Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-24, 12:32 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Margot, I wondered what the local public thought about H & M, in some ways he seems a little vulnerable. I don’t like to see family members estranged, sad. It’s probably something that H will come to regret, if he hasn’t already.

Pat, I think I’m going to have to put the doggy on “happy” pills, probably something in the benzo family. Our vet wasn’t really for it, but I would rather she live in a happy euphoric state versus the current anxiety and fear. I’m the only human she really cares for, so rehoming is not an option and not really something I would even think about. The vet brought it up, but it would be cruel to her. On the other hand, I can’t let it get to the point where she does bite someone. I didn’t find behavior therapy to be very effective. I don't know what happened to that poor pup to make her that way; she's 4 now.

Summer breeze, that’s sad about your DD. Sometimes those dreams can seem so real, especially in that space between sleep and waking up. How old was she when he died?

Hi Diane, I hope you were able to shovel out!

Donna, it’s so horrific to think about someone plunging into that water in the still of the night, probably the only lights were from the bridge?

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-24, 01:57 PM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone,

I had another appointment with the dentist so I’m a bit late with my check in.

Yesterday afternoon I did Tiff & Dan’s 8 Minute total abs and Kassandra’s Day 4 Flexible Body “Remember”

Today’s workout:
  • Treadmill Incline Walk
  • 80 KB Swings
  • Stretch

Pat: I’m sorry about your nightmare. These are extremely stressful times. I totally get it. Still, you at least managed to get some movement in.

Oh man. I’m so, so done with snow. This was a lot of heavy snow – icy and just a nuisance. Your poor grandnephew and the sheep! I hope they have an area with lots of hay to snuggle in. I notice the birds are losing their minds and I’ve been feeding twice a day. I think they thought spring was here – didn’t we all? This just messed up their instinctual schedule.

My first thought on the bridge collapse was terrorism but the captain did a May Day call just before the crash. I think there had to be a malfunction. We’ll find out in the next few days. I just hope the loss of life is small to, preferably, none.

Beth: I’m sorry about the insomnia and your poor Vizsla. Poor baby – I hope there’s some meds that can help her feel better. I know how difficult it is about the “other options” but, for me, if my animal is just existing and not able to live happily and normally, then I know what to do. Fear aggression is very, very difficult to work with. Sending you {{{hugs}}} – these are difficult decisions.

There are so many good drugs out there for pets so I’m sure they’ll be able to come up with something. Poor baby, it can’t be fun for her. Vizslas are such gorgeous dogs. I have a friend in Costa Rica who has a couple of Vizslas. They are just so sleek and regal looking.

Yes, I agree about the chemicals used on crops, etc. I always worry about our lawn guy. He sprays the lawns for weeds, crab grass, grubs, etc. and I wonder what that could be doing to him.

Pam: Good workouts!!!! Your workouts sounds so wonderful – relaxing, refreshing!

Donna: Oh dear god, Donna – the bridge collapse! Apparently before the ship hit the bridge, they put out a May Day call so I don’t think it was terrorism. I said the same thing to DH – thankful that this happened at 1:30 a.m. and not at 6:00 pm with rush hour traffic. I’m so sad for those who most likely lost their lives.

I remember when the Mianus River Bridge collapsed in Cos Cob, Connecticut back in the 80s. We frequently would travel up to CT for weekends and always went over that bridge as it was on a major highway - I95. I don’t think there’s anything more frightening than this.

https://connecticuthistory.org/mianu...ay-in-history/

Margot: Good workouts! I need to focus on balance work more in my practices – thanks for the reminder!

Like Beth, I’m sad about Meghan & Harry. Whatever the reason for the estrangement, families are complicated and more so if one lives in the public eye.

Summer Breeze: California has been having weird weather but aren’t we all? SoCal is under high wave advisories and San Diego is having wind advisories. Wind=fire danger in California so I hope that won’t be the case. I figured your friend in Chatham didn’t get much snow. Albany, which is 30 minutes south of us, got about 2 inches as well.

Well, that’s it for me. I’m headed inside for a nap before abs and yoga. See you all tomorrow!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-24, 06:31 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I did one round of the bathing suit workout, which was fine; it clocked in around 20 minutes. Then I had more meetings today and went for a short walk. I'm starting to get some definition in my shoulders and abs, so I'm pretty excited about that! Workout pants are a little looser too, but time will tell.

Diane, thank you for the kind words. Yes, our vet is sympathetic but has said the medications that I'm now interested in will shorten her lifespan, by how much we don't know. At this point, I don't think I have many options left. Friends don't enjoy coming to our home, I keep blinds closed because open windows upset her, she can't be walked near other people or animals, for some reason she seriously loathes babies and young children, which is concerning to me as she's 45 pounds. Anyway, I have to go to Houston later this week, furr babies are coming with us, and when I get back I'll schedule another visit to the vet.

Beth
Old 03-27-24, 06:59 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

The research says heel drops are very good for bone building. How high you lift & how hard you come down is all about how your bones are, whether you have healthy bones, osteopenia, or osteoporosis. I am on the borderline of healthy & osteopenia. I must say I can feel them reverberate all the way up through my body. Here is a short video by an PT explaining all that along with good form.
https://youtu.be/o4J7V_qRuPI?si=qdmQqzijJ5vdEr6A

Yesterdays activities, a gentle post massage recovery day:
~ETV: Full Body Pain Relief with Sahra
~Standing & chair yoga on my own: side bends, hip openers, hamstring/QL stretches all standing + crescent moon, side angle, twist, & figure 4 seated on a chair
~100 heel drops
~Village & beach walk
~Ocean float

Beth - I totally understand why you’d want to consider happy pills with your pup. You don’t want her to be constantly stressed and at some point bite someone, especially a child. Even if it does shorten her life a bit I think it’s worth considering, quality is better than quantity. It’s a tough decision. I worked with the elderly for years in long term care. My criteria for using sedation, particularly with dementia residents, was if they were in distress or physically aggressive. ETA Not that I necessarily want to compare dogs and elderly people, but anxiety is anxiety and it’s not a good feeling!

Donna - The bridge collapse was tragic, but I agree that it could have been far worse at a busy time of day.
Surely Jenny Ford could find some better music! I assume it has to do with affordability.
Good luck with the kitchen renos!

Waves to Diane, Pat, summer breeze, & Margot!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 07:56 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on a Trifecta Pilates practice after work - Pilates Mobility Routine It was a nice gentle practice. I didn't get a walk in b/c I had my kitchen estimate scheduled (more on that later!)

Today, so far:

Jessica Smith - Balance & Agility - this is from WS 20 - which is probably my favorite of the "Walk Strong" collections. It had been awhile since I did this one and I enjoyed it.

I will try for a walk later, but it is raining so it may have to be an indoor walk.

On the kitchen - this is a national chain/company - and i'm a bit leery of going with them. They didn't give us a firm estimate - we have to go to their showroom to see the "design" and pick materials, etc. We have an appointment to do that on Saturday. I think we'll go, and I think they will be cheaper than my regular guy (who is just an independent contractor). I'm leaning towards not going with this company because I think what I will get will be a cookie cutter recommendation from them - it looks like they offer package deals and I won't be able to get the customizations I may want. I know my guy will be more expensive, but I know his quality of work and his work ethic - so I know it will be good. Plus while I have my kitchen torn apart there are things I want to fix - that these guys may not deal with. I think if I were sure we were moving soon I would go with the cheaper option - but we may be staying here for the long haul I guess I'll see what comes of the estimate. I already told DH we are not signing anything on Saturday! I also wonder if they entice you in with a lower price but then as you start adding things it goes way up.

I do know that the guy we have used before will be easy to work with, will get it done, and will make sure it is right...and that is a big deal when you are doing something as "invasive" disruptive and expensive as a kitchen remodel! He did our 3 bathrooms and they turned out great. No issues. The only time he missed a deadline for us is when he got COVID and had to take a week off. I worry about the headaches of dealing with a large company - if something goes wrong - do I have to deal with "corporate"?

On the workout front - I'm enjoying Jessica's fusion collection! I always feel with the start of a new month that I should switch gears, but I think I'll stick with this for at least 4 weeks. Jessica Valant is doing a core challenge in April, but it sounds like just 10 min workouts that I can add on to Jessica's Fusion stuff.

Anyway - we shall see - my mind is always subject to change!

Beth - Good luck with your doggie, it is difficult.

Take care,
Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 08:36 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

Hope everyone is doing well. It’s rainy so a good day to for indoor stuff. We’re getting our annual eye exams. This is particularly important for me as glaucoma runs on my mom’s side of the family. My mom was almost 100% blind when she passed and her brother was 100% blind. I’m hoping that the mix with my father’s genes will help me avoid this. Anyway….

Yesterday afternoon I did 8 MIN LOWER ABS WORKOUT from Tiff & Dan

Today’s Workout:
  • BE Good n Strong vol 2: Pecs, triceps, biceps, delts, calves, abs, inner thighs, outer thighs, glutes, hamstrings – this was a good workout – even the abs!
  • 136 Dips
  • Stretch

Beth: I remember the bathing suit workout – I think I have that somewhere! Good job on the definition and loose pants!!!! I think the consistency is what really does it for us. That’s such an accomplishment as we’re all not in our 20s anymore!

Animals are my heart. I had neighbors that had to keep their blinds drawn as their dog would bark all day, even if it was a bird. Poor baby – I wonder if she doesn’t like babies and young kids because they’re more active and noisy. I hope you and your vet can come up with some solutions. My heart breaks for your pup and for you. These decisions never get any easier no matter how many furkids we have. {{Hugs}}

Pam: Heel drops – I just watched the video – I have to say I love her house! Anyway, this is something I think I’m going to incorporate into my workouts. It cannot hurt and it certainly can help! So simple yet has so much benefit!

Good workouts! Enjoy the last few days of your wonderful holiday!

Donna: Good workouts – it’s raining here so no chance of a walk today for me as well.

Be very careful of these national chains – I would research and look at reviews carefully. I have never used one but some have horrendous reviews. The company may be good but the contractor who it is subcontracted to could be terrible. Sometimes the saying “you get what you pay for” is very true.

About two months ago, I had to have shower doors installed in my bathroom. I got all kinds of estimates – some completely insane – but went with our regular contractor who did our basement when we first built the house. He stands behind his work and he is meticulous. Anyway, he had me go to a few companies to pick out what we wanted. Each time I texted him the quote and he would say, “Nope. Too much. Let’s try so and so.” I ended up with beautiful doors, which makes the bathroom look so much cleaner and brighter and he installed it in an hour. No regrets. If your guy does good work, it may be worth the extra money to have him do it for peace of mind. Just my two cents.

Anyway, that’s all folks. Waves to Summer Breeze, Pat, and Margot! Have a great day everyone!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 08:37 AM  
Margot

Hello everyone

Yesterday evening:
- Charlene Prickett It Figures Series 16 (20m). I can't believe I used to do these high energy workouts. 20 minutes was enough and I had to modify a bit. It was fun though. I enjoyed the banter between the three of them.
- ETV Lauren Live Class
- Yoga Ranger (YT) Core on the Floor in prone position. I usually do Aprille's yin classes. This was more challenging but good.
- Day 12 Meditation Dream Love Dream Healing - Whale ride into sleep

This morning:
- Somatic Sculpting Upper Body (on my own)
- Jessica's Full length Fusion Sculpt. I normally avoid long workouts but this was really good and it's also divided into standing, floor and core sections, so I can just choose one next time. I thought the floor work, in particular, had some different movements than she normally does.

Beth - Your poor fur baby. It sounds as though you've already explored all other options. I think we'd all want to do what's in our animals best interest at the end of the day. Sending you hugs. It's not easy when we love our pets so much.

That's great to hear you're getting some definition and looser pants from your new exercise regime.

Pam - Thanks for the link on heel drops. I'm always looking for things to strengthen my bones.

Summer Breeze - My heart goes out to your DD. There's such a thin veil between the waking mind and dreaming mind. I've done quite a bit of work in this area over the past two years. I hope she is doing better now.

Sorry, lunch is ready and must run before it's ruined. And... DH is waiting patiently in the kitchen. lol

Waves to Diane, Pat and Donna.
Old 03-27-24, 10:19 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday:

46 minute outdoor walk

Today is kind of gray and damp and we have some rain coming in so probably no walk. My friend is also coming to town from upstate so I may not get much done in the exercise dept unless I fit in a quick MR between some errands.

MARGOT, aww what a sweet hubby waiting patiently for you to join him for lunch. I used to love those Charlene Prickett workouts. The dreaming mind work sounds fascinating. DD is doing well thank you.
It was much tougher for her when DH first died very suddenly 3 years ago. And she was going to graduate school at the time but she plowed through.

PAM, thank you for the video link. I did find a few videos yesterday and did 60 heel drops. I felt them all the way up my body too.
I'm going to try to incorporate them into the routine.

DONNA, about 5 years ago we had Home Depot send a contractor to do some basic kitchen updating, cabinets and counters. It was fine but it wasn't a big customizable type of job. I can see where you would be leery trusting a big chain to do such exacting work like that. Good luck.

PAT, did you "join" me yesterday for a walk?

BETH, hugs to you and your doggie. I'm sure you'll find a good solution for all. DH died a little over 3 years ago. DD was 29 at the time but it was a very sudden shocking death and they had been very close. She's doing well. ETA -- congrats on the results so far with Joyce! I think I remember seeing some quick results when I did her workouts several years ago. Hmmm

DIANE, good luck at your eye exam. My dad had glaucoma but he was able to keep it under control with eye drops thankfully. It is definitely a concern for me too.

Have a great day everyone!

summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 11:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning Lovely Ladies! ☀️ I managed a save yesterday, it almost didn’t happen:

~ 12 minutes silent meditation (day 12)
~ Kathy Smith Matrix Power Walk
~ Kassandra 15 Minute Bedtime Yin Yoga
~ 7,134 steps

I haven’t done Kathy’s matrix walk in a long time and forgot it incorporated hand weights. My back really needed a flat-on-the-mat yoga after that, and Kassandra delivered.

Beth, I did not realize there are mental health meds for canines but it makes perfect sense. Best wishes helping her find balance. Yay on your results! Joyce is delivering for you.

Diane, are you going through Kassandra’s Flexible Body challenge again? I mean to revisit that one.

Pam, thank you for the heel drops info and link - that’s something I can work in while waiting for the tea water, etc. Wonderful massage recovery day there.

Donna, I’d be leery of contracting with a chain company, too. Even if your regular guy costs more, at least you’ll have peace of mind.

Summer Breeze, good luck with your eye exam. Enjoy your visit!

Margot, that Core on the Floor routine looks good - only I don’t have a belly cat for a counterweight, ha ha. 😉 Aprille’s B&W cat is the cuddliest.

Everyone make it a great day!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 05:37 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Pam, great explanation about heel drops. Thanks for the video link! Those look pretty easy to pull in.

Donna, it looks like you’ve already made a sound decision on who to choose; what are you thinking about doing to your kitchen? I still think you’ll get your money back on a kitchen remodel, no matter how much or how little you decide to go with.

Diane, that’s a good reminder about annual eye exams. I hope you will have a good visit with them. Thinking about that, I’m behind on mine. I keep putting it off because I don’t like anyone touching my eye area.

Margot, I used to enjoy watching Charlene Prickett. I may have attempted one or two workouts from her. I didn’t realize Jessica had a fusion workout; I shouldn’t look for it!

Pat, nice job on your steps!

Summer breeze, enjoy your visit! Maybe the two of you can go shopping; that would be a great way to get your walk in!

Beth