Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-13, 07:59 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Cost of Streaming Workouts

As many of you know, I was pretty steamed when Physique 57 came out with non-downloadable online streaming workouts for $5/24hr period (later extended to 48hr. access.) Many of us had a good kvetch about how pricey that was and compared the cost to other, less-expensive streaming sites.

I just checked out Mary Helen Bowers' Ballet Beautiful site and she is charging TEN dollars for only FIFTEEN minute workouts!! Stop the insanity! In her book, she describes online workouts as 'the future of the fitness industry.'

Someone please tell me this is, in fact, NOT the future of the fitness industry...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 08:05 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
As many of you know, I was pretty steamed when Physique 57 came out with non-downloadable online streaming workouts for $5/24hr period (later extended to 48hr. access.) Many of us had a good kvetch about how pricey that was and compared the cost to other, less-expensive streaming sites.

I just checked out Mary Helen Bowers' Ballet Beautiful site and she is charging TEN dollars for only FIFTEEN minute workouts!! Stop the insanity! In her book, she describes online workouts as 'the future of the fitness industry.'

Someone please tell me this is, in fact, NOT the future of the fitness industry...
I agree.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 08:07 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Why do I have to be in love with a fitness method that loves to be 'exclusive' and chic? Why can't I love Jillian Michaels, whose DVDs can be purchased anywhere for the price of a stick of gum?
Old 01-04-13, 02:56 AM  
starbelly

I'm really interested in some of the new blasts, but I'm not willing to spend $10 for 15 minutes of content. Her DVDs are under $15 for nearly an hour's worth of material so the pricing is definitely off, especially since you do not get anything tangible in exchange (what happens if your computer crashes?). If this is the future of fitness then I want to remain in the past.

I'm strongly considering myyogaonline.com which is $75 for a year's worth of unlimited access. There are so many professionally produced segments on there that it seems like a great deal. The downloads on there are much more competitively priced that what Mary Helen Bowers wants.

Last edited by starbelly; 01-04-13 at 04:03 AM. Reason: ETA
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 05:17 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I borrowed Mary Helen's book from the library. I'm not particularly interested in her method, but thought it might be interesting to read about it. After seeing her pricing structure, I am completely turned off from even trying it. I don't need another expensive fitness addiction!
Old 01-04-13, 06:55 AM  
SquishyMommy

Wow. This is making me appreciate Barre3's streaming workouts so much more! They offer unlimited access to the videos for $15.00/month. I figured I would spend this on at least one dvd per month anyway. I also like that she has different length workouts so I can choose a video that fits my schedule for the day. I don't know how often she will be posting new workouts, but there is a nice collection already that can keep me busy for awhile.
Old 01-04-13, 06:58 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I have always looked at how many minutes of workout per dollar spent.

For downloads, streaming or DVDs, there is no way I would spend this kind of money.

This is why I don't like downloads, same price but more tenuous in ownership.

If only I were that frugal with candy/sugar. But those last forever, on the hips/gut, I guess.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 08:18 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
If only I were that frugal with candy/sugar. But those last forever, on the hips/gut, I guess.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 08:37 AM  
hotncmom

I have been doing downloads for a while (Ballet Body), and I really love being able to have instant gratification, instead of having to wait a few days to receive a DVD in the mail. But these are downloads you keep, not streaming workouts. I haven't touched streaming workouts. I won't say never, but bandwidth is frequently an issue (I have 2 kids who love their online games and we also get all of our TV from Netflix), so I worry about the workouts stopping and starting.

As far as pricing for downloads, I do think that the pricing is a bit on the high end ($3.99 for about 15-20 minutes of content). You would think that since they don't have to pay people to burn, replicate, create cover art, package, and distribute the DVD, that the prices could be lower.

But for better or worse, I do think that downloads and streaming are the future of the fitness industry, just as they have been for the music and TV industry.

I think Barre3 sounds like a good deal, streaming or not. Think of how much you would need to pay for live classes. I took a live class for the first time in years and it was $16 for drop in. They have a package special for $120 for 10 classes, but that's still a lot (for the place I went). I didn't mind paying that for Pilates mat classes where there were only 8 people in the class and the teacher did hands on form adjustments, but for a class of 16 where the instructor just shouted barely audible form tips over loud music, it's not worth it. And just think about a gym membership cost. I belong to the Y and it's $45/month for just me and there is only one class that interests me, and it meets at an inconvenient time. So I think streaming classes are a pretty good deal in general (not P57 or Ballet Beautiful), as opposed to paying for live classes.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 08:45 AM  
suegy3

I think that Terri Walsh's ART Method website is cheapest. I believe that it's $7 per month and there are long and shorter 30 minute workouts to choose from.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet beautiful, high cost, mary helen bowers, physique 57, prices, streaming, streaming workouts