Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-20, 05:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Reference: weight of DVDs for mailing

because the cost of postage changes, below are the weights in ounces of typical scenarios of mailing workout(s). a person can simply input the weight into the USPS's (or other carrier) price calculator to get a better idea of how much it would cost, and choose whatever method (1st class or media mail) to get an up-to-date cost.

individual components:
1) bubble envelope: 8.25" x 11.5", weighs 1.0 ounce
2) 1 DVD in its case weighs 3.1 ounces
3) 2 separate DVDs in their own cases weigh 6.2 ounces
4) 1 case with 2 DVDs that has a hinged "leaf" carrying the second DVD weighs 4.6 ounces

fractional weights of envelope plus DVDs and cases shown below. Note that the USPS rounds fractional ounces up to the next whole ounce.

i used a digital food scale.

bubble envelope + 1 DVD in its case = 4.1 ounces
bubble envelope + 2 DVDs in their own cases = 7.2 ounces
bubble envelope + 1 case that holds 2 DVDs and a hinged "leaf" = 5.6

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 07:48 PM  
jordan

Just in case you don't see the other thread, thank you for this information

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-20, 06:19 AM  
Demeris

Maybe this should be pinned
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-20, 12:33 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Great info Jeannine!

A site I've used for years for current postage info and topics is https://www.nerdylorrin.net/jerry/postages/ (I've learned a lot from this site.)

Also, I print all my postage using my paypal account using this link (you even get free tracking for media mail! It says it's extra for media mail but it always ends up being free): https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...de_optout=true

It's usually cheaper than going to the post office for first class and priority mail. I think it ends up being the same price for media mail, but you do get the added bonus of free tracking. Plus, you can just print the label, tape it on the bubble mailer, and put it in your mailbox for pickup.

I have a couple of small digital scales (for weighing yarn and also dry baking ingredients) so I don't have issues with calculating package weight. Though for media mail, I believe anything up to a pound is the same price, so it doesn't have to be as precise as first class.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
postage, postage cost