Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-16, 11:06 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Peloton Spinning Classes

I know there aren't many of us, but for those people who have tried the Peloton on demand spinning classes, what do you think of the arm work included ? I find it odd that they throw in a song of arm work in the middle ? Why bother? It brings the HR down and isn't enough work to really build any muscle. I read one article that seemed to say that Soul Cycle (which I've never done) was the inspiration for the Peloton concept and apparently there is a lot of arm movement in Soul Cycle ???? Maybe that's why they include it? Any thoughts? Do you like the arm work thrown in ? I noticed that there are some workouts labeled "no arms". I think I'm going to veer toward those.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 11:23 AM  
mattsmom64

I have been taking classes every day with the app. Sometimes I will do the arm work and other days I will pedal through. I have taken classes at my gym that follow the same format. Honestly, I don't think there is any benefit to it other than "giving you a break" from cycling.....Nevertheless, these are hands down the best cycle classes I have ever taken. With over 3000 rides to choose from I sometimes have a hard time choosing one!
mattsmom64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 03:49 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I have taken classes at Flywheel and they do the same thing. Once an instructor who had great muscle definition said to the class that that was the only arm work she did. I'm not a big fan of doing arm work on the bike. I will concur that the Peletone cycling classes simply amazing. I have only done two classes so far but they were the two best spin classes I've ever done.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 04:37 PM  
Chomper

Yes, my guess is it is because so many of their class members don't do any strength training at all otherwise. I guess they also think they don't need leg work with all the cycling, but I think in that case it would probably be better to get off the bike and do some planks and lunges too.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 06:58 PM  
MJ051279
VF Supporter

I Love the Peloton classes. So much variety and GREAT music selections. Personally, I pedal thru the arm work. I don't find it enough. I was a member of SSOD for 6 mths and I like the choices at Peloton. Plus since I am only interested in spin the difference between 19.98 a mth vs 12.99 a mth made it an easy decision to switch.

I love being a Nana
MJ051279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 11:51 PM  
Yelly

I really want to try these now! Does anyone have a link? Is it only an app or can you get classes online? Thanks!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 11:53 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I really want to try these now! Does anyone have a link? Is it only an app or can you get classes online? Thanks!
It's app only. Very easy to use. There's a free trial period that does not require a credit card
Old 01-09-16, 11:57 PM  
Chomper

The only thing that has put me off is the idea of trying to balance my iPad on my spin bike handlebar thingy. But I need to just get a grip and plus my iPad into the computer by the spin bike.

Is there a favorite class recommendation? I feel like when I looked at it a year ago, there were so many to choose from I was overwhelmed.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 12:05 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
The only thing that has put me off is the idea of trying to balance my iPad on my spin bike handlebar thingy. But I need to just get a grip and plus my iPad into the computer by the spin bike.

Is there a favorite class recommendation? I feel like when I looked at it a year ago, there were so many to choose from I was overwhelmed.
I watch it on my tv. I use an adaptor to connect the phone to a cable that goes
To the tv.

There are over 3000 classes. I use the filter feature to decide how long a class I want to do and what type and which teacher and then I randomly pick one. I doubt I will ever do the same class twice. There are around 10 new classes posted each day. I think they are all of equal quality but probably over time I will have a favorite few instructors I will gravitate toward. Just dive in and do one.
Old 01-10-16, 12:09 AM  
Yelly

Thanks so much Sancho and everyone else for putting the word out about this! I downloaded the app and am signing up!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, peloton, spinning