Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-16, 08:09 AM  
AnMrsDe

LOL! I don't know what it was about Rudy's YW 365 set, but I could not get into it...and I LOVE Rudy! He does tend to try too hard though at times to be amusing, and when you're trying to balance in tree pose and then he makes certain comments about men's anatomy, well.....it gets to be a little much. Udaya's The Method proved that.

Ya, I wonder how DP would comment about that yoga class, LOL!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:46 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
But this sentence about Travis just cracked me up:
"He has less voice intonation than Siri." Hilarious!.
Some brilliant VFer described his voice as a singsong monotone, which sounds contradictory but is perfect for Travis.

I love the Yin practice from UY but was put off the rotation after the speed and intensity of Day One's Cross Training practice - yikes.
Old 07-06-16, 10:36 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Some brilliant VFer described his voice as a singsong monotone, which sounds contradictory but is perfect for Travis.

<snip>
That's it in a nutshell!

I was also put off because I watched the intro where he talks about his search to become the Ultimate Yogi. Ugh. It came across as so arrogant to me. And I know from people who have dealt with him personally that he's not that way at all.
Old 07-06-16, 01:31 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I never did an UY rotation but I do enjoy the series except for Cardio. I also never tried Sun Salutations or Meditation. I do find the Dysfunctional Parrot amusing even if I don't always agree with him.
Old 07-06-16, 01:53 PM  
missmomus

I'm easily annoyed by voices, so I'm not sure why Travis's doesn't bother me, but it doesn't. I love everything he says and never thought he talks too much (Rudy however...). I've also come to appreciate Vytas recently who does very little extraneous talking, and has a very soothing voice, but as someone who has stopped & restarted yoga numerous times, sometimes I need the extra encouragement and motivational words (and occasionally, necessary distraction from getting too caught up in my own thoughts). For me, Travis strikes the right balance between down to earth and spiritual without getting too esoteric. I don't think I would have gotten back into yoga if not for him, although I have never and would never use UY exclusively. It was still one of the best investments I ever made.

Travis & Vytas are actually a great combo, I've found, depending on mood - sometimes you want "less talk, more rock" or vice versa.
missmomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 10:29 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Thanks for the link to the review. I love UY but I also agree he nailed it in describing it accurately.
Old 07-07-16, 11:55 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Great article but I'm also in the 'love' Travis camp. His voice doesn't bother me and I get into my practice so much that I kind of tune out some of the babble. One of my favorite Yoga sets and one of the reasons I subscribe to Udaya online.

DP does write great reviews tho.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 07:47 PM  
angie_nrs

I laughed at the comment about the review that said they thought Travis' voice sounded like a mix of Matthew McConaughey and Dana Carvey.

My son is doing his first ever workout rotation and he picked UY. He wants to do the whole 108 day rotation as written.......I wished him luck. I'm glad he found something in "mom's" workout library to put to use. It's been a while since I've done a UY workout but I remember them being difficult and when I see my 18 year old son come upstairs drenched in sweat it makes me feel a little better. Is that wrong??
Old 08-25-16, 08:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I laughed at the comment about the review that said they thought Travis' voice sounded like a mix of Matthew McConaughey and Dana Carvey.

My son is doing his first ever workout rotation and he picked UY. He wants to do the whole 108 day rotation as written.......I wished him luck. I'm glad he found something in "mom's" workout library to put to use. It's been a while since I've done a UY workout but I remember them being difficult and when I see my 18 year old son come upstairs drenched in sweat it makes me feel a little better. Is that wrong??
I think that is awesome.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 01:38 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
that's pretty dead on. i skimmed DP's review of UY a while back but must have forgotten about this comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I think that is awesome.

i'm ok with travis' voice and rudy's style. i've done more workouts from UY compared with YW.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dysfunctional parrot, reviews, travis eliot, ultimate yogi