Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-15, 10:37 AM  
TinaT

The Menopause and Exercise Thread

So, many of you ladies have spoken up about this season of life. Yes, I'm right in the midst of it and it can be difficult on some days. Exercise has been a struggle to be consistent with.

Instead of beating myself up, I decided yesterday I will simply walk for exercise. When I go to the Kroc Center with my husband, I will walk the indoor track for the full hour. When I'm home, I'll use Jessica Smith Walking. (BTW, I'm in the NW where all the fires are, so no outside exercise right now). I will use CS as well as add-ons to my walking.

What are you doing to stay active during this season of menopause?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 11:00 AM  
BunnyHop

Mostly just trying to avoid overdoing it.

Yesterday, for example. Went for an impromptu walk since temperatures were so nice. Somehow found myself walking three miles instead of my intended two. Big mistake. Wound up with a sore pinky toe and was incredibly stiff as I got back in the car.

Glutton for punishment that I am (apparently), I then went out walking around in the shopping center. Ugh. Stupid move. Very tired last night, and my bad foot was aching.

I'm okay now, but am taking a day of rest just to make sure I didn't hurt my bad foot.

Also got a bit of a sunburn. (Which mostly reminds me why I used to get up so early to walk.)

FWIW, I've ordered some new, hopefully better shoes for my next outdoor walk.

My ordinary routine is all indoor work, and my recent focus has been on doing something everyday without wearing myself out, just to get used to the routine of it all. CS/KCM/Jessica Smith
Old 08-29-15, 11:13 AM  
TinaT

Anna, isn't it amazing how tired you can get now. I hate it. I pray this season is short for me.
Old 08-29-15, 11:58 AM  
BunnyHop

It really is something.

I've been feeling much better since I started taking sleep meds regularly. I hadn't realized how exhausted I was til I felt better. Whew.

The whole 'wow, I don't feel exhausted' thing is what's given me a good foundation to start working out more regularly (and to lose some weight, whee!).
Old 08-29-15, 12:02 PM  
TinaT

My sleep is starting to improve. I was having to nap at about 2pm in order to continue the rest of my day. I'm not napping as much lately. Walking seems very double. No thinking, other than keeping good form.

Food intake is next on the list..........
Old 08-29-15, 12:35 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'll be 49 in a couple of weeks and am in perimenopause, but think I'll be in full menopause in about a year or so the way things are going. I try to walk 2-3 miles per day, depending on the weather, but I don't do it all in one session. I walked 2 miles this morning and then it was starting to get too hot out so I will wait until this evening and then will walk another mile. Breaking it up seems to work better for me and I don't get the soreness. I also am doing 10 Minute Trainer right now. That's always my go-to routine when I'm recovering from something or just feel like a lighter workout is all I need. I'm looking into getting Jessica Smith's newest DVDs for when the winter comes and walking outside is not possible.

I'm finding that less is more at this age...
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 01:06 PM  
cherimac

Walking, barre, Pilates. High intensity makes me gain weight and feel achy. If I don't do something, I feel more tired and don't sleep as well.

Honestly, food choices are more important than anything else right now. Things I have always been able to tolerate I can't deal with now, like iced coffee and chocolate.
Old 08-29-15, 01:15 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post

Honestly, food choices are more important than anything else right now. Things I have always been able to tolerate I can't deal with now, like iced coffee and chocolate.
This is true for me too.

I'm finding that I have to be really careful which things I let myself enjoy, and how often.

Exercise helps, but food intake and calorie load seem really crucial when you're trying to make a change.

Weirdly enough, I find it kind of frustrating that I don't seem to need as much food as I did when I was younger. So many good things to eat, but I have to be really careful so the number on the scale doesn't go back up.
Old 08-29-15, 02:02 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I'm finding out the hard way...

I had my yearly physical this week. Everything was fine...except my weight. My weight is the highest it's ever been.

I'm not crazy about the prospect of eating like a bird from now on, but that looks like what I need to do.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 02:32 PM  
cherimac

Juliepie-hugs. I've been there. I sent you a p.m.

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause