Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-17, 08:08 AM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

To Runners: Favorite Cathe Lower Body Strength workouts

For those of you who run, what are your favorite Cathe Lower Body Strength training workouts?

This is really for my daughter, who is a distance runner. She does yoga but not much strength. Ran in h.s and college. Her college program did not include strength training.

After college, she has incorporated yoga but not much strength work with weights.

Ran a full marathon yesterday and hit the wall at mile 20. I've been suggesting , to her, that she incorporate weight work.

I have many Cathe workouts including all three of the Advance Fit Tower workouts. My daughter has done Cathe's Fit Tower Legs, Glutes, Core (once) and liked it.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

TY,
Lollie
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 05:38 AM  
Runninggirl

Ripped with Hiit is my absolute favorite and I raced well at every distance from 5k to half marathon when I did a rotation - I love both of the leg workouts. My other favorites are Great Glutes, Lean Legs and Abs and two older workouts - Legs and Glutes from Body Blast and Leaner Legs from CTX. Also, her total body metabolic workouts really strengthen my core without doing separate ab exercises which for me is key in longer races.
Runninggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 09:36 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

When I ran long distance races, I tended to do "heavy" weightlifting workouts once or twice a week. One of my favorites was the second phase of STS. If I did "endurance" type workouts like the first phase of STS, that seemed to tire me out more and my running suffered. She may have to try a few different types to find out what works for her.

Good luck to your daughter!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 09:43 AM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Hi Running Girl - I do not have Ripped w/ HIIT, Great Glutes, Lean Legs & Abs. I do have Cross Fire, Flex Train and X Train Super Cuts. I also have the two older leg workouts you mentioned plus Butts & Guts which looked good.
Old 11-13-17, 09:50 AM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Hi Kathy G - I do have the entire STS series. I agree with you, that she will have to try different workouts to see what best fits her. She has done Cathe's Barre and the Advanced Fit Tower Legs, Glutes, Core and liked it. She loves yoga so it doesn't surprise me that she likes the Barre workouts.

Her hips are weak and has had issues there. She's ready to try something new.
Old 11-14-17, 08:13 AM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Lean Legs and Abs is one of Cathe's Daily Deals today. Think I'm going to purchase it.
Old 11-14-17, 08:43 AM  
Tugger31

My nieces are both runners and have done the Boston Marathon. They say strengthening their glutes and accessory muscles helped so I would say something with more of a glute focus that includes some floor work such as Great Glutes or Legs & Glutes or Butts & Guts. Also they suggested a lower body HiiT workout once a week to help with leg power such as RWH HiiT Circuit Lower Body or XTrain Cardio Leg Blast.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 12:11 PM  
Hazel Porter

Lollie, can I make a non-Cathe suggestion (take it or leave it, right?). I've been using an app called Aaptiv for coached running workouts (among others -- they have workouts for all modalities), and it offers runner-specific strength routines as well. These have been great for my running -- they work very specifically on the muscles and movement patterns runners require.

I have a code for a free trial if she might be interested, or I can gift workouts if she doesn't mind sharing an email address. You can PM me if you think that's something that might be of interest to her.
Old 11-14-17, 05:19 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hazel, does Aaptiv include videos? Training plans? I'm going to start training for a half marathon next month and looking at options.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 12:10 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Hazel, does Aaptiv include videos? Training plans? I'm going to start training for a half marathon next month and looking at options.
Pratima,

No videos, but there are 5K, 10K, half and full marathon training programs. They just completed a "5K Your Way" challenge this weekend that has beginner, intermediate, and advanced programs that mix outdoor running, treadmill running, and strength workouts, each with it's own calendar detailing which workouts to do on which days. An earlier 5K program just has 30 days of outdoor running workouts but no written plan.

I believe the half marathon program also has a written plan. Regardless, the Facebook community of Aaptiv users is great and I've seen plenty of recommendations for people who have asked about how to use the programs.

As I said earlier, I have a code for a free trial and/or I can gift you a couple workouts if you'd like to give it a try. You can email me a hporter11[at]comcast[dot]net if interested!

Tags
runners