Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-16, 07:04 AM  
Tugger31

Unhappy Perimenopause Weight Gain

How do you deal with it?? Some background, I'm mid 40's have not had my cycle for about 6 months. I do have an upcoming appt with my doctor just to check bloodwork. But assuming that is normal, how do you deal with the weight gain? Last October I decided I needed to get fit, as I had let myself go and was stress eating. As of May of this year I had lost 10 lbs and did it the healthy way, eating better, working out, enjoying holidays then getting back to it and forging ahead. Now since June I have gained 8 lbs and have done absolutely nothing different. The only thing different is hot flashes and then thereafter no periods since about February. I feel so bummed. Any similar experiences or insights to share?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 07:55 AM  
ckirkpat

Perimenopausal weight gain

Hi,
I've struggled with the same thing for about a year and half now. My daughter took a picture of me last July and I was appalled at how I looked in the picture. Since July 2015 I've totally stripped my diet and have eaten clean and restarted working out. I fell off the wagon for about 7 years due to life stressors (divorce, moved houses etc). I successfully lost about 15 lbs 4 months into starting back but gained probably 5-7 of it back. I had strayed from my diet a bit and my body sure responded to it. So I have learned if I want to keep my weight off I have to eat entirely clean with little variation. I feel 100% better since starting to eat clean. I sleep better, my moods are more stable and I have new energy I haven't had in the past 10 years. I also am hypothyroid and take antidepressants that have caused me to put on 10lbs so I have to be scrupulous with my diet. For me it truly is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I don't know if this is at all helpful but it has been my journey over the past year or so.
Old 09-06-16, 08:34 AM  
Demeris

Perimenopause and menopause shifted my diet/exercise ratios from 85%/15% to 96%/4%.

Just before perimenopause, I had crafted the perfect diet for me (and please know that each person's digestive/metabolic physiology is different and changes over time--there is NO one perfect diet).

That diet kept me healthy, strong, and lithe UNTIL the hardest throes of perimenopause/menopause.

Suddenly, the diet and exercise that had kept me so healthy for so many years was allowing my body to weaken and soften a bit too rapidly for my happiness.

I did a ton MORE research on the effects of ageing on female digestive/metabolic physiology (and this is key because our reproductive hormones are almost inextricable with all our other hormones--these glands act in delicate balance with one another). I changed my diet (actually it wasn't a huge change) and added in a couple of supplements.

I have begun my return to my pre-peri-menopausal levels of fitness and lithe-ness.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 08:42 AM  
momofcha

I don't deal with it very well let me tell you.... I can gain anywhere from 4-6 pounds/month. I work out 6 days/week. I try and do yoga. I eat pretty clean. I am hypothyroid also. I am beside myself with frustration.

I tried cutting back on my workouts to see if I'm stressing my cortisol. While I am enjoying the essentrics immensely, there is no weight change down. I have tried supplements of various kinds. Didn't work.

For me losing weight at this point in my life is 100% diet and working out is just for my mental sanity. I am trying the Whole 30 with my daughter beginning yesterday. At any rate I'm going to go gluten free and see if that doesn't help and then we can go from there.

I'll be watching this thread for many tips!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 09:18 AM  
Aunt Famous

I am 48, and this year, I gained eight pounds in six months without changing my eating habits or exercise. In a prior thread, Nuggie's Auntie (I think) posted about how most women gain 10 pounds during this time to counteract declining estrogen levels; fat produces estrogen. Even though I am not exactly happy about the weight gain, knowing this helped me accept it. (If you are interested, I wrote about my efforts at acceptance here.)

Otherwise, I continue to eat well and train hard enough, but not too hard. A sore foot has me doing a combination of boxing and Pilates this week, and so far, the first three days have been really enjoyable. I figure that even if I weigh a little more, I am still working toward good health -- which means I win in the long haul.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 10:44 AM  
cherimac

I remember a book~I think it was Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell~where this was discussed. Her ideas on diet and exercise didn't jive at all with me~like an hour of cardio a day, 6 days a week, etc. BUT, her research on the changes in women's bodies were interesting. And yes, she said that women gain an average of 10 pounds to help with estrogen loss. And that's why it seems to go to our abdomen. All the reasoning escapes me. I did come away with the idea that it was normal and, to an extent, helpful. Letting go of societal expectations to be thin and look at 51 like I did at 21 has helped too, but it's tough. I feel for you.
Old 09-06-16, 10:46 AM  
cherimac

Oh, and the good news is that the weight can be shed post-menopause, according to the book. Don't know if that's true as I'm not completely there yet. I went 5 months cycle free and then had three back to back, then two after two months. Now it's been two plus months again. I'm so ready to be DONE.
Old 09-06-16, 12:25 PM  
Shelbygirl

Smile

I was cycle free for 10 months but had gained around 15 pounds over the course of a couple years. (Note that I am 51). Last spring, out of desperation, I joined Weight Watchers at work (and on-line). I also ramped up my workouts, going from three to five or six a week (so I could have more food points ). I also bought a veggie spiralizer, which I use all the time. (No more pasta and bread for me). I've been able to drop 25 pounds.

But, the weird thing is, my cycle has started back up on a regular monthly basis. I don't know if that has to do with the weight loss or just peri-menopausal weirdness. All I know is if I have to start over with the hot flashes and such, I will be seriously bummed!

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 02:53 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for sharing all your stories. I had hot flashes for a short period of time, though it seemed like forever. That is almost if not worse than the weight gain! If I have hot flashes again I'm going to go insane!!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 03:01 PM  
ckirkpat

Perimenopausal weight gain

Weird how we are all so different. I've had once cycle over the past year and have not experienced one hot flash yet. My cousin said I was still young (47) and I will likely experience them in my 50's . My mother had a hysterectomy at the age of 45 so she didn't truly go through menopause so I have nothing to compare myself to. My sister is younger than me (45) and still gets her cycle regularly.

Tags
menopause, perimenopause, weight gain