sherry7899

I meant to post that-thank you!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 07:11 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

We should know immediately that "Perfection Detox" is not a diet book. (I was imagining one of those programs that emphasize restriction and "purity.")

A general search yields this article from the NASM magazine. In searching, I was wondering most specifically about what she has to say about physical fitness and its connection to other things.

Petra Kolber’s Cure for Toxic Perfectionism

Quote:
She put her fears aside and spent the next 8 months building a program combining her knowledge of teaching group exercise and her study of positive psychology.

"The main premise was, 'I'm not here to change your workout; I'm here to change why you work out," she explains. "I think our industry needs to take weight loss and jean size off the table as a goal forever. It can be a stepping stone, but that's where we went wrong. We made how we look the definition of success, instead of how we live as the definition of success."

Her new program aims to change all of that.
I wonder if the book has more detail about what she proposes as a replacement for "weight loss and jean size"; at the very least, I heartily agree with this much of what she's saying.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 10:21 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

She has a podcast, but after a few episodes, so much of it is about leveraging fitness into the new economy, I lost interest. Nothing wrong with that, but not my area of interest.

She actually wants to replace those things with health and well being and just getting out there and doing it. And hurray for her, she is sincere.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 07:14 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
She actually wants to replace those things with health and well being and just getting out there and doing it. And hurray for her, she is sincere.
More searching led to this piece of hers on IDEA's Fit Tips:

How to Help Clients Stay Motivated (and Happy) in the Long Run

I noticed this part especially.

Quote:
When clients focus on a reward that enhances their quality of life and develop abilities at which they feel successful, instead of being motivated by areas of weakness or experiencing exercise as a punishment, they increase their chances of reaching their goals—and are more likely to enjoy the process along the way.

Kelly McGonigal, PhD, author of The Willpower Instinct: How Self Control Works, Why It Matters and What You Can Do to Get More of It (Avery 2012), calls it “wantpower”—meaning an inspiring motivation that doesn’t stem from a negative self-image or the desire to escape a number on the scale. “By focusing on weight loss, exercise gets paired with feelings of self-doubt, self-criticism, body hate or judgment. People often mistake feeling bad with the kind of positive motivation that fuels action,” says McGonigal.

[snip]

According to McGonigal, research shows that a person’s motivation can make a big difference in sustaining exercise. “Motivation that feels personally meaningful makes it much more likely that a person will stick with it than motivation based on the desire for approval from other people, or a self-critical attitude,” she says.
Cf. this piece (by a psychology professor), which I quoted on VF earlier this year:

Enough Talk of Bikini Bodies

Quote:
Researchers have found that women who exercise to increase their health rather than to change the way they look actually enjoy exercise more, and stick with it longer. One study from the University of Michigan found that women who exercise with weight loss as their goal engage in less physical activity than those who exercise for a sense of well-being or stress reduction. A different study found that fitness instructors who emphasize health outcomes instead of appearance and weight loss leave their students feeling better post-exercise.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 08:57 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

I ordered. It might just help me follow through on things as I tend to have perfectionist tendencies.

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 05:48 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I read the book description, and it sounds very good. I recently heard some women in leadership roles talk about a similar subject,I.e., how women often self-sabotage due to perfectionist tendencies.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 07:23 AM  
SuzieC

Hi all,
Petra did a Facebook live video yesterday to describe some bonuses you can receive if you order the book before August 3.one of the bonuses is a free workout video of your choice. Check out her Facebook live video for details.
Basically you need to preorder from one of the links on her perfectiondetox.com page and fill out a form.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 07:41 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
Hi all,
Petra did a Facebook live video yesterday to describe some bonuses you can receive if you order the book before August 3.one of the bonuses is a free workout video of your choice. Check out her Facebook live video for details.
Basically you need to preorder from one of the links on her perfectiondetox.com page and fill out a form.

I think it is a free download, correct?

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 07:50 AM  
SuzieC

Yes I believe it’s a download
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
petra kolber