Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-11, 04:20 PM  
MARIKA

Paul Katami also has a clinic in his kb workouts which help alot if your new. I know what you mean about chucking it through the tv. DH bought a nice flat screen for our exercise room. Everytime i swing I can't help but imagine it flying into the tv,then me calling him to do some splaining!
Old 03-30-11, 04:26 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Paul Katami also has a clinic in his kb workouts which help alot if your new. I know what you mean about chucking it through the tv. DH bought a nice flat screen for our exercise room. Everytime i swing I can't help but imagine it flying into the tv,then me calling him to do some splaining!

i would highly recommend lauren brooks over paul katami... while i like his drills dvd... i think lauren's tutorial is much better! however, if money is an issue... paul's is only 20 vs lauren's at 40.... but lauren's really is that much better!

that was one of my fears in the past for not getting into KBs.... that and i had a dog that "worked out" with me (meaning she'd sleep while i did all the work!) sadly she's now at rainbow bridge.... of course i still have a mirror and tv that could end up... well... let's not talk about that!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 04:32 PM  
BriscF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Well, this has been a very informative thread. We just renovated our kitchen and I'm about to have another baby, so I'm thinking this might not be the right time for me to get into kettlebells.

Despite all the fabulous enabling by Rozy and others, I think I might table it until next year.

Thanks for all the input!
Actually, this would be the perfect time to start kettlebells. Someone mentioned Lauren Brooks' Baby Bells workout. She used kettlebells throughout her pregnancy and after. I think she filmed her vol. 2 dvd four months after her baby was born. Kettlebells was how she was able to get back in shape and look so good so fast. On her blog there are some old posts with pictures detailing her progress after the birth.

I didn't know about kettlebells when I was pregnant (18 years ago!) but I wish I did. I would have been better off. Heck, I wish I even knew about kettlebells 5 years ago. I would be so much further along.

But good luck with whatever you decide.
BriscF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 04:58 PM  
shortie

Quote:
Everytime i swing I can't help but imagine it flying into the tv,then me calling him to do some splaining!
I have that same nightmare . . .
On the intro to AOS Providence, Anthony has a spot that makes me laugh every time . . . he warns, "You WILL drop the kettlebell . . . you WILL drop the kettlebell" and it gets repeated about 8 times. He does a lot of "lighter than air" kettlebell moves, and if you're at home and get the angle wrong it could surely go through the TV set, a window, dent the wall . . . or if you're on the 2nd floor I imagine you could have some plaster raining down on someone below!
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 05:07 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscF View Post
Actually, this would be the perfect time to start kettlebells. Someone mentioned Lauren Brooks' Baby Bells workout. She used kettlebells throughout her pregnancy and after. I think she filmed her vol. 2 dvd four months after her baby was born. Kettlebells was how she was able to get back in shape and look so good so fast. On her blog there are some old posts with pictures detailing her progress after the birth.

I didn't know about kettlebells when I was pregnant (18 years ago!) but I wish I did. I would have been better off. Heck, I wish I even knew about kettlebells 5 years ago. I would be so much further along.

But good luck with whatever you decide.
Ack! Total enablement!!

And don't worry, Caligirl, I have heard from others that KBs are kind of addictive and get very expensive. I just really can't afford another high cost exercise habit. I was willing to consider it if I could get away with a cheap, $10 KB, but if I'm afraid I'll regret that purchase and end up spending too much...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:29 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

To the OP:

If you're more into the cardio effect, another one to look at is Angie Miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp. Like Paul's or Brook's workouts, you would want a 10 lb and no more than a 15 lb k'bell.

Sarah, Lisa, Anthony, etc are all great places to start. MC Sports has had Sarah's DVD's on clearance for $4.97 each plus 20% additional off... just a thought!

Wal-Mart also has site to store kettlebells, so you are not stuck with just the GoFit (Target) or Gold's Gym (Wal-Mart) 'bells. Sometimes their handles are r-o-u-g-h.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:36 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Actually, I think my DH would secretly like it if I crashed a KB into the TV. We have an old, huge behemoth of a TV in the living room where I workout, and I suspect he would like to replace it with a flat screen but can't justify it since the behemoth works just fine.

Thanks to all for the video recs. Maybe I'll do some more research over the next few months (while I'm breastfeeding constantly! It will give me something to do) and treat myself once we've recovered financially from the kitchen.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:58 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

I was just going to second what Gibbee said about the handle. I rushed out to buy a 30 pounder at Sports Authority. I didn't know enough about kbells at the time. I was so excited that I was even contemplating that weight.....well, the handle is very rough and I never use it! As someone suggested, the MBody kbells are well made and smooth. I have a few jFit which also have smooth handles.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:10 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Also try Play It Again Sports if you have one near you. They carry Body Solid and another brand that have very smooth handles.

If you find any brand of 'bell in a box, open it up and feel the handle. I don't care how goofy they think you are. They are YOUR hands. If they want to make a sale, they'll let you try it out, touch it, grasp the handle, etc.

Oh, and yes, Lauren is excellent as well! I forgot to include her in my list above.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 11:29 PM  
icebergslim

I am like Roxy. I started with a #13 and that is my lowest weight. Then 18#, 22#, 25#, #35. My first KB video was Sarah Lurie Iron Core Vol #1. I felt a good instructional dvd. Then I branched into Vol #2. Then Lauren Brooks. I fell in LOVE with her DVD, my DH was sick of it. Then AOS Providence. Now I have Skogg System, MB45, Steve Cotter, more Lauren, more Sarah, more AOS, Andrea DuCane, Brook Benten, Angie Miller, Amy Bento.....

Really, KBs really set a high bar for me to get the most bang for my time. Cardio/Strength and quick results. I now have Bob Harper's KBs vids which I find I really enjoy, along with Paul Katami. Both of these guys I use a lighter bell because their execution is faster for more of a cardio effect. The only KB dvd I got rid of was Jillian Michaels.

I am currently doing S90D but swing my bells at least twice a week for cardio effect. My next program after S90D is Skogg.
Looking forward to it.

The kettlebells I have are Perform Better, Muscle Driver and Adler.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, kettlebell beginner, kettlebells for beginners