Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-17, 12:39 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Need streaming help

I'm very low tech and have avoided streaming thus far mainly for that reason, among others, but I have been enjoying my barre3 dvds lately so decided to try the 15 day streaming trial. I have an old laptop with no hdmi port but I have a newer smart tv so I figured I'm good. My son showed me how to get to the website I wanted but it took forever for me to input my account information using the browser thingy on the remote. I tried it again this morning and it took me literally 20 minutes to log in my information and another 20 minutes to try to navigate to the videos. I'm seriously not exaggerating on the time. The remote is very clumsy to navigate and the screen kept timing out and I had to restore it numerous times. I know there has to be an easier way to do this. There is no way it should take 40 minutes to get to a video to work out. That's my whole workout time right there. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I never was able to get a video to play so I had to work out from my laptop. Very frustrating. I did love the workout I did though, so there is a silver lining somewhere in all of this .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 01:12 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I can relate. I have had nightmares with streaming. I have an old laptop with HDMI, that I was using to stream SBF with, and it no longer works. My newer laptop has an HDMI port that apparently doesn't work correctly so I can't use that either. I also tried the browser on my smart TV, and like you, I found that it is terrible. It takes forever to put in the info, it is just awful.
I am now using my IPad with an AV Lightning Adapter. I sometime just use my laptop too, but I prefer it on the bigger screen. I don't really have any advice for you, but I sure hope someone else out there has some good advice about the smart TV browsers. I sure haven't been able to figure out how to make it work better
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 04:26 PM  
bayportsmom

I bought a chromecast device at Walmart for $30, it lets you send content from your phone or laptop to your smart tv. It's one of the best purchases Ive ever made! It seems like there are a few sites that didn't work with my iPhone, but did work through my laptop. We also bought my son a cheaper Roku (about $50) when he went to college. It seems to work in the same way.
Old 04-27-17, 07:20 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, Sherry, for understanding and making me not feel like a total idiot. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Thank you also, bayportsmom, for your reply. I will definitely look into the chromecast device. My daughter has a roku so maybe I can ask her for some help with that too. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
Old 04-27-17, 08:05 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Thanks, Sherry, for understanding and making me not feel like a total idiot. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Thank you also, bayportsmom, for your reply. I will definitely look into the chromecast device. My daughter has a roku so maybe I can ask her for some help with that too. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
You are definitely not alone! I am so glad you asked about this, because I am still trying to figure it all out too!
Sherry
Old 04-27-17, 08:07 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post

I have a Roku in my exercise room. I use it when I want to use workouts on YouTube. I was told by a geek at Best Buy that you could not use it for streaming off of a device such as a laptop or tablet. I am so confused
I don't have a Chromecast.
Old 04-27-17, 08:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
I have a Roku in my exercise room. I use it when I want to use workouts on YouTube. I was told by a geek at Best Buy that you could not use it for streaming off of a device such as a laptop or tablet. I am so confused
I don't have a Chromecast.

My daughter told me I couldn't use the roku the way I wanted but needed to download an app or somesuch. It didn't make sense to me either . Hopefully we can both figure this out.
Old 04-27-17, 08:33 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I second the Chromecast! It's only $35 and caveman-easy to set up and use. If you have a Windows laptop and the Chrome browser, putting a video on your TV (or "casting") is as easy as opening the video and clicking on the rectangular Chromecast icon. You can even buy a cheap Android smartphone or tablet and use it as a remote. I'm watching one of the sample Barre3 videos right now on the TV via Chromecast

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 08:40 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, Sue! Caveman-easy, now that's what I'm talking about. I'm actually becoming hopeful this will work for me.
Old 04-27-17, 10:57 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

The Chromecast sounds perfect! It sounds simple, and I already have a cheap android smart phone!
Sherry

Tags
streaming, streaming help