Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-14, 08:37 AM  
iheartsts

Opinions on running shoes vs. court for cardio/Hiit?

Dumb question alert....

I'm currently doing P90X3 and Tony keeps saying that we need to be wearing court shoes, not running shoes. He never actually says why(or maybe I haven't paid enough attention?)

I like the cushioning and stability of running shoes. Am I doing a disservice to my feet by not wearing court shoes? Or by not wearing court shoes, am I just not making the most of the workout by not being able to jump higher or farther? Is the lateral movement limited by running shoes?

I always wear running shoes for all workouts, including cardio stuff, like Turbo Fire, etc... Am I screwing up my feet by doing this? Or would I just have a better workout experience by trying other types of shoes?

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated...and if you have any specific shoe recommendations, that would be great, too.
Old 10-10-14, 08:44 AM  
laurajhawk

I know the issue is lateral stability. I think it's possible to roll your ankle, for example, when moving sideways in running shoes because they just don't provide a lot of support in that direction. One time I "blew out" the side of a pair of fairly new walking shoes (the side stitching just came apart) while doing a workout with lots of lateral movement - that kind of illustrated the problem for me.

I've been using trail-runners for my cardio. I like the support too, and I figure they're built for more lateral stability on uneven ground. I'm not sure whether Tony would approve.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 09:57 AM  
iheartsts

Laura, trail runners sound like a good idea. I'm going to check them out. Thanks for the input! (Shhh...I won't tell Tony...)
Old 10-10-14, 10:29 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsts View Post
(Shhh...I won't tell Tony...)
Good! 'Cause if he doesn't like our shoes, HE'LL COME TO OUR HOUSE.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 11:13 AM  
iheartsts

That's scary!!.....but maybe after he'd make us drop and do a bazillion pushups for our bad shoe behavior, he might actually be kinda fun to hang with!
Old 10-10-14, 01:28 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I found this article that explains the differences between various types of athletic shoes: http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/docum...ers.cfm?id=266
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 02:46 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I switched to a "flatter" type of running shoe (less heel to toe drop) and then switched back to a more traditional running shoe, and I am having a hard time with regular cardio workouts. I find that my balance isn't as good in the traditional running shoes and it's harder to do some of the lateral movements. But, I don't know if I would have ever thought that had I not gotten used to the flatter shoes.
Old 10-10-14, 04:22 PM  
iheartsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I found this article that explains the differences between various types of athletic shoes: http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/docum...ers.cfm?id=266
Great article. Thanks so much for posting. Looks like I need some new shoes.

ETA: Emily, that's really interesting how you noticed the difference. I always thought one good pair of running shoes was good for everything, but it looks like I need to re-think this approach. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-14, 10:03 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsts View Post
Great article. Thanks so much for posting. Looks like I need some new shoes.

ETA: Emily, that's really interesting how you noticed the difference. I always thought one good pair of running shoes was good for everything, but it looks like I need to re-think this approach. Thanks for your input.
Wishing I had a choice. I have to wear prescription orthotics in my running shoes for low-to-moderate-impact cardio dance (will go barefoot for non-to-low impact Oriental dance, however) and, for the most part, I use these, these days for cardio dance. I avoid NIA because of my foot problems. I had to use the running shoes for a World Groove Movement workshop, where practically all others in it were able to go barefoot. This had not happened before.

I'm very careful; at times my ankle give a little zitz, but, again I'm very, very careful.
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 11:28 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Wishing I had a choice. I have to wear prescription orthotics in my running shoes for low-to-moderate-impact cardio dance (will go barefoot for non-to-low impact Oriental dance, however) and, for the most part, I use these, these days for cardio dance. I avoid NIA because of my foot problems. I had to use the running shoes for a World Groove Movement workshop, where practically all others in it were able to go barefoot. This had not happened before.

I'm very careful; at times my ankle give a little zitz, but, again I'm very, very careful.
Same here. I'm in an ankle brace at the moment and then will have to wear orthotics forever. I can't go barefoot at all for any reason.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes