Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-12, 09:54 PM  
princess76

I doubt it. Netflix's streaming workout video selection is horrible. Gaiam Tv looks good, but it's expensive.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 09:57 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Given the difficulty people are increasingly having selling or trading DVDs, I don't think most releases can really be looked at as an investment any longer, as you're unlikely to recoup much of the initial outlay in the future. However, I still feel like DVDs are a better deal than digital copies - especially anything involving streaming --- especially given many cost nearly the same as DVDs.

It's easy to preserve and protect DVDs and, as physical assets, they can be covered by insurance in case anything extreme happens and you lose your collection. There are a host of potential problems with digital copies:

- compatability issues: I don't think DVD players are going away anytime, but files often became incompatible/unreadable with newer versions of programs, or can become corrupted.
- data loss: it's pretty easy to lose files, and most vendors won't guarantee you a backup copy if it happens.
- internet issues: many people have to pay by data use, so streaming workouts continue to cost you more each time you use them. If you have slow internet access, downloads aren't even an option.

I can see digital options, especially streaming, being a good option for variety junkies, assuming they're cheaper than DVDs. But, just as an example, I paid $15 for a copy of Yoga Shakti about eight years ago and have used it literally hundreds of times, and will probably continue to use it for many years to come. The disc is still in perfect shape, because I take care of my things, and I could probably easily trade or sell it tomorrow if I wanted. If my house burns down tomorrow (god forbid) I can replace it with insurance money. In that 8 year period, I've gone through three computers, one after the motherboard fried, causing us to lose everything on the hard drives. Even though I was an early adapter in terms of digital audio and video files, I only have one or two files that I used eight years ago, and I don't anticipate probably using any of the digital files I use now in eight years time.

This is my long winded way to say - no - I don't think you can ever look at digital files as an investment of any kind. When you spend money on something intangible like that, you have to face the fact that it's gone forever, and likely for something more temporary than if you bought something material.
I agree, and can't believe Yoga Shakhti is that old!
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 10:00 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

DVDs are an investment to ME, and only me! I don't buy them for resale value, but only as source of enjoyment, relaxation and health for me. I don't care if I don't get back a penny on a dollar from selling them - twenty years from now. Since I don't sell my dvds anyway, it's a moot point for me, and my health benefits far outweigh the cost.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 02:58 AM  
jacs

I'm another one that doesn't trade, but fitness DVDs save me lots of money on health related issues and are cheaper per month at my current purchase rate than a gym membership. They also give me a great deal of pleasure. I'm not looking forward to a streaming future.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:14 AM  
goldillocks

I love my dvds too. No streaming and downloads for me thank you.
I don't understand the popularity of downloads. Yes they provide instant gratification than waiting for the dvd to arrive in the post but is the picture quality as good ?
And what about chaptering, premixes and music on/off options ?
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:39 AM  
pgun3

yes dvds are for me. i live too far out for even dsl internet so downloading is a no go for me. also I really don't like to purchase stuff like workouts that I can't hold in my hand, it would take too much for me to save the download, keep track of it and hope that I don't lose it if my computer gets a virus.
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:50 AM  
fit1

I hardly trade. I buy fitness DVDs because I enjoy working out at home in front of a large TV. I do not like working out in front of a laptop or a computer monitor. I work out in a 40" TV - actually I would have preferred a larger screen but my workout room is just 130 sq ft so my 40" TV is just the right size. I have some downloaded workouts but I asked someone to download for me because I'm not really computer savvy when it comes to hardware and software. I'm also worried if I download all my workouts on my hard drive, what if my computer gets a virus or my hard drive malfunctions or gets damaged? Anyway, so my friend would either burn it on DVD or copy the workout to USB which I can plug into my TV. I still prefer my good ole DVDs though.
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 06:26 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
I love my dvds too. No streaming and downloads for me thank you. I don't understand the popularity of downloads. Yes they provide instant gratification than waiting for the dvd to arrive in the post but is the picture quality as good ?
YES!!! I am just getting back to working out after an embarrassingly long hiatus. A while back I had purchased a few Cathe downloads (some of her more basic stuff) and guess what? I just ordered them in DVD the other day. I do not want to miss out on any of the premixes, or other options like that.

My last external hard drive fried and I lost a LOT of stuff on there. I just don't like having everything electronically stored.
Old 04-18-12, 07:02 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
I love my dvds too. No streaming and downloads for me thank you.
I don't understand the popularity of downloads. Yes they provide instant gratification than waiting for the dvd to arrive in the post but is the picture quality as good ?
For me to switch to downloads, they would have to offer a lot more features than DVDs offer. Such as: ability to add your own music, turn the instructor's voice on or off, adjust the SPEED (so many of today's strength workouts go too fast for me), mix and match segments, and some of the things video games offer like choice of backgrounds and outfits or automatic workout calendar recording. I'm sure these things are possible, they're just not being offered.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 07:17 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
DVDs are an investment to ME, and only me! I don't buy them for resale value, but only as source of enjoyment, relaxation and health for me. I don't care if I don't get back a penny on a dollar from selling them - twenty years from now. Since I don't sell my dvds anyway, it's a moot point for me, and my health benefits far outweigh the cost.
Me too - I never thought of my dvd's as an "investment" in anything but my health. While I do have Netflix now, and can stream something if I want, I think I'm still just a little skeptical about the whole thing. I can't even describe it. Maybe it's like others have posted. If I own it, I want to be able to hold it, take it with me, maybe lend it out, share with others. This whole cloud thing is too intangible for me. I just want to pop in the dvd (or VHS, and yes, I have though, too) and "play".

Tags
dvd, dvds, streaming, streaming video, streaming videos