Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-15, 08:53 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Wink School's out...

... what kind of workouts are you planning to do during these next weeks with [possibly] kid(s) being at home?

I'm at a loss right now as one one hand I'd like to follow a mix of TIA & Blogilates daily as well as some Jessica Smith walks & other workouts thrown in.., but at the same time I'm having a hard time getting motivated when the kids are at home! The days start automatically later and everyone's a bit lazier...

So right now I'm thinking between 20-30 min would be probably the best realistic aim for me to actually get a daily workout done... (If I end up doing more with add-ons, that'd be a plus, but that might not always happen.. )

I'm not sure though if it would be effective enough if I'd only do shorter sequences of TIU & Blogilates or if I'd better focus more on workouts like KCM, Firm ZIP, Firm Express or even Stephanie H's Power series? I'm also kinda interested in re-visiting my Joyce Vedral workouts (dvd as well as books)...

I'd love to hear from other VFer moms (with young(er) kids at home) what you are doing!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-15, 09:06 PM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

Well right now I am on a modified bed rest with my fourth child as of a few weeks ago, but after baby delivers and I am cleared I will proceed as usual with summer stuff depending on what this new guys sleep schedule will be. I typically start before my 3 other kids get up , and we have a basic understanding,lol, unless there is fire, blood or another type of emergency , please entertain yourself quietly, or continue relaxing, but please do not come out to where mom is training. I leave the kitchen light on for my little guy and shut bedroom door to signal , Dad is till sleeping and Im in garage/gym. With a new baby in the mix , that means sometimes I will break up workout into two separate parts , sometimes more with a newborn, just depends on the child. If i know I will be a while, like if my youngest gets up early, I pause at certain point to ck in with him and if he is inclined and desires allow him to pick a spot in gym with me to hang out and do his own thing.
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-15, 09:17 PM  
at120

My kids are young, so they're at home a lot. As a result, I don't work out until late at night (once the kids are down and the chores are finished). For the last few years I've been buying instructor group fitness tapes. As I can't make it out to the gym for Pump, Kick, or Combat any more, I'm bringing the workouts home.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 06:24 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

bjammin13,
congrats on your pregnancy with #4! Kudos to you with your 3 kids always having a set workout routine, that's very admirable!
All the best for the remaining weeks (?) of your pregnancy and a safe delivery!

at120,
kudos to you as well for working out in the evening once kids are down and chores done! By that time I'm usually so spent myself, all I want is to go to bed! LOL

I'm hoping to see others (you don't have to be a mom necessarily! ) chime in as well!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

Old 06-08-15, 07:27 AM  
keb's mom

What works for me is to get up early and exercise before the children are even awake. I have teenagers now so the earliest they rise is 9am. That gives me a decent amount of time. In a couple of weeks the youngest will attend a camp daily that starts at 8:30 so I will need to be done with my workout and be showered and dressed by 8am. Would getting up early to exercise be an option?

Maria
keb's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 09:35 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I'm a sahm mom with three kids. I will be chauffeuring for a lot of summer activities. For the next few weeks, I will be doing Lauren's new kettlebell DVD which are 15 minutes a day along with walking or hula hooping or rebounding....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 07:27 AM  
buffmama

Hey Val!
I'm another that has always worked out before DS got up. Now that he can entertain himself it's less of an issue but still the best way for me to guarantee it gets done before other stuff gets in the way. Occasionally he watches, or tries a few moves, cheers me on, or corrects my form. It's all good. Hopefully as he ages and gets more into fitness he'll remember that I know a thing or two about it.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 08:35 AM  
shoegoddess

I don't have kids in or out of school but I do have a retired husband. Same thing I guess! I get up early between 6-6:30 and get my workout done. Otherwise it won't get done if I wait until later.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 10:30 AM  
desie

The kids really don't mind me working out, so I think my routine will not change. I like to do deliberate, intentional movements and feel stretched out afterwards, and my favourite instructors are Tonique, Tracy Anderson and But I. I am doing the Tonique Hawaii dvd right now, and she moves a little more carefully than in previous workouts - she is outside and balancing on wet surfaces, sometimes she is barefoot too. But I have written down other instructors to try over the summer. My summer goal is to form an opinion on Zuzka, Lauren Brooks, Leah Sarago, Hamelin d'Abell, and Barre3.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 07:58 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Thanks for all your responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb's mom View Post
.... Would getting up early to exercise be an option?
Well, the thing is, I'm already getting up at 7 am and that's very early for me during the summer time (I'd like to sleep in til 9 or even 10 am otherwise ). I don't think it's really the time that's an issue for me but rather the fact that I feel in a workout 'funk' and don't know what to chose!.. The idea of 45-60 min workouts don't appeal to me right now and I'd prefer doing something short(er) and be done with it, while at the same time feeling I did a great workout and not just 'dilly dally', kwim?
My dilemma seems to be that I have several workout schedules that I'd like to follow (as mentioned earlier, such as TIU, Blogilates, Firm as well as Jessica Smith) and yet I don't seem to know how to mix it all up while still staying in the 30 min range..

I guess I should have worded my topic better!..

Tags
firm, kcm, shorter workouts, summer break, tiu