Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-11, 03:22 PM  
SpiritSong

Question for those who subscribe

to streaming video services like ExerciseTV or the like.

Is there a down side I should be aware of? Someone posted about GaiamTV and it looks like a great deal ($9.95/month). I would have access to hundreds of yoga workouts, plus a lot of those old Leslie videos people mention that I have never seen (Yoga Walk, Short Cuts, etc.). For about the cost of one DVD per month, I would have the opportunity to try all sorts of different workouts. As opposed to ExerciseTV, these would be workouts and instructors I've heard about and wanted to try.

I have a laptop computer with wireless internet access that I could bring to my workout room. Would the wireless connection be a problem receiving the streaming workout?

It seems like such a good deal, so I figure I must be missing something.
Old 10-06-11, 03:44 PM  
topfitmama

I have an Exercise TV Premium Pass that has given me access to workouts like Yogaworks, 10 lb slimdown and 10 lb slimdown xtreme, plus both Chris's walking workouts... there are many well known instructors on Exercise TV too

I don't know if the membership offers free downloads any more. The site has changed a lot in the last few months, and I didn't read anything about free downloads when you purchase a membership. I like downloads because my internet is not always that amazing, and I can save the workouts onto a gadget that I can plug into the TV, so if I were to pay for a membership, I'd want the deal to include something I can keep.

I don't know of any downsides to Premium pass. There's no contract and you can cancel any time.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:49 PM  
SpiritSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
II don't know of any downsides to Premium pass. There's no contract and you can cancel any time.
This is one of the things that is pushing me to try this (maybe in January, since I think this would violate my no-buy). It has a ten day trial period, so if it didn't work out with my computer, I could cancel before paying. Plus if I find I've done all the workouts I want, or I'm always reaching for my DVDs at home instead, I could cancel my subscription.
Old 10-06-11, 04:16 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I belong to Gymbox. It's $10 a month and streams through a Roku, samsung dvd player or Boxee Box on the computer. My computer does not stream well, so I don't use the Boxee Box option. Since it's my computer and not the internet, I'd be leary if your machine doesn't stream well to begin with.

Love Gymbox, they have 700 workouts online and these are more along the lines of CIA Videos than Denise Austin. They put out new workouts in about 10 categories every Monday. You can try it free for a week. They do have yoga, but neither of their instructors work for me, AT ALL. But of course your mileage will vary, you could try it out. They have yoga, pilates, treadmill, cycle, kickbox, strength, step, bootcampish, and dance.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 02:21 AM  
topfitmama

I joined Beyou.Tv for free to try out Bernadette Giorgi's workouts. They charge $14.99/month, and you get one week free, workouts stream ad-free, and you get a 15% discount off downloads. You can also get a free account but workouts will be interrupted by ads.

Make sure you cancel your subscription a day before it expires if you decide it's not for you! IIRC, you still have access to all the workouts until your trial period expires.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 04:35 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I subscribe to YogaGlo. The downsides are that I can't use a class unless I have WiFi service. So for example if I'm camping at a state park, I don't have access to them. Also, when Apple rolled out the new OS X Lion, I had problems with the high definition video stream stopping. Instead, I switch over to "low bandwidth" and have no problems. For me, considering how much I love YogaGlo, the downsides are irrelevant.

Otherwise, the service flows exactly like putting in a DVD. With your setup, I don't think you'll have any problems. Maybe the site you are considering has a short free trial period that you could experiment before committing?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:44 AM  
beatchica

I have been using this exercise TV like website out of the UK, although I live in the US. They take PayPal so payment is not an issue. I am finding it a much better value than Exercise TV and I am loving the selection of videos and prices, the average cost per video is about $1 at most! Plus there is a LARGE amount of Free full length videos. The production quality, in particular the instructors and the music, are great.
http://www.thinqfitness.com/
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 02:42 PM  
pcramer

It's funny, I just discovered GaiamTV yesterday. I am seriously considering subscribing to this at least for the 10-day trial to check it out. It almost looks to good to be true

Tags
streaming, streaming video