Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-11, 01:52 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Amazon Prime has new streaming benefit, but looks like workouts cost.

According to Books on the Knob, paid Amazon Prime membership (not the student or mom versions) gets you instant access to online movies and TV shows. But when I put "fitness" in the search line, almost all
results cost you $$$$. We won't even discuss that it showed Brook Hogan's show (and I can't imagine who would pay $1.99 to view that, but I digress).

They do have lots of workouts, though, that would be great to access. Anybody have any better/more complete info?

Netflix needs to watch its back. Saw a piece on one of the money shows about how its basic business model is not conducive to long-term success.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)

Last edited by paideiamom; 02-22-11 at 02:05 PM. Reason: iPad wackiness.
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 01:57 PM  
mamaste

This is just the beginning. Expect to see more titles added to the library in the future.
Old 02-22-11, 02:05 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Just did a minimum amount of researching.
According to the Wasington Post, Amazon has only 1669 free streaming "movies," but 34,862 total. I don't know what they classify as a movie, but I doubt it would include workout DVDs.
If anybody finds any "freebies," let us know.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 02-22-11, 02:10 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

The details are on their front page:

Amazon Prime Movie Streaming feature

The Prime movies are listed here:

Prime Eligible Movies
Old 02-22-11, 02:33 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I don't think I have ever seen Amazon's home page before. That's good to see.

It just takes me straight to my account. The Washington Post says it only shows 1669 movies eligible for free Prime, with 484 TV series.

Anyway, if anybody finds free exercise, let us know.

Words matter.

Old 02-22-11, 02:42 PM  
mamaste

There are no free exercise right now. Because Netflix does offer them, I expect that to change in the future. Netflix didn't initially offer any fitness videos when they launched streaming. The videos being offered for free are limited. That will definitely change in the future with more free content being offered.
Old 02-22-11, 02:44 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post

Anyway, if anybody finds free exercise, let us know.
Renda, I don't think it matters because Amazon has crappy exercise videos. A couple of months ago I was trying to use up some video credits and I was hard pressed to find any exercise videos that I wanted.

Anyhow, I am pleased with the new streaming feature. I'm a happy Amazon Prime customer.
Old 02-23-11, 08:37 AM  
aunatural

I know. . I must have gone through the exercise On Demand videos at least 5 times and nothing. I already have most of the Exercise TV ones and the other ones just don't appeal to me or I think they're overpriced. Why would I pay $9.99 for a digital copy of Fat Burning Pilates when I can get the DVD so much cheaper, if not free from Swapadvd? I've decided to rent the Swedish version of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Unfortunately, that leaves me with just over $1 left of my $5 credit so I'm trying to find something else.

ETA: I just saw that "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is available for free streaming to Prime members. Crap! Back to square one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
Renda, I don't think it matters because Amazon has crappy exercise videos. A couple of months ago I was trying to use up some video credits and I was hard pressed to find any exercise videos that I wanted.

Anyhow, I am pleased with the new streaming feature. I'm a happy Amazon Prime customer.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon prime, amazon.com, streaming