Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-17, 01:45 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Do you have an altar? If so, what do use? Yep, I have a couple of crystal balls, singing bowl, a couple of goddess statues, chakra stones

Have you used a sage smudging ritual to cleanse the space? yep! we have several white sage plants in our garden

Do you have affirmations or prayers you say? not pre-meditation, I do my affirmations at night before I go to sleep (hoping for subliminal positivity, lol)

Do you use special blankets or cushions? nope, i just sit wherever, my weight bench, the sofa.....whatever is comfortable

How long do you meditate? depends on the theme for the month....this month I'm doing Raviana's prosperity breath meditation for 5 or so minutes

Are there favorite yoga videos, poses, or breathing exercises that you use as part of your ritual? I adore using Raviana's meditations, whatever looks good for the month. February will be the 5/5/5 meditation (from Yoga Bliss Hips)

Any books, dvds, or websites you can recommend? Ravi and Ana's Meditations dvd is great, I also use Rod Stryker's stuff on occasion, especially 3 meditations to live by. Also, there's an Awesome podcast that I used to use regularly that I'm thinking of revisiting....great meditations. meditationoasis.com
Old 01-30-17, 02:11 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Thanks Laura, I hadn't thought about using a candle wax warmer.

Thanks Betsy, I added both of those nidra cd's to my wish list and after reading Dr. Beth's review on Yoga for Longevity I purchased a copy.
I have had YfL for years. I got it when it was on VHS and then on DVD. Oldie but greatie!

Let me know if you acquire the CDs I mentioned. They never fail to make me feel wonderful.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 01-30-17 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 05:06 PM  
videofit

I do this first one every night (not the chanting). Hard time understanding the accent but he demos the moves which are just bending and breathing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjw...Q&spfreload=10

Then I do this step, following by meditation on my own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7chqauQIuY&t=623s
Old 01-30-17, 09:31 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Do you have an altar? If so, what do use? Candles, incense, crystals, singing bowl, budda or goddess statue, etc.?
Have you used a sage smudging ritual to cleanse the space?
Do you have affirmations or prayers you say?
Do you use special blankets or cushions?
How long do you meditate?
Are there favorite yoga videos, poses, or breathing exercises that you use as part of your ritual?
Any books, dvds, or websites you can recommend?

Thanks
Last year was really stressful & by December & January I was totally burned out. I realized that I need a more structured self-care routine.

I've been getting up extra early and writing or doing art in my journal. I usually light incense and/or candle, do tarot & exercise before starting my work day. I have been sticking to kundalini as my main & other stuff as add ons, because KY is so healing for me now.

One thing that has really soothed my soul is the natural scenery videos on youtube & a few on Netflix called "Moving Art". I especially love the winter ones. And the "Fireplace for Your Home", I swear I can feel the heat

WINTER SCENES
https://youtu.be/gbrkMDkHRqc

https://youtu.be/I6Tj8j4m4ds

4K TIME LAPSE NATURAL SCENES
https://youtu.be/0wCC3aLXdOw

I play these on my tv, especially when I am journaling. Some have music or I'll turn it down & just watch it quietly. They really help set the mood quickly. I have been thinking about doing a visualization/meditation where I "put" (visualize) myself in the natural scene video & imagine what gifts of wisdom may be there for me.

My theme for this year is "Reclaiming my inner self & magic". I will be experimenting with what makes me feel good & what will help me to heal emotionally & spiritually.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 12:59 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Do you have an altar? If so, what do use? Candles, incense, crystals, singing bowl, budda or goddess statue, etc.?
No.
Quote:
Have you used a sage smudging ritual to cleanse the space?
No, but I once used one to cover up the stale dog smell in the old rental I live in.
Quote:
Do you have affirmations or prayers you say?
Sometimes I do affirmations. Sometimes I don't.
Quote:
Do you use special blankets or cushions?
I use an Ikea floor cushion. I also use a shawl wrap thing while meditating. However, these aren't dedicated items. I use the shawl and lean against the cushions while watching TV too. I have used all kinds of cushions at a retreat, and this was just what worked best for me. However, sometimes I just meditate on my bed, especially if its cold and the house hasn't warmed up yet.
Quote:
How long do you meditate?
I meditation anywhere between 1 and 60 minutes between 0 and three times a day. Currently it is 1-10 minutes in the morning. I'm really happy if I can do 20 minute 2x/day.
Quote:
Are there favorite yoga videos, poses, or breathing exercises that you use as part of your ritual?
No, but Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Beginner is a perfect meditation in itself.
Quote:
Any books, dvds, or websites you can recommend?
1) Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Beginner (see above).
2) Erich Schiffmann's book Moving into Stillness is really good. It used to be online with everything but the asanas, but the best I can find now is this link: (Freedom-style Yoga Book Chapters), but it looks like it doesn't have all the chapters. I think the book is worth it but it takes a while to settle in and read it.
3) I do the meditation that Pema Chodron teaches in her book Awakening Loving-Kindness. The basic instruction is to follow just the outbreath. Do it with gentleness, precision, and letting go. Then you wait for the next outbreath (obviously while you are taking an inbreath.) I highly recommend this meditation, and this book. In addition to this instruction, it has some troubleshooting and some excellent dhamma. Also, it's an easy read because she is a really good writer. (A L-K is an abridged version of Wisdom of No Escape, and drops four chapters which are best left out. However, if you wanted to spend a little more, the "Shambhala Library" hardcover is worth it. It fits really nicely in your hand, which is handy especially if you want to read in bed.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 08:16 AM  
Suzan66

As long as it's quiet and my room is warm I am good. My faves are Boho Beautiful You Tube Channel ones.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 04:04 PM  
ardnas

I have a yoga studio/fitness room in my basement where I do most meditation & yoga. It contains a 3' Buddha & some other smaller ones both on the wall and on the entertainment center, as well as some hung lotus painted canvases, a lotus metal sculpture, gong, malas, cushions, and a decorative ceramic tart warmer that fits the décor (I like to use a specific fragrance that is a mix of apple, mint, & cucumber -smells fresh and uplifting without being overpowering). Sometimes I do meditations via DVD, others via CD upstairs in my bedroom = Yoga Nidra, body scans, or guided meditations. The longest I've meditated has been an hour, the shortest a few minutes. I don't have a ritual, I go by how much time I have and what mood I am in. My favorite CD is Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided Deep Relaxation, favorite DVDs would be the Mantra series from Maya Fiennes & the Meditation for Beginners & Beyond DVD from Raviana. Often I will do Japa Mala using a wrist mala & suggested mantra from Japa Mala Beads.
Old 01-31-17, 11:26 PM  
restlessnative

Penny. Check out the insighttimer app. It's free and it's got something for everyone. there are guided mediations with and without vocal instruction. I use them occasionally but find their timer option a good fit for me. I can set a timer with silence, chant or other background. Sounds, like chimes, can be placed throughout or only at end.
I use this daily and am currently sort of minimalist in my meditation.

Enjoy your practice.

Last edited by restlessnative; 01-31-17 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Trying to type on my phone wasn't very successful.
restlessnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 09:37 AM  
mle777

My car I use a guided meditation from the Calm app each morning when I get to work. They're only three minutes each. I turn off my car, turn on a guided meditation, close my eyes, meditate for three minutes, and then head into work. I've had a much better attitude since doing this

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 08:16 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation, ritual