Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-14, 11:26 AM  
Yelly

I'm sorry - I have to say it - your title to this thread is hilarious. (As in drag queen hilarious - lol!)
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 11:34 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

It's probably an anatomy question. I recently finished 2 months of physical therapy for back problems. I did more tucks than you can imagine. Good or bad? I can't answer that. I do know that if we avoid doing something long enough the body will no longer be able to do it without a lot of hard work. I would guess that all of us are tucking our pelvis everyday without realizing it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 11:54 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I'm sorry - I have to say it - your title to this thread is hilarious. (As in drag queen hilarious - lol!)
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 01:03 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
This is exactly what I thought when I read the title. I thought we were going to get pictures of a person of the male persuasion, in Spandex, soliciting advice on whether a "tuck" was needed for, shall we say, streamlining purposes?
Old 10-22-14, 02:03 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
It's probably an anatomy question. I recently finished 2 months of physical therapy for back problems. I did more tucks than you can imagine. Good or bad? I can't answer that. I do know that if we avoid doing something long enough the body will no longer be able to do it without a lot of hard work. I would guess that all of us are tucking our pelvis everyday without realizing it.
I practice pilates and steal moves from many classical-derivate teachers that I found online.

I always do, "neutral spine: slight tuck at most" in my self-instructions.

When you've move beyond rank beginner level, tucking will not serve those of internally rotated hips viz-a-viz core strength being developed.

Similarly, even for dance (done upright). Just it doesn't pay to give yourself swayback either. Too many practices, (sometimes too many athletic competitions won in their former athletic careers) were developed by the naturally lordotic of spine (=butt sticking out naturally, making it look larger than it really is ...) ... just my opinion, for what it's worth ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 02:04 PM  
marya

Quote:
Yelly, I wish I could say the pun was intentional, but despite living where I live, I'd never heard of the practice. VF has been quite an education!

Bubbles and Demeris, I envy you. I have no butt anymore, none at all. Buttless in Seattle. That must be why I can flatten against the floor or wall so easily.

BeyondOmega, what you wrote about T-Tapp tucking makes sense to me. In T-Tapp the whole body is at an angle, and the pelvis just seems in alignment with all the rest. Actually, I prefer it when Teresa cues us to "tuck from the lumbar" rather than "tuck butt" or "curl the core" or "like a dog with its tail between its legs". The sensation when focusing on the lumbar is different, at least for me--more of a suction, with lumbar and navel drawing together and everything in between lining up naturally, without strain.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 02:26 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I've read a bit about tucking, and is really think this is a personal biomechanics issue. I can see where holding an exaggerated tuck for an extended period could be detrimental, but honestly, most workouts I have tried don't do that. There is more of a brief tuck and release movement. The exception is Pure Barre. They definitely have you hold a tuck. But still, for me, I haven't found it problematic.

I really think the command 'tuck' is more to prevent you from arching your back and releasing the contraction in your abs in certain poses, which is very much the path of least resistance in many positions.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 02:50 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
I practice pilates and steal moves from many classical-derivate teachers that I found online.

I always do, "neutral spine: slight tuck at most" in my self-instructions.

When you've move beyond rank beginner level, tucking will not serve those of internally rotated hips viz-a-viz core strength being developed.

Similarly, even for dance (done upright). Just it doesn't pay to give yourself swayback either. Too many practices, (sometimes too many athletic competitions won in their former athletic careers) were developed by the naturally lordotic of spine (=butt sticking out naturally, making it look larger than it really is ...) ... just my opinion, for what it's worth ...
I'm not sure why you quoted me. I did tucks in physical therapy for my back problem. I have no idea if it's good or bad for anyone else. I just know it's what I needed at the time for my back and my back only.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 04:45 PM  
cherimac

I think if you are taking a tuck heavy type of class daily for extended time (like a Purre Barre or TBM 100 days Challenge) a lot of people would find it problematic. Suzanne Bowen had a long post on her FB group about why she quit doing the tuck, for the most part. It's partly because she believes neutral spine is safer but partly because she says tucking in tigh work over-recruits the glutes and not tucking (say in wide second) keeps the work more in the inner thighs.
Old 10-23-14, 01:37 AM  
cristinalatina

Tucking was fine (and even relieving) for myself, until I became pregnant. I had gained 35 lbs and was all bump.The massive weight of my very big bump shifted things out of alignment pelvic-wise!