Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-14, 07:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I know you said don't want to hear from people who don't have experience with both (I've never done TBM live classes), but I will say that I think Barre3 live classes are so much more challenging than the DVDs or streaming, so you'll probably like them more than you think you will. I'd probably go with TBM, though, since you already know you love it. I wouldn't want to miss out on the deal either!
Yes, I generally find live classes more challenging than DVDs. I would probably like barre3. I've never found a barre I didn't like! I just love the attentive instruction at TBM, and wondered if people found the same at barre3.

I'm in such a twist about this!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 07:44 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I can't help but be envious of your dilemma! No barre classes available in (or even close to) my city.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 07:52 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm not experienced in barre at all. I would think how much instruction and correction you get would depend more on the particular instructor and less on the method, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I'd wait to try the new place. Once it opens, the other place might offer an even better deal because of the competition. Who knows.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 08:14 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, Carol, I'm spoiled for choice!

Joni, to some degree it depends on the instructor, but I've definitely noticed certain barre brands prize attentive instruction.
Old 10-05-14, 08:53 AM  
raeven

I've never attended any live classes of anything fitness..but thought I'd just throw my thoughts into the pile!

I'm personally all for convenience, honestly. Maybe you could wait, and sign up with Barre3 when it opens...get in on the discount. Give it some time and see how it is. You can always still continue to take some classes at TBM in the meantime to maintain your relationship there if you aren't loving barre3. Won't most of these places probably give good discounts coming up around the holidays, or new years? Hopefully by then you'll have a good idea on which place you prefer. If it's Barre3, then great...you already got the deal! If it's TBM, then maybe, hopefully you can get a deal there at the end of the year. Or maybe if they know you signed up at Barre3 and want you to come back, they'll offer you a good deal. Tough position to be in. I'm the worst person on making decisions! Good luck in your choice! I'm sure you're bound to be happy with either!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 11:04 AM  
Marisa

The Barre3 near me opened about 6 months ago with the founders special of $99/month (good for one year). They sold these before they even opened and then once they did, the price increased to $175/month (with auto pay). They also sell a one month unlimited class package (no auto pay) for $225.

The founders price was great but I found very few class times that worked with my schedule. There was no way I could make it to class on time after dropping off my daughter at school. They really opened with only a few instructors and the classes were all kind of geared for beginners as they assumed that most of their new clients were also new to barre. They started adding more class times in August but for me, they still aren't as convenient as the Dailey Method.

If this were my decision, I would stick with the classes you know and love, especially if you have the opportunity to take a future class with Burr!
Marisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 11:53 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Marisa brings up a great point that I had not thought about. Most studios open with the bare minimum in terms of staff and class offerings. My barre3 studio opened sometime in 2013 and they have a pretty decent schedule and enough instructors. However, I remember looking at their class schedule during their grand open and it was pretty sparse.

With Bar Method, you have an established studio with experienced instructors already in place. In my area, it is much harder for me to pick up a BM class at the last minute versus a barre3 class, which I've never had to be wait listed for.

I would hate for you to miss out on a great deal at Bar Method only to regret it if you find that, although closer, barre3 doesn't have the dedicated staff and schedule that your established BM studio does. BM is bound to be able to offer more classes due to the fact that they have a current demand for their services and most likely a better cash flow from ongoing operations. Start ups often experience growing pains in the beginning and won't be able to offer as much as an established studio.

Something to think about when making your decision.
Old 10-05-14, 12:15 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Actually, the barre3 schedule is quite full for a start up. They seem to have five or so instructors.

Initially, my local Bar Method's schedule was extremely anemic, which is why I had to wait until Sept. to use my monthly unlimited, by which time they had already tapped their instructor trainees. I was actually a little surprised they offered so few classes in the beginning. I kind of felt like the two owners should have bit the bullet and taught a few more classes initially, even if attendance had been spotty. I would think a fitness studio needs to have more of an 'if we build it, they will come' sort of mentality--wouldn't you think?

Anyway, the barre3 founders deal is a steal, but you have to commit for a whole year. TBM had offered LOADS of free community classes for months before they opened their doors. Barre3 has offered only a couple at places like Athleta or lululemon. None of them were super convenient, but if I had known I'd be hemming and hawing like this, I would have made one work just to try it out!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I feel like I'm on that old game show--what's behind door number 2??!
Old 10-05-14, 04:07 PM  
PrairieGem

Can you look at this from another perspective? Step back a minute from "what this studio offers vs this other studio..." and think about how YOU typically make decisions, and how you feel afterward. Do you hem and haw beforehand, only to commit wholeheartedly and never look back? Or are you the sort of person who--no matter what you choose--always wonders if you should have made a different choice? I know when I'm seriously on the fence about something, it's typically less about the Something, and more about me. If I take a hard look at myself and my methods/decision-making style/etc, I can usually sort through the angst and figure out what's keeping me from deciding, and what I really want.

(And if all else fails, flip a coin. If it comes up Barre3, and you're crushed... you know you should go with TBM. And vice versa. I find I made a lot of decisions this way--asking for opinions and discovering which ones I disagree with! )

Good luck!
Old 10-05-14, 06:54 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

PrairieGem, good suggestions. I'm usually very decisive, which is probably why I'm kind of freaked out about being so indecisive! I just wish I had more information/the chance to take a barre3 class before I have to make a decision... but I don't/can't. It's just the way it is.

I think I'm going to go with TBM. Even though the barre3 founders deal is super cheap, I don't want to commit to a whole year of barre3.