Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-17, 01:03 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Finished Yoga 30 for 30

I finished my Yoga 30 for 30 rotation yesterday and I'm here to review and rave!

I've never done yoga so consistently as the last month or so (I did miss a few days so my 30 was more like 36). I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The program includes 16 different 30 minute practices. The first one and the last one are done just once in the month, but the middle 14 are repeated once. Here's a list - for the most part, the titles are self-explanatory, but I'll make a few notes:

Intention
Even Flow
Stamina
Gentle
Balance
Twists
Backbends
Yin
Fluidity
Edge (as in taking you to yours . . .)
Flow and Stretch
Restore (lying on pillows for 30 minutes)
Chi Flow
Arm Balances & Inversions
Mobility (wrist and shoulder mobility)
Victory

There are also three optional practices that are 10 minutes each: Core, Meditation and Pranayama. I didn't care for these that much and didn't include them very often.

Lauren and Travis alternate workouts, and they team teach the first and last and the three optionals.

I'm an intermediate yogini (at best) and I found these challenging but doable. There were modifications mentioned for almost everything. Travis and Lauren are really good at cuing, and I always knew what I was supposed to be doing. The music is great and the beat of the music corresponds with the rhythm of the breathing. Very nicely done.

Finally, I had no trouble at all streaming the workouts. I used my iPad and Apple TV. I haven't tried to download any of them, so I can't report on that.

Overall I'm very pleased with the program and I'm sure I will repeat the 30 days sometime soon.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 02:37 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Thanks so much for the review. I've been thinking about purchasing these workouts and doing the rotation this summer. Sounds very doable.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:40 PM  
Cybersparkle

Thanks for the review, really helpful

I have been doing Ultimate Yogi lately & loving it. I wonder how the new Yoga 30 for 30 compares.

Is 30 4 30 harder than UY?

Overall, which one do you like better?

(Gwynn or anyone else who has done both)

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:46 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I have UY, but have only done a couple of the practices and I don't remember . . . Now I want to revisit them!
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 06:04 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
I have UY, but have only done a couple of the practices and I don't remember . . . Now I want to revisit them!
I can't praise it enough! It is the best yoga I have ever done on every level.
It is so good to hear that in 30 4 30 the music is good & coordinates with the breath, it's like that in UY too.

Definitely pull out UY , seems like it is a perfect compliment to 30 4 30.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 08:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

link:
http://yoga30for30.com/product/yoga-30-for-30-program/

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 10:35 AM  
Cher

Now after reading your review Gwynn, you have me back to wanting to get this again! I love they are only 30 minutes. I like UY but didn't last long with it because an hour is just too long for me.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 11:26 AM  
AnMrsDe

Cher, as you know from our check-in, I've been raving about this set---you DO need it!!

The production value, cueing, and syncing of the music/breath is perfection just like in UY, although I did notice some volume issues with certain classes. I should mention that I never tried the Meditation or the Pranayama classes yet.

Love Edge - that's the one I do when I want to work on my strength and endurance...it's awesome! And my favorites when just wanting a lovely practice are Even Flow or Gentle which are appropriately named. Twists and Backbends are favorites too. The Restore I can only do before bed or after a super hard workout since it uses pillows and all I want to do is sleep during it!

There were a few classes I didn't really enjoy as much without modifications. Balance and Arms & Inversions among the top. They don't give you enough time to get into position of the poses to perfect them, so I just go at my own pace, as well as skipping the roll backs in Balance. Not sure what they're supposed to accomplish other than cranky knees and a tweaky back! I only did Mobility once since my wrists didn't like certain exercises. One exercise they instruct to turn your hands toward your legs while in table top position...my wrists don't like that! And I don't want to jinx my arthritic wrists while they're non-painful at the moment...

Cybersparkle, I don't think Yoga30For30 classes are necessarily harder than UY, maybe a little easier (most of them), primarily b/c they're only 30 min. instead of 60 min. As with the Core - it's great but since the duration of exercises is shorter, I feel it may be a bit easier than UY's Hardcore. But this was a plus for me since being shorter, I could stick with it more consistently. HTH!

Overall, Travis and Lauren did a fabulous job with this set!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 01:34 PM  
ncl

Are these downloads or streaming?
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 02:03 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
Are these downloads or streaming?
Both. You can view them on the site, which is easy to navigate, and you can download. You can also select the quality/size of the download file.

I also highly recommend this program. Excellent set.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lauren brooks, roll backs, travis eliot, travis elliot, yoga 30 for 30, yoga 30 for 30 review