Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-17, 08:10 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have lived here for over 30 years. As people have said, from Old Town Alexandria, taking the Metro in to the Mall is the best way to go.

Someone has already mentioned the Circulator bus. It offers a route that is in the area of The Mall (the area around which you'll find many museums and monuments). Click here for info on it.

One of the best places to visit in the DC area is Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. You have to pay to get in, unlike many of the sites, but I've always enjoyed going. You can find info here about getting from Old Town Alexandria down there.

And, here is a listing of museums on and near the Mall. It might help you identify which ones you are most interested in.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong. There are so many options of things to do here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 10:44 AM  
suzannaerin

You might want to check to make sure there are no service interruptions on metro. Also, keep in mind rush hour in the metro is horrific due to crowding.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 11:10 AM  
deineira

[QUOTE=eam531;2720586]I lived in DC for decades myself. I would recommend taking the Circulator bus to Georgetown rather than trekking from a Metro station in summer heat. I used the Circulator when I would go to Georgetown.

Good call on the Circulator. I don't use the metro and wasn't familiar with this resource. And it is beastly here in the summertime!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 03:49 PM  
gladgirl

Thank you for the links and tips and advice! I am sooooo excited.
(In the back of my mind I am already planning a second trip. No way I can see it all this time around.)
I am just hoping my body cooperates and lasts for all the walking.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 02:42 PM  
isebelleg44

Love DC! We took my daughters there last year during their Spring Vacation and had a blast. There is so much to see and almost impossible to cram it all in. We made sure to see all the Smithsonian Museums, the African one wasn't opened yet when we went. Of course we also had to hit the zoo. One day I would like to see the Holocaust museum, but the girls were too young.

Georgetown is also a cool area.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 02:31 PM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Hi! I was born in D.C. and grew up in Alexandria ( 5 miles N of Mt. Vernon off GW Parkway). I would say Metro is the best way to get from Alex. to D.C. Not sure where your hotel is in proximity to Old Town but if not within walking distance you may want to use Uber. There is a great bike/running trail on GW Parkway. That's where I run when I'm home visiting(currently live in Va Beach.) Or depending on which hotel I'm staying in I may run across the Wilson bridge to the National Harbor and back. You may want to check out the National Harbor and MGM. I believe there's a ferry that leaves from Old Town to National Harbor. So much to see and do in D.C. Have fun!
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 03:32 PM  
pattyd0319

Metro, taxi and Uber work very well. I do not recommend driving in DC, not so much the traffic but unless you are familiar with how it is structured and the traffic patterns, it is very easy to take a wrong street with no way to turn around and then you end up in another state. I have been in the Maryland/DC area for about 30 years and still get lost when I drive into DC. If you are staying close to a metro station, then that is an efficient and economical way to go. They have plenty of maps at the station and even on the walls and on the trains themselves. It's pretty easy to figure out how the lines work and where the stops are. You just need to be aware of how late they run if you are going to be out late. You can buy a smart trip card and preload it in advance with money or you can get daily cards that let you ride all day. Be sure to review the info on their website. Lots of stuff to see and beautiful architecture. I hope you enjoy!
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 07:03 PM  
DCW

I recommend a night tour of the monuments. Visiting them at night is another way to experience DC. Plus, you can avoid the heat.

Have fun!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 07:13 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

One of our favorite things to do is drive people around after dark past the monuments. They are a different kind of impressive at night. Have a great time!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:16 AM  
Jewels5

I live near DC and one thing we used to love doing when guests would come is go up to the top of Hotel Washington. There is an outdoor restaurant and the view is beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote