Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-13, 03:35 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

How to ease back into exercise?

I have not exercised in 2 weeks. I was having pains in my right hip & leg (sciatica nerve I think) It is finally feeling better & I was wondering what would be the best way to ease back into exercising so that I don't injure myself again?
Just to let you know, I am 68 yrs. old.

What has worked for you?

Thank You!!!
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 04:05 PM  
PrairieGem

I tweaked my neck last week (too much sitting on the floor working on stuff with my head bent down), and I'm finding that gentle cardio, like Leslies, with lots of stretchy arm movements seem to make my achy neck the happiest. But when my hips are acting up (I have bursitis), I try to stick to things with very little walking or any kind of impact--do you do any Pilates or yoga? (Standing barre work might put too much strain on your hips.)

I'd stick to about 20 minutes to start.

FWIW... I'm almost 39.
Old 03-03-13, 06:43 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I'm right with you Prairie Gem. I have tweaked my neck recently too. I'm doing walking workouts and non weighted lower body. I am enjoying Walking for Weight loss with Madeline Lewis and KCM Body Training. Also some lower body Pilates. Holding off on core work.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 07:51 PM  
cpcathy

Embarrassingly, I took all of November and December off. My friend at work (bless her!) got me into walking on our break, come hell or highwater! We walk about a mile every day. I've been keeping it to that but then I throw in a DVD workout on the weekends and I think I'm about ready to do a workout even after walking that day, something easy, today was good ole' Tamilee Webb cardio.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 07:53 PM  
Snuckles

Yeah, my right arm is messed up and I tweeked my knee trying not to slip on ice while taking a picture of a snowman.

I'm focusing on Classical Stretch, Essentrics and Walking workouts. I don't typically like Leslie so we'll see how long that last. I'm hoping I can continue with this for about two weeks before jumping back into my usual stuff.
Old 03-03-13, 08:55 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Rachel, I recommend doing some walking for cardio (I noticed in a past post that you have a treadmill), starting out with 10-15 minutes at a slow speed, and gradually adding more time and speed as time goes on. Since you have done the Firm, then how about doing the easier Firms, like Firm Basics (or if you have the more advanced Firm workouts, then I recommend doing them with no weights for lower body for a while, and gradually adding weights). You may want to avoid doing anything that involves pressure on the hips, like leg lifts (definitely no ankle weights), or squats and lunges.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 09:00 PM  
F1mom

Walking, outside if you can, with a walking DVD if not. I started today with 20 minutes. Got some cardio and made my dog very happy.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 11:05 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

Thank you every one for your help!
FitBoop,
Yes, I do have a treadmill - so that is what I think that I will do is 10-15 min. on it one day then the next day do some light weight workouts. I have the Firm Basic's workouts, that is a good idea to use them, then work up to the other Firms.
Do you know if there is a list anywhere of the Firms telling which are the easiest to hardest?
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 11:10 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

If you're thinking of the older classic Firms, I'd say the Basics and Prime Power videos are the easiest, followed by the tri-trainers (Fat Blaster, Maximum Body Shaping, Better Body & Buns) which are more challenging.

After that, it could be the cross-trainers (Cardio/Strength or Tortosie/Hare), the classic six volumes, etc. To me they're all fairly similar intensity.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 07:08 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel*Jacobs View Post
I have not exercised in 2 weeks. I was having pains in my right hip & leg (sciatica nerve I think) It is finally feeling better & I was wondering what would be the best way to ease back into exercising so that I don't injure myself again?
Just to let you know, I am 68 yrs. old.

What has worked for you?

Thank You!!!
This is a chronic problem which can easily be retriggered and never fully avoided. Mostly it is because of poor alignment. It started in my 20's and I am well into my 60's now.
What works best for me is to remember to keep my back as extended as possible, lifting up and away from the hips, keeping the core strong and not just when exercising but when sitting too. Avoid all moves that can trigger the problem or should be approached very cautiously. Ironically, for me, that means many back stretches. Keep a list of moves that feel safe or better yet, help keep the area feeling lubricated and loose. These moves can be done daily at the end of your workout or when you feel the area is becoming compromised.
Nobody can tell you what is best for your own body. You have to carefully find out whatever works for you and whatever to avoid.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote