Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-17, 07:42 AM  
marki64

Callanetics question

I am wondering how those that do Callanetics feel about it? I just got the new Callanetics Express from my library and tried it yesterday. Yes, it's a leg & ab burner. Do you find it helps with back and hip stiffness, mobility and flexibility? I am really trying to increase my flexibility, which I never have had, and mainly, work on my stiff and achey lower back. I want to have a normal back again. Thanks for any feedback.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 08:48 AM  
Lannette

You may have already found my thoughts and reviews. If you haven't already, I suggest you do a tag search and type in Callanetics. A ton of threads will pop up.

I've now been using Callanetics as my primary WO vehicle for 10 months. It has been and continues to be beneficial to me. It has helped me regain lost flexibility but it's no magic bullet. IMHO anything worth doing requires a certain amount of commitment. I'm finding that the longer I commit to it the less times per week I need to commit. My WOs are deeper and more demanding as my form improved.

I won't go on, though I could. The thread that I shared has a good deal of my experience.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 11:32 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, it can help. i relieved hip pain by doing the pretzel move.

i have callanetics express and several of the other newer callanetics DVDs with Lacey.

however, if you can, try the original "callanetics 10 years in 10 hours" or what we refer to as the 10/10 workout. callan teaches it and she explains how she abused her back from traveling in europe while carrying a heavy back pack. throughout the workout and some of the "sound byte snippets" she explains how your back can be improved using callanetics.

her mom is in this video as one of the cast members, and i think the mom (Margaret) was in her 80s. Margaret had a very weak spine due to age. she shows how Margaret initially modified the side bend move, but after a while, she could do it the regular way.

callanetics is one of the few workouts where it's slow enough (but not too slow) where you can un-compress your spine while also strengthening the muscles around it. and Callan shows you how to do it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 02:25 PM  
marki64

Wow Lannette that's very thorough and helpful! Honestly, I thought it would be boring but she does move through the it at a nice pace. I like Lacey's voice. Normally, I don't like a lot of chatter, but she is very calm and I need the constant form pointers.

I am glad to hear bzar that this has helped your back. My back actually feels less tight today just from doing this dvd one day.
Old 07-04-17, 02:31 PM  
Lannette

Marki, I'm so glad that you like Lacey's voice and manner. If you're interested in improving your back I would suggest that you invest in Lacey's Beginner WO. As of yesterday Amazon had it for less than $7.00. It contains the newest form and form pointers.

Back when Callanetics first came out I did the original 10 in 10 WO weekly for 15 years. You would think I would have nailed the form and in truth my form was pretty good BUT it's gotten so much better since I decided to approach this as a beginner. Better form means better results, be those results thinner thighs, a smaller tighter waist, or less back pain and more flexibility.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 07-04-17, 02:35 PM  
marki64

My library has the 10 in 10. I will check it out. Thanks!
Old 07-05-17, 06:28 PM  
tamib

Lannette is this the dvd you mentioned? It's showing up $12.74 for me so I just wanted to be sure it was the right one.
Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/Callanetics-B...s+beginner+dvd
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 06:34 PM  
Lannette

I'm sorry. Yes that's the one. Darn Amazon and their shifting prices. A few days ago it was around $6.80.

Old 07-05-17, 06:37 PM  
tamib

Yes, the price game drives me nuts, Wal-mart online is doing it now also. Doesn't make me feel like they think much of me as a customer.
I'm in the middle of a Jessica rotation, maybe I'll hang on a week or so and it will go back down.
Thanks.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 06:41 PM  
Lannette

Yes, we had a dog kennel on Walmart.com double in price overnight.

If I notice it dropping again I'll post here. I checked and the Callanetics streaming center is charging $9.99 for the download.

Tags
backpacking, callanetics