Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-24, 10:44 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Cathe is a cat person ;)

Cathe plans to explain what she means by functional training.

https://cathe.com/lmar_functional_training/

Since announcing my new series, Lift, Move & Restore, one of the most common questions I’ve received is “What exactly is functional training?” Functional training (also referred to as functional fitness) is a type of training that prepares your body for daily activities.

These multi-joint exercises equip you for the most important type of physical fitness, the type that preps you for the movements you’ll perform in real-life, daily tasks. This includes bending, twisting, lifting, loading, pushing, pulling and squatting.

The goal as we age is to be healthy, strong, and independent for as long as possible. This means that we need to train in a way that will make everyday living comfortable and manageable. Whether it’s lifting a laundry basket, pushing a heavy shopping cart, bending over to tie your shoes, or simply sitting down on the sofa to watch TV, our bodies have to make all of those movements happen. If we train our bodies to move in ways in which we have to move in everyday situations, we will be much more equipped to handle these daily tasks.

Lift, Move & Restore, will focus on the training and recovery that our bodies require to stay strong and mobile. The series will include weight training workouts that feature functional training, as well as other types of movement and restoration to keep your body fit for life. And yes, there will be options shown for exercises like squats, lunges, and other movements that some individuals struggle with.

In the upcoming weeks, I will share different examples of functional fitness and the many different benefits of the Lift, Move & Restore series. Some will be strength-based, others may be based on flexibility or mobility, but all of them will help you to understand how the Lift, Move & Restore series may benefit you!

In today’s example, we’re taking a look at a daily task, stepping up to place a glass bowl on a high shelf. In this scenario, I need strength output from my legs, and my shoulders, and I also need the core strength and balance to safely step onto and off of the step stool while holding an object in my hands. Now let’s look at a lunge press which requires me to bend, lift, press, and balance.

All of these elements are building the strength I need to do my daily tasks. This, in a nutshell, is functional fitness. Training the muscle in a way that will translate to everyday life. Now, this is just a tiny taste of what functional fitness really is and what it can do for you, but that is what we will explore in the upcoming weeks.
Old 02-16-24, 11:28 AM  
Daffie

💗
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 12:06 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I love it!!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 12:18 PM  
jusca

lol, not 1 but 2. she's hooked lol it must be nice to have a cat trainer watch and spot you lol.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 01:25 PM  
bubbles76

I saw that! Also, she's so tiny! I like those particular moves that she's doing.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 02:22 PM  
ChelePA

https://fb.watch/qfrR3-qJ9b/?mibextid=w8EBqM
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 02:38 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I find I can’t do anything without feline supervision—apparently Cathe has discovered the same thing as she doesn’t appear to be fazed by the audience! So cute!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 02:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Her cat looks like mine. She (my cat) shows no interest when I exercise at all.
Old 02-16-24, 03:51 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Her cat looks like mine. She (my cat) shows no interest when I exercise at all.
Just the opposite here with my two dogs. I need to exercise while they’re sleeping or crate them. Otherwise I’m tripping over them
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 05:35 PM  
rhbrand

Just one more reason for me to love Cathe.
I'm a Crazy Cat lady myself.

Tags
animals in background, cathe, cathe lmr, lift move restore