Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-14, 02:06 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I don't remember if I mentioned this on the summer reading thread but I read "The Girl you Left Behind" by JoJo Moyes. It was OK but not nearly as good as "Me Before You."
I am still working on Half of a Yellow Sun which I am enjoying. I was considering suggesting it for my book group but I am not sure it is a great discussion book.
I am recommending to read:
1) Tomlinson Hill by Chris Tomlinson (I heard about this one on NPR-true story about two families one white, one black that have roots to a slave plantation)
2) How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid

I am still trying to decide on the third book I want to suggest. Each of the members in our group picks three books that everyone votes on. I am thinking about:
1) Life after Life-Kate Atkinson
2) The Orchardist-Amanda Coplin
3) Mrs. Poe -Lynn Cullen
I've only read Life After Life, and although it sounds like it would be an excellent discussion book, I'm not totally sure it would. Depends whether your group prefers larger theme discussions or whether you like to discuss technique and details. This would definitely need the second type of discussion and unless you are all lit majors, I have a hard time imagining a good discussion. Well, I'm sure you could have some good discussions, just not the ones most people would think this book would lend itself to.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 03:09 PM  
Darisa

I just finished The Sleepwalker's Guide To Dancing by Mira Jacob. I ate it up. Loved it.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 06:52 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm forcing my way through The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, and honestly? It's put me in a bad mood!
I read that a long time ago and liked it, but remember it as being a big downer. The sequel, To Say Nothing of the Dog is nothing at all like The Doomsday Book--a lighthearted comic romp

Speaking of dark books, I read In the Woods by Tana French over the holiday and could not put it down, though I wasn't thrilled with the ending leaving so much unresolved. Going to see if the local used bookshop has The Likeness because I'm too impatient to wait for a library copy to come back in.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 07:10 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa View Post
I just finished The Sleepwalker's Guide To Dancing by Mira Jacob. I ate it up. Loved it.
I finished this one last week and loved it too. Amina and her family were so real to me.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 07:12 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

duplicate post
Old 09-03-14, 07:18 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Oops, another duplicate post
Old 09-03-14, 07:24 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I read that a long time ago and liked it, but remember it as being a big downer. The sequel, To Say Nothing of the Dog is nothing at all like The Doomsday Book--a lighthearted comic romp

Speaking of dark books, I read In the Woods by Tana French over the holiday and could not put it down, though I wasn't thrilled with the ending leaving so much unresolved. Going to see if the local used bookshop has The Likeness because I'm too impatient to wait for a library copy to come back in.
I've got her latest, The Secret Place, waiting at the library. I hope I like it better than her last one, Broken Harbor. In the Woods and the third book, Faithful Place, are my favorites out of that series. So far at least.

ETA: I keep hoping French will go back to those unresolved pieces of In the Woods. She does follow Cassie in The Likeness at least.
Old 09-03-14, 08:54 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post

Oh, good to know. I've got it on hold at the library, so will keep an open mind.

I only just started the new Robin Hobb, and am already a bit confused with all the names and the complicated family tree. Sigh. Should have re-read some of the series to refresh my memory, I guess.

Editing to add: I just finished the new Robin Hobb (Fool's Assassin) and really liked it a lot. In fact, since there aren't any holds on it, I'm thinking of immediately re-reading it. My memory of the backstory was kinda vague as I got started, and I think I'd pick up more the second time through.

Now I'm impatient for the next volume in the series!
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 11:37 PM  
kmissa

Me Before You Movie

Looks like they just casted the leads for the movie. I'm excited to see Sam Caflin as Will. I'm not familiar with the girl(Daenerys Targaryen) from Game of Thrones though.

Last edited by kmissa; 09-04-14 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Add name
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 09:16 AM  
Sissy B

Last night I finished City Girl, Country Vet by Cathy Woodman. It's described as "A warm, breezy romantic comedy with just enough mishap and plenty of adorable four-legged creatures" on the back cover. I don't know how accurate that description really is. To me, it was just okay and more depressing than comedic. And as a warning, not all of the "adorable four-legged creatures" got a happy ending. After losing 2 of my dogs in the past 2 years, there were parts that were really hard for me to read.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall 2014, reading