Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-14, 05:55 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm having barre commitment phobia. Please help.

This may turn into a novel... apologies in advance.

As you all know, I'm a barre junkie. I started out with videos, became a total addict, and took my first class almost two years ago. Physique 57 in NYC. The class was amazing and I've taken about 15 classes at various P57 studios since.

I've also taken classes locally (Boston area) at Core Fusion, Pure Barre and at The Dailey Method when I've been on the west coast. I've also taken classes at a couple of local, independent studios in my area.

My kids are now both in school, and I'm sick of hopping around. I want to find a home barre, but have been dissatisfied with the indies and Pure Barre. I really wanted to get the excellent instruction I get at Physique 57, such great instructor engagement and form corrections, and extra challenges as I am often more advanced than my classmates.

I am just finishing up a month unlimited at the Bar Method that just opened not too far from me. I love it! I love the instructors, they are so engaging and really challenge me, which I love love love. They've offered me a pretty decent deal to sign a contract with auto-renewal. I am so ready to commit, but....

There is a barre3 opening even nearer to me. It's closer and cheaper. I'm 99% sure I will go with Bar Method. The instruction is just so excellent. The instructors are so attentive. They don't let me away with anything, unlike Pure Barre where I would seldom get form corrections and almost never an extra challenge.

So here's my question--for those of you familiar with BOTH TBM and barre3, would you say barre3 instruction is as good as TBM? Barre3 is offering free classes the week they open, so I've signed up and will get to try it out, but I don't want to pass up the good deal I'm being offered from TBM.

I can tell you that great instruction is my absolute #1 priority in a barre class. As I said in my blog review of TBM, I would work out in a barn. I'm just worried I might kick myself since barre3 is more convenient and cheaper...

Does this make sense? Am I being a weenie? Should I just get over my indecision and sign on with TBM? I think maybe I should... I don't know... please help...

ETA: Please don't write to me about how much you love barre3, unless you have experience with TBM. I'm really looking for comparison between the two. If you hate barre3, please feel free to share why. barre3 haters will make my decision easier.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 06:42 PM  
cherimac

Tough choice. I can't help because I've only done the two via DVD and online classes. I have a distinct preference but not based on live classes. Do you have to decide before barre3 opens? Good luck!
Old 10-04-14, 06:43 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Well, I'm not really familiar with live classes of either, but how long is the TBM contract? Also, how long until the Barre3 studio starts classes?

The reason I ask is that no matter what someone else's experience is at a different Barre3 studio, each studio is going to be different. And I would say that if the contract is 1 year with TBM, go ahead and sign up, especially since you are so happy there. Then let the Barre3 studio get started, and in a few months just try out a few classes here and there over a few months to see how it goes. Then when renewal comes up you will know.

Disclaimer: I used to take Callanetics at a Barre3 studio, and peeking in at the Barre3 classes, it looked like they kind of moved fast. I never took a class though, and I was more interested I a slow-paced class, so this feedback might not be useful to you.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 07:02 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I have experience with live classes at both studios. A few months ago, I thought I would positively be signing up for a Bar Method monthly membership. I was only making the barre rounds in order to give all local methods a shot to earn my monthly membership fee before I made a decision. Barre studio classes are so expensive and I didn't want to base my decision only on the fact that I had been to Bar Method classes and enjoyed them.

I originally thought that I would choose Bar Method because I enjoyed the method, the studio is nice and airy, and instruction is very hands-on. They remember your name and will call you out in the first class. They offer hands-on form corrections. I feel like they offer a personalized experience for everyone.

However, once I tried barre3 the decision was much harder. (And still is, as I have only purchased class packages at each studio...I haven't made the monthly membership commitment yet because there are pros and cons I am still weighing as well as needing to try Core Fusion classes before I make a final decision).

barre3 instruction is just as personalized as Bar Method (at least at my local studio). Except instead of calling you out over the mic like they do at Bar Method, the instructor will mute her mic for a few seconds and come over to correct your form or offer suggestions for modifications. I greatly appreciate this, as I cringe when BM instructors call me out over the mic.

barre3 also offers child care, if that is something that interests you. They also offer several "community classes" which I appreciate...free classes open to the public (usually when a new instructor is going through the certification process). My local studio is offering a "Mom's Night Out" in October with child care available in the evening (right now, it's only available for day classes). The free classes won't be as important to you if you are signing up for an unlimited monthly membership, but I still think it's a nice gesture on the studio's part to offer these classes and allow individuals to 'try before you buy.'

Since you specifically asked about instruction, I will tell you that I much prefer instruction style at barre3 over Bar Method. I feel like both methods offer superb training as well as personalized form corrections. Both are very careful with form. But I prefer barre3 over Bar Method overall. Of course, this is a matter of personal preference and might not be the same for you.

I understand your desire to get the best possible deal and not miss an opportunity with Bar Method. However, if your BM is anything like mine...the discounted monthly membership is only good for the first month and then it is regular price for subsequent months. My local studio offered $99 for the first month of unlimited classes, and then $150 per month after that.

Bottom line is this...if you already know that you love Bar Method classes and you don't want to pass up the deal they are offering you, then go ahead and commit! Just know what your options are to end the commitment (i.e. 30 day notice, 60 day notice, 3-month minimum commitment??). That way, you are guaranteed to get a good deal on classes you already know you love. If you try barre3 and decide to switch barre homes, you can do so as long as you make plans to honor your first commitment to Bar Method (which, remember, you already love...so even if you are 'stuck' taking classes at Bar Method for a while, at least you are having a good time doing it). You can always 'cheat' on BM with barre3 by attending the free classes or popping in for a class here and there.
Old 10-04-14, 07:04 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, I have to commit to TBM this week. Barre3 opens on the 20th, so I have to decide before I can try barre3. I mean, I have to commit to TBM this week to lock in the lower monthly rate they're offering me. I could sign up for TBM anytime, but doing so this week will save me $20 a month.

Barre3 is offering a dirt cheap monthly rate--so cheap! To be a 'founding member.' I'd have to sign up for that by Oct. 27th. Barre3 offers childcare, which would have been a total deal-breaker last year when I still had a toddler! But now he's a preschooler, so I don't usually need childcare.

I can say I've tried barre3 videos and was very 'meh' about them, but I know live classes can be very different.

I guess what I'm really asking is if barre3 instructors are known for being very attentive, challenging to advanced students and offer great form corrections. The Bar Method instructors certainly are, and I know TBM training is very rigorous. I've found Pure Barre instructors to be quite hit-or-miss. Some are good, some are really not. Many just roam around the room and don't really address form in the more advanced students. At TBM, they're on me like white on rice the minute my form slips. And I love that! I really feel like they've got my back, and I feel like I've made some real strength gains in the past month.

Also, I'm kind of hoping TBM will offer to train me as an instructor. We talked about it before they opened, but their class offerings were really sparse and I had the kids at home in the summer, so I couldn't start my pre-opening special until last month when they started school. Over the summer, they tapped the people they're going to train right now, but they said they'd keep me in mind as need for new instructors arises.

So I suppose I am kind of answering my own question! I guess I'm just looking for reassurance...
Old 10-04-14, 07:13 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Jennifer, thanks for your thoughts. No, the discounted rate at TBM is good forever and ever. I can cancel with 30 days notice, but once I cancel, I can't recommit at the lower rate.

The main thing that's giving me pause is location. Barre3 is closer. During the week, going to TBM takes about a 2-hour bite out of my day, by the time I deal with traffic, park, take class, etc. On Saturday mornings, it's more like an hour and 45 mins.

<sigh> this is such a first-world problem.
Old 10-04-14, 07:20 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Funny that you mention the commute time. The only reason that I haven't signed up for the monthly membership option at barre3 is because it is further from my house, in the opposite direction of work, and costs me tolls to get there.

Bar Method is less than 1 mile from work, so it is much more convenient for me. However, I haven't been able to make myself sign up because I barre3 so much.

Actually, I'm also waiting until Christmas / New Years...my Bar Method studio usually offers a deal around New Years that if you prepay for a year, it costs $1,500. So I'm giving myself that much time to think about it. (Core Fusion offers a discounted annual rate year-round if you pre-pay as well but it is offered all the time.)
Old 10-04-14, 07:25 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Ha! Funny we have opposite problems!

I so wish barre3 were offering a community class tomorrow, since I can't get to TBM tomorrow. Then I could at least make a more informed decision. I also wonder what the non-founding monthly rate will be at barre3. There is no mention of it on their website. They offer class packages (cheaper than any other local studios) and the founding membership, but there's no info on what the unlimited monthly will cost after they open.
Old 10-04-14, 07:32 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

The other thing is that Burr Leonard is coming to our studio in January. She'll be teaching some classes. Oh my, I'll move heaven and earth to take a class with Burr!

This is the problem with being so cheap. I am trying to maximize everything to optimal financial advantage.

I need to stop obsessing. I'm going to bed.
Old 10-04-14, 08:29 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I know you said don't want to hear from people who don't have experience with both (I've never done TBM live classes), but I will say that I think Barre3 live classes are so much more challenging than the DVDs or streaming, so you'll probably like them more than you think you will. I'd probably go with TBM, though, since you already know you love it. I wouldn't want to miss out on the deal either!