Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-12, 07:51 PM  
beospenser

Jillian Body Revolution vs Firm Express

How would you compare both systems to each other? They seem similar in that they are both short 20 minute workout systems.
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 11:33 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I've only made it to workout 3 in Phase 1 of the Jillian workouts, but they don't seem as scattered or frantic as the Firms do. I like these workouts, even though I've never been a big Jillian fan. The Jillian workouts clock in at 30 minutes or a little more each.
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 01:34 AM  
ramonam

Jillian's are actually 30 minutes, if that makes a difference to the time-crunched.

I'm midway through JMBR and LOVE it. I feel that the movements are deliberate, that I can go as heavy as I'd like without worrying I'll hurt myself.

I do use the FE workouts occasionally when I have to have something short. Because they have always seemed so frantic to me, I use only light weights.

With FE, I've always felt they are trying to make the workouts seem more intense by talking really fast, some leads more than others. I found it really annoying at times.
ramonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 05:49 AM  
saffron

I'm biased towards Body Rev - I'm on Workout 4 and loving it. I have the Firm Express but only sampled a few of the workouts and didn't feel motivated enough to do a rotation.

Body Revolution:
- about 30mins each
- rotation is 6 days/week (for 13 weeks) - 4 weight workouts, 2 cardio
- weight workouts are designed as splits - front body/back body
- in the weight workouts there are 4 cardio intervals at 1min each
- straight-up athletic moves
- no choreography, nothing to remember, no chance of tripping over your feet
- she does 12-15 reps of most moves at a deliberate pace - no throwing or swinging the weights, you can go heavier and slower.
- there's a great cast of amazingly fit and good looking people ... eye-candy galore (helloooo David )
- the cast is mostly in sync but it doesn't feel overly choreographed
- Jillian will show modifications by having someone go faster (on cardio moves) or use heavier weights. Sometimes she'll show or tell you how to modify down
- Jillian walks around giving form pointers, joking with her peeps and motivating you - she's unscripted and natural
- there's a bit of whooping by the cast, sometimes they count down the last 10secs, but it's not annoying at all .....

Firm Express workouts are:
- 20 mins each
- choreographed routines, scripted lines
- fast moving almost frantic
- difficult to go heavy on some combination moves
- cardio intervals are 8secs with 12secs recovery
- designated modifier doesn't always modify
- whooping is high-pitched (hello Rebekah)
- rotation is one month 3x/week - 3 types of workouts - cardio / cardio-sculpt / sculpt ... all have cardio intervals

hth
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 11:23 AM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I think BR is what FE was supposed to be. It is a well rounded system with logical sequencing and a logical progression. FE is just a bunch of frantic workouts with no real
Logic or purpose.

I like a few of them, but I don't see a "system" in them.

LCC (Laura)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 06:27 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I agree with what others said, but to give a more positive spin to Firm Express (not that I disagree with what everybody said, cause it's all true ), I feel like JMBR is a strength-based circuit style system (supplemented by cardio workouts), while Firm Express is cardio-based and is supposed to be HIIT style. Even the "strength" workouts in FE are very cardio-based. I know it's scripted and all that (they are Firm workouts after all!) but I think they go by quickly, are fun, and they always get my heart rate WAY up.

So I think you could lose weight with either system; your cardio endurance would improve with FE while your metabolic rate and toning aesthetics would improve with JMBR.

I am currently about a third through JMBR and have never used FE as a system but have done a sampling of workouts (actually I think the two systems would work nicely together). I probably wouldn't do FE alone because my body simply requires heavier lifting on a regular basis.
Old 04-12-12, 09:12 AM  
3ks

I have both programs. I was only able to get through the first two FE dvds.

After Jillian's program, I will attempt to do FE in its entirety to see how it is. I like the concept, its just that the execution is kind of "not there."

Kiddy

Tags
body revolution, firm express, jillian michaels, the firm express kit