Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-13, 11:07 AM  
TinaS

I just finished with Fusion Mix. Darby does talk non-stop, but it's much more noticeable when I previewed than when I did the workout. She gives a lot of form pointers which I find helpful. These workouts are a lot different than anything I've done. Some of the moves are really challenging. I followed the modifier most of the time. This workout is less cardio-focused than Bikini Bootcamp. It's more toning focused. There's a lot of inner thigh work. I'm really glad I purchased this series.

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 11:43 AM  
Yelly

I also wasn't bothered by Darby's talking - to tell you the truth, I didn't even notice it (I'm also not bothered by the girl on Kettlebell Kickboxing - I think she's adorable and I those workouts)
I also just finished Fusion with Brooke, and she didn't bother me either. This was a super tough workout too! Holy crap - where do these girls come up with these moves? I seriously love it!! So, imagine my surprise when it was over in 45 minutes!! I was relieved, because, at least for me, the ONLY reason this one was easier than Fusion with Darby was because it was shorter!

I really think if I previewed these 1st, their voices may have bothered me more while previewing, than while actually doing the workout. While you're actually working out with them, you're focusing more on what you're doing and how you're going to get through it, ha ha! The only one that did bother me was Bikini Bootcamp - definitely my least favorite so far - not just because of that girls constant blabbering and voice, but also because it's too fast in parts. I am so loving these though! Lots and lots of fun and sweat
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 12:35 PM  
mbenson

These really do look great and I thought I could do these even with modificaitons but I'm scared I might hurt my lower back again. Unfortunately I had to list these on the swap for fear of getting hurt again.

Hopefully I can find something close to these type of workouts because they do look good.
mbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 12:45 PM  
hotncmom

Just finished Bikini Bootcamp. I didn't think I would like this one because I've never liked kickboxing, and I was right. I don't like punching and jabbing and crossing. I liked the most of the lower body work in the cardio section but it just moved too fast. I was thinking to substitute Slide and Glide or Bum Bum or one of Jessica Smith's lower body workouts in the rotation. The floorwork was fine, serviceable, but I have better workouts that I could substitute that I like more.

Her voice didn't bother me, but the non-modifying modifier did. I was trying to eliminate all of the jumping but sometimes no substitute was given, and when it was, it was halfway through the exercise.

I think the rest of the set will be fine and I look forward to trying them all. When I bought this, I knew full well I probably wouldn't do the kickboxing workout, so it's not a big deal. I was hoping to change my mind once I did it, but oh well.

So on Bikini Bootcamp days I will do a squat/lunge based workout, some floorwork, and light weights. You know what would be a perfect substitute if I can get the guts to do it? Tonique Premier! Maybe I will whip it out and start with 15 reps of each exercise.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 12:55 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I am very interested in your review of this one. I love stability ball workouts and am looking forward to this one. I previewed and had to turn the sound off partway through, though. Darby makes that woman from Kettlebell Kickboxing seem quiet! Did you find it bothersome during the workout? I am pretty sure I'll be able to tune her out when I'm actually doing the workout, but I have to admit that her constant.constant.constant chatter really turned me off on the preview.

The non-modifying modifier seems to be a recurring issue. I thought it was hilarious in Bikini Bootcamp that the modifier only remembered to modify when the instructor cued about modifications. (I still really liked the workout, though.)
Her constant chatter wasn't too bad and wasn't too noticeable since I was working so hard. I noticed it more when we got on the floor and was like man she talks a lot.

If you can handle Dasha's chatter in Kettlebell Kickboxing, than I think you can deal with Darby. I notice Dasha's chatter more while doing her workouts. Maybe when I get more acclimated to this workout, than Darby's chatter will be more noticeable.

Please report back with your thoughts, once you do the workout. I really liked it and can't wait to try the others, now that I got the toughest ones out of the way!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 01:58 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I did Fusion Mix with Darby last night. Yes, she does chatter. I was too busy trying to follow what she was doing to really notice it but my DH asked me afterwards who that was since that voice was pretty annoying (his words) :-) I never preview or I might have noticed it.

That aside, this workout was tough for me---particularly the stability ball section. I had done almost all of the moves previously but not in succession in the same workout! This section was definitely the most challenging of the sections to me, and I did not do all of the reps with the ball. I put it aside and finished with just my body weight.

I also had some trouble figuring out what side I was working---it seemed that she said work the right leg but she worked the left, then in the next section she said work the right and she was working the right. It may be me, though, as I was really working hard and may have lost focus.

I wish there was some kind of warmup---it may have made the stability ball section easier---and the stretch wasn't really much considering the amount of work, and I am not and don't see that I will EVER be as flexible as she is, so even the stretch needed a modifier!

Overall I'm glad I got it. It gives me something to work toward, as I couldn't complete it as designed.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 02:40 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
If you can handle Dasha's chatter in Kettlebell Kickboxing, than I think you can deal with Darby. I notice Dasha's chatter more while doing her workouts. Maybe when I get more acclimated to this workout, than Darby's chatter will be more noticeable.
I can deal with Dasha - usually by turning the sound off. LOL. I am intending to turn the volume way down on these and play my own music at some point, also. I do think the form tips are great, though, so I definitely think they are worth listening to, at least the first couple of times through.

As an aside here, I will add that I am a naturally introverted person, so I find constant chatter mentally exhausting. It also distracts me from focusing on what I'm doing. However, if you're more extroverted, this sort of thing might make the workout feel more energizing to you. I sort of think that's why some instructors talk so much (interesting thread idea!).
Old 05-11-13, 05:07 PM  
TinaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I also had some trouble figuring out what side I was working---it seemed that she said work the right leg but she worked the left, then in the next section she said work the right and she was working the right. It may be me, though, as I was really working hard and may have lost focus.
No, I wasn't just you - I had the same problem doing Fusion Mix for the first time today!!

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 05:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have found -- for me anyway -- the way to deal with the non-mirror cueing is to just listen like I do for yoga. If I try to mimic what I see, I get messed up every single time, but if I just listen and do what the instructor says, it works. For me.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 08:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Okay so I just finished Tabata and Toning. I can't decide if it's harder than Fusion Mix or not, they are both tough. Again, I wish there was a bit more of a warm up. I really had to push myself through particularly in the beginning since I didn't feel "ready" to go so hard, but I'm sure proud that I made it!

I really like Francie as an instructor. Nice voice (had to mention that, since instructor voices have been a big topic of discussion here lately! ) and encouraging without being a drill sergeant. I did some of the tabatas at my own rate, since some moves were pretty fast, but it's something to work up to and besides, isn't it about working as hard as you can for the 20 seconds?

The stretch was a good one, and I like that she used a band for it. It was longer than Fusion Mix with Darby, and I felt that I needed it. I may very well do this stretch the next time I do Fusion with Darby.

Now I have a question---are people doing these every day or every other day with something else mixed in between? I'm thinking maybe I could have skipped a day in between FM and Tabata & Toning, since I'm pretty beat right now.

Oh, and I gotta say I love the tag "death by workout."

Last edited by cataddict; 05-11-13 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wanted to mention the tag...
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death by workout, dream body, flailing limbs, fun workouts, yippy chihuahua