Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-20, 04:19 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I know exactly how you feel! I'm slightly less weepy lately but not much. I bought myself a refurbished Chrome for about $100. I'd been moving my laptop around the house, connecting it with HDMI cables to my computer monitor and the TV in the workout room. Now I leave that little Chromebook in there for my workouts and DS's online taekwondo. You should be able to find something simple like that to use too.

And ugh, I get the DH thing too. Mine is here but asleep half the week, and yup, still making messes. He washes dishes (which I hate to do) which is good but it barely makes a dent.

TonyaK, the air here is pretty bad too. Cloudy but also hazy, and NO rain this summer. We do have the red sunrises and sunsets but it makes me sad that it's because of the bad air.

I thought that having my kids doing online class would help and keep them busy. But over the past few weeks it's gotten more and more stressful. They screw around, and while I could lock down their laptops more, that would likely cause problems with them accessing stuff for their classes. I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you! Is the school definitely doing that all semester?

Our school had planned on online through fall break with a possible return mid-October. Then yesterday they decided to go back after Labor Day. I asked DD what she thought about going back, and she said if I wanted her to get good grades, she'd have to go back. And it just broke my heart. She isn't doing well online and she knows it. And of course I worry about them getting sick. I also worry about all of our sanity.

So, it is likely they will be going back.

I didn't work out today. Was doing pretty well this week but was so exhausted yesterday after that, realizing they were both behind again, and that we had a ton to do today (school, annual checkup for both, gymnastics for DD, virtual belt-testing for DS) that I couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning. School is "over" in about an hour and then comes the rest. Good luck to all of us!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 11:49 AM  
TonyaK

Hi all! It's the first day of online school at our house!

This morning I got up and went for a walk around 6:30, which is quite early for me! It was only 49 degrees and I could see my breath! Wow, this cooler weather feels amazing after a record-hot summer. After I got home, I did a short Yoga With Adrienne. I hope to do this every day: go for a walk and then do my workout before school starts at 9:00.

Yesterday we went to the zoo and out to lunch to celebrate the last day of summer vacation. Then DD had a friend come play, who she won't see for a while. That friend started in-person school today. I wonder what our neighborhood will be like two weeks from now, after so many kids have been together at school. We haven't had many cases here yet.

Stephanie, is DH back to working days yet? I hope so! That sounds super annoying to have him around, but not helping. And still making messes!!
This morning I became enraged that DS wouldn't go outside to have his picture taken on the first day of school. He made himself roll off the couch (I was way over by the door) and then said he was hurt - ugh! He can be very uncooperative. DD refused to brush her hair and teeth and I told them they were both being very naughty and couldn't play Roblox after school! Luckily DH appeared so I could storm off in a tantrum. I didn't cry yet! But I did misbehave.
I hope you can get your own computer and password-lock it so no one can change the settings! If you can find a chrome book, they are affordable and simple. With so many kids learning from home, they might be in short supply.

Pratima, I'm sorry online learning is not working so well!! It is amazing that your DD is self-aware enough to know that she would do better at school. It sounds like that is the right choice, when they allow them to go back. Our school had us commit to staying home for the whole semester. You can change from in-person to online, but not the other way around. If a vaccine is ready and available, I think they will try to have everyone come back to school ASAP.

We finally got some rain and the air smells better! The mountains are still hazy from our house, though. I hope your air will clear up soon! Poor California - I hope they get a ton of rain to help put out the fires.

I hope everyone is having a good week!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 12:05 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, 49 degrees?! I can't even imagine what that feels like. It was in the 50s when we went up north. It did cool off here and rained a bit, but the lowest we've had is I think 75. Your plan sounds good! Do your kids need to be online at specific times during the day? That was a big thing here--some parents were convinced the live sessions should last hours and hours.

I decided my kids are going back on Tuesday (week from today). The school made what seems a rather quick decision to reopen. Numbers are down here, and some schools (charters and a couple of districts) opened in person a couple of weeks ago. I've heard there are a lot of COVID cases at AZ State Univ. We'll have to see how things go.

It was just such a rough week last week! I thought at least DS liked online but he went on and on this weekend about how much he hated it! He too is pretty self-aware and realizes it's challenging in a variety of ways.

And of course I keep questioning it. They can't keep their teachers or keep doing Mandarin online. I could keep them home until after fall break and they'd go back mid-October but that would mean a few weeks of something even different than what they've already done (new teachers).

There is just no right answer these days, every answer is the wrong one. :/

DS told me repeatedly yesterday that I look exhausted! I'm taking a break from Burn Bootcamp, doing more videos and running again. And I feel like it's working, like maybe my belly is shrinking a bit? Or it's my imagination. Anyway, I figure I'll try this for a while.

One day at a time, right??

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 09-06-20, 07:45 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends, Happy September!

I don't really have much to report, except that the kids are starting school on Tuesday. All virtual. I think we're ready, but who knows?

DH is back to his regular work schedule. I made him a long honey-do list yesterday and he's chipping away at it. I kind of feel like a bit of a drill sargeant, but when you've been out of pocket for a month, needs must!

I've been doing barre3 most days and my PT exercises. It was a blissful 57 degrees this morning, so I took the dog on a fairly long walk. Let's just say I'm a little more cheerful than I was the last time I checked in!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-20, 06:09 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, did DH change jobs so he doesn't have to travel as much, or is it just that now you live closer so his work is more local? I feel ya on the list--the kids and I started a "honey-do" list on a dry erase board a couple of weeks ago. Seems to work--DH is actually doing the things on it! I saw your boys started school. How is it going?

Happy birthday to TonyaK and mbramer! Hope you both were able to celebrate and be celebrated.

My kids returned to in-person school yesterday. It was sort of sudden. The original plan was fully online until mid-October, and then a couple of weeks ago the district voted to go back. So, we loaded up on school supplies (they have to bring all their own) and masks, and off they went.

I was sort of happy and sort of anxious. And I got yet another job rejection email so I felt pretty icky yesterday. Then last night it poured rain and even hailed here and cooled off quite a bit. After dropoff this morning, I went and walked about 5K at a park and felt SO much better.

I am rather discouraged with the job hunt. And of course still angry about having lost my job and all. I keep telling myself we're fine financially and I didn't want to be there anymore anyway, but of course I wanted to leave on my own time and terms. I do have to find a job that's the right fit. I suspect there are a lot more entry-level positions open--the ones I've applied for pay more than those, but not as much as I was making.

Anyway, I am SO tired lately, I just can't seem to get up early more than a couple of times a week. We're going away this weekend, which should be nice.

Oh, I'm doing a free Les Mills streaming trial. I love the Trip cycle workouts, and BodyCombat. Still not sure if I'll sign up or not, but I am enjoying trying it out. Their barre wasn't great--it was truly more ballet--but that's not what I signed up for anyway.

Hope everyone is well. I'm optimistic that fall is on its way!

Old 09-17-20, 05:42 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oy, I've been bad about checking in. I mentally post ALL the time though!

I'm still job hunting. Interviews are exhausting. I actually got an offer yesterday which was a surprise because I spoke to the woman Monday and thought there would be more steps in the process. It's not a job I'm dying for but it is 100% remote and would give me new experience. It's also pretty low pay and not great benefits, so I'm still thinking.

Kids seem to be doing OK in school. I got an email from DS's teacher yesterday. I swear it was just hours after I thought, hm, I haven't heard from his teachers this year! It's the usual--he finishes his work and then disturbs others. He always wants to be done first, and then he wants to chat. It's not a huge deal but kind of a pain to deal with.

I was ramping up my running and then my hip suddenly got bad while up north doing a trail run. So now I'm trying to use my spin bike more and do LOTS of hip/glute rehab.

I am also really trying to get my eating under control. I feel like I've tried it all--fewer carbs, smaller portions, logging, etc. and nothing really works. :/ Now I'm sort of trying intermittent fasting--I wait until after 9 AM to have breakfast so hopefully my meals are all within fewer hours and maybe I'm not as hungry?

It is finally a tiny bit cooler here--mornings in the mid-70s instead of high 80s, so there is that! Part of me wants to not work for a while still so I can enjoy the weather. We went up north over the weekend and it was SO nice!

How's everyone doing? How is online school going?

Old 09-19-20, 05:24 PM  
TonyaK

Hi all! I hope September has been going well.

Pratima, I mentally post every day! I want to be better at posting in reality

Thank you for the birthday wishes and happy, happy birthday to my birthday twin, Mbramer!

I have been fairly consistent this month, which is a wonderful surprise to me! I always think I will be, but then I am not. I have been getting up early at least 4 days a week to go for a walk or do my STS workout before the kids get up. I am in the final, heaviest phase of STS and I am loving it. The exercises are simple and straightforward, and there aren't too many reps. I get to feel strong. It's great. They are long workouts, so I'm surprised that I'm having such an easy time feeling motivated, but they must be the right thing for this moment for me. Today I did Squat Rack Legs #38.

Remote school has been going okay. I had both kids in the same room, so they would have that little bit of socialization like regular school. DD complained that DS is too distracting. I was surprised at how much he taps on things and hums and talks and turns his chair side-to-side so it whacks against the desk over and over. In the past, he has been lauded by his teachers as having perfect behavior. He has been given an award for following directions when all the other kids ran around, shouting and ignoring the teacher! But at home he must feel free to fidget and make noise. So we moved DD's desk into her room last weekend, and it seems to be working well for now. It's pretty easy to move them around if we need to make more changes.

Pratima, the 2nd grade teacher is online with the kids all day long. She goes away during lunch and the longer breaks, but otherwise she is available to them and can see what they're doing. The 4th grade has a couple hours a day (broken up) where the kids are supposed to work on their own. I'm not sure if the teacher is signed out or if she is available during that time, or if she's working with small groups then. I don't supervise DD as much so I'm not sure! My kids did terribly in the spring when we were emergency-remote and they were supposed to do all their work on their own. They didn't feel like they had to do the work.

Let us know what you decide about the job! I hope you find something that's a good fit!! Sometimes it can be worth lower pay to learn something new (but not always!) I'm sure it's a tough decision.

I am the fattest I've ever been, and I can't get my weight to budge much. I'm trying to do keto with intermittent fasting. I had hoped that my consistent exercise would be the magic piece of the puzzle! Now I'm just telling myself to give it time. It hasn't been long yet (like 10 days of dieting). It feels like a long time! There are so many factors involved - I wish it were easier to know what to do.

Stephanie, thank goodness DH is back to his normal schedule! I hope you are still feel cheerful like in your last post!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 10:50 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Tonya, I'm the fattest I've ever been, too! I'd love to get back to IF, but I feel like I need to eat more often right now as I heal. I'm just trying to focus on nourishing myself well.

Yes, boys are so fidgety. It might be that your boy is less fidgety than other boys and that's why he gets awards.

I definitely cannot have my kids learning in the same room. Neither of them would ever get anything done.

Pratima, I mentally post all the time, too! Sometimes it's so real in my mind, then I actually look at the check in and I didn't actually do it. HA! DH was in Phoenix last week and got to go see my brother and his family. I was very envious! I can't wait to visit and actually meet you in person finally!

My collarbone was really tight and sore all weekend. I felt so depleted all weekend. So I kind of just laid low and didn't do much. I just a did a 10 minute barre3 and that felt fine. I have PT tomorrow so we'll see what he thinks. I didn't go last week because DH wasn't here. I know I'm doing well with my progress, but I'm just so over the whole thing. I just want to get back to normal!

I hope your hip is better, Pratima?

So, that's it. Just doing my normal thing over here, being fat, etc. HAHAHA! I'm really trying to be ok with it, but I'm just not. Sigh...

Oh! One more thing--have you guys ever tried one of those meal kit things? I got my first shipment of Hello Fresh over the weekend. The meals were really good, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth continuing.... I kind of feel like something has to give these days, you know? I need to find some way to cut corners....

Lastly, I got DS2 and I tickets to go to the National Gallery this afternoon! We're going to see a furniture exhibition. He's my little museum buddy. <3
Old 09-21-20, 04:05 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, congrats on being consistent! That is seriously an accomplishment these days. How do the kids feel about remote learning now? Mine took it seriously but it just wasn't for them. DS really hung in there but DD was so frustrated.

Stephanie, how long will it take to recover? Has your collarbone healed fully? What does the PT involve? And ooo, WHEN will you get to come out?? I'm excited to meet you!

I just can't seem to shake the extra weight either. It really is just like 5 lbs. but considering I weighed the same from college until about 2 years ago, it's weird. I don't feel like I've changed anything--I eat the same, work out the same, etc. Obviously hormonal changes have happened though!

I was all ready to accept that job offer from last week (today is the deadline) and then I got a request from a company for a second interview! It could be a MUCH better position and would definitely pay better.

It's awful, but I think I'm going to accept and then back out if I get the other one. Has anyone ever done that?

I am all over the place with workouts. Trying to avoid impact, and even kickboxing isn't doable right now, so I'm doing a lot of 20 minute cycle workouts. Still doing strength, with lighter weights, slow movements, etc. and tons of hip strengthening. I pulled out my old Lindsay Brin workouts and even those are kind of tough, so I'm doing a newer set of hers that includes a lot of unilateral lower body work.

My workouts are kind of like my life! Ah well, hopefully I'll get it at least somewhat together at some point.

Old 09-25-20, 08:32 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Pratima, what did you decide about the job/what was the outcome of the offer? Hoping and praying for a good offer from the other place! How is your hip? It's so rough when it's a lower body injury. Hard to do anything!

I wish my weight gain were only 5lbs! That's not bad at all. I'm seriously 20lbs over what I used to be. It's like everything blew up five years ago. So frustrating. I could be more disciplined right now, but I feel like i'm doing my best, for the most part.

PT is kind of lame, honestly. I like the guy, though. He basically moves my arm around for a while while we chat. He massages my shoulder for a few minutes, which is nice, then the tech leads me through exercises that are, quite frankly, not very hard. I told her next week we need to ratchet things up. I did feel great yesterday after I went, though. Today it's a little stiffer.

I go to the surgeon next Friday and they'll do another x-ray. He told me initially to not expect total healing for at least 3-4 months. I'm now 10 weeks post-surgery. I can do most daily tasks with it, but it does feel sore and stiff, and I am still be very careful when I exercise.

Speaking of exercise, I have been wanting to do my classic Firm tapes lately, which I still have on VHS. We never hooked up our old VHS player after we moved 2 years ago, so we did that a couple weeks ago. The player started eating my tapes! So clever DH took it apart and managed to fix it (did I mention this before?!) He suggested if I could get them on DVD, I should because he's not sure how long the player will hold out. So I ordered vols. 1,2,3,4 and 6 on DVD from Mary during her last sale. I think I only paid $13 and change for each so it was a good deal. So funny to think they cost $50 when they first came out back in the day!

This morning I did Vol. 1. I only used 3lb dumbbells. It was still somewhat challenging, but of course, not as much as if I were still using 10lbs. It's such a fun, familiar workout. Like an old friend.

OK, I need to help DS2 with school. more later!