Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-13, 08:50 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I am assuming there is no way to capture the streaming you are paying for on some type of media.

Is that true?

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:22 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

While I prefer DVDs, I can appreciate instructors wanting to move away from the DVD market. I'm sure it is expensive to produce and distribute DVDs, not to mention the hassles of defective discs, etc.

As for downloads v. streaming, downloads make MUCH more sense for exercise because obviously, you want people to do the workout more than once. It's not like a movie or TV show. The only workout method for which streaming would make sense to me is TA's Meta, in which she only intends you to do a workout ten times before moving on to the next level.

Certainly streaming is cheaper for the consumer than live classes, but classes give you a distraction-free venue, variety and most importantly--the opportunity for form correction from an instructor who can actually SEE and TOUCH you. That's certainly worth the extra cost of a live class.

If DVDs aren't profitable for instructors, I wish they would just come out and say that. I feel like they're trying to sell streaming workouts as though they are somehow more beneficial to the customer, when in fact, they just seem to be a revenue opportunity for the instructor.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:46 AM  
sunday

I actually prefer streaming workouts. I belong to three streaming sites, cost $7 per month for each, though I may be dropping one as I'm just trying it for a month. For $21 I get hundreds of options. With my craving for variety, buying a dvd, maybe using it once, and then getting rid of it is a big waste of money. I have and have had hundreds; the number I get rid of is amazing, and I see it as all wasted in the end. Plus the storage is another story.

I still buy dvds, but I've really cut down, and I'm usually more disappointed than not. With the streaming I can change up my options daily if I want. I also like to mix up dvd and streaming workouts for greater variety.

*Additionally, two of the sites allow you to purchase the individual workouts for like $2.99 a piece if you want.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:55 AM  
PeakFitness

I think digital is the future, but I think right now the instructors are playing with prices, to see what they can get away with, and what people are willing to pay. I don't think overpriced streaming is going to be the norm - I think the more affordable monthly/yearly fees appeal to more people.
Old 01-04-13, 10:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
I think digital is the future, but I think right now the instructors are playing with prices, to see what they can get away with, and what people are willing to pay. I don't think overpriced streaming is going to be the norm - I think the more affordable monthly/yearly fees appeal to more people.
Let's hope this is the case!

Sunday, at those prices, I can appreciate the appeal of a streaming site.

For me, though, it's not just about price. I find working out on my laptop totally impossible wtih my kids around and even though we have fast internet, there are plenty of inconveniences to watching things online.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 10:38 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I actually prefer streaming workouts. I belong to three streaming sites, cost $7 per month for each, though I may be dropping one as I'm just trying it for a month. For $21 I get hundreds of options. With my craving for variety, buying a dvd, maybe using it once, and then getting rid of it is a big waste of money. I have and have had hundreds; the number I get rid of is amazing, and I see it as all wasted in the end. Plus the storage is another story.

I still buy dvds, but I've really cut down, and I'm usually more disappointed than not. With the streaming I can change up my options daily if I want. I also like to mix up dvd and streaming workouts for greater variety.

*Additionally, two of the sites allow you to purchase the individual workouts for like $2.99 a piece if you want.
Sunday, which sites would you recommend as having very reasonable rates? I don't like viewing workouts on my laptop, but I have enjoyed the variety of some on-line sites that I tried for free.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 10:39 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I am assuming there is no way to capture the streaming you are paying for on some type of media.

Is that true?
There is software that will allow you to capture streaming media. Unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to help you out with the details.
Old 01-04-13, 10:43 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH View Post
There is software that will allow you to capture streaming media. Unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to help you out with the details.
That's at your own risk. It is illegal and there is probably a big old legal notice you agree to when you sign up.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 10:43 AM  
starbelly

I think, perhaps, the question has become muddled. Should we distinguish between streaming only (nothing retained after the time window is over) and downloads (the program can be saved and copied to DVD if desired)?

What is an acceptable price point for downloads? I think that Ballet Beautiful is very overpriced at $10 for 15 minutes but I would buy if the price were half that since that would be $20 for a full one hour workout. Still, I would prefer to have something in my hands for that kind of money since many DVDs cost less than that.

I am OK with a certain amount for streaming if the library is large enough. Some yoga sites (myyogaonline and yogaglo) have huge searchable libraries and the cost per month is less than a drop in class. There are many styles available and the content looks very professional. You don't retain anything after the subscription expires, but the cost is low for what you get.

I'm curious as to why/how streaming content for sites with multiple contributors costs less than for Barre3 or Physique 57. Yogaglo provides a lot of original content for $18 per month (I am not a subscriber) yet P57 wants $5 for 48 hours of their stuff. Who does this math?
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 10:49 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Myyogaonline does allow you to also purchase downloads of most classes. This is a wonderful option. I love my Ballet Beautiful DVDs but there is no way I would pay Mary Helen Bowers' streaming prices. Eventually she will probably come out with another DVD and I will consider getting it then.

Tags
ballet beautiful, high cost, mary helen bowers, physique 57, prices, streaming, streaming workouts