Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-14, 11:00 AM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
+1

Many a discussion thread here has been (rightfully) shut down because it was being used to talk about people's bodies in damaging ways.

The pressure to conform to particular (impossible) physical standards is immense, and everywhere.

I visit VF because the focus is on the workouts, not passing judgement on aspects of someone's physique, or critiquing their (imagined) character flaws.
Quite right, I apologise once more and to anyone I've offended. Shall not happen again.
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 11:13 AM  
koolio

Well rather annoyingly I cannot find Strong Stride in a digital copy which would mean waiting for a week or so to get the DVD from States (it is available to order from the UK).

Teresa Tapp's Lower Body Tempo workout - Thanks Demeris I'll add this to the list I'm going to check out, sounds a little like exercise Yoga? So I'll have to buy the basic workout first? I had a day off today so could do searching, not sure I will have so much time tomorrow, but I will keep everyone posted.
Old 10-08-14, 02:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Kathy Smith Functionally Fit Lower Body Firming - Ok but I don't want to be functionally fit!
based on your comments about standing leg lifts for other videos, this might interest you. don't let the title fool you with the word "functionally" in it.

i found this video to be ahead of its time, with standing barre-esque moves. you won't need a barre to do it, though. all balance moves, elongating, and challenging. you will feel it during and definitely after.

kathy is very professional in this one and the cast is competent as well.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 02:09 PM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
based on your comments about standing leg lifts for other videos, this might interest you. don't let the title fool you with the word "functionally" in it.

i found this video to be ahead of its time, with standing barre-esque moves. you won't need a barre to do it, though. all balance moves, elongating, and challenging. you will feel it during and definitely after.

kathy is very professional in this one and the cast is competent as well.
Thanks bzar I only watched through the preview vids and read up about it. I'll have another look at it then.
Old 10-08-14, 04:26 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Bodystrikes 2 - way to complex like a complex kicking routine, although it is clearly good, I just want simplicity! Also Ilaria terrifies me (she would literally snap me like a twig)..
You're funny. Btw, I never heard of "Balls of steel" before.

Another one that came to my mind is Killer Buns and Thighs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmDFer-LrVI it uses some light hand weights, but you could do it with no weights I guess; there are unweighted exercises as well, and you get three workouts on one Dvd, it could a good deal, althought some people don't like Jillian as instructor, I find that I enjoy her workouts.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 07:05 PM  
Tugger31

Not sure if it's sold separately or not but Leaner Legs from Cathe's Cross Train Express series can be done without weights. It's straight forward.

Some great barre workouts have leg raises like you describe. My favs are Cathe's Turbo Barre which is chaptered to do the sections you want and Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre plus Abs & Arms. (I avoided this one for awhile b/c I didnt like the title but glad I bought it!)

I also agree with looking at Tracy Effinger's Squeeze workouts.

Koolio, you're a finicky fellow!! Hoping you find the perfect workout for you. I'm having fun following along on your quest!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 01:59 AM  
koolio

Quote:
Koolio, you're a finicky fellow!! Hoping you find the perfect workout for you. I'm having fun following along on your quest!
I know and do apologise!

Well I came down with man flu, so no exercise for me!

I have been checking out Sylwia Wiesenbergs Tonique stuff as recommended by Helen S (thank you btw). I must say I'm impressed by her (Sylwia is an amazing woman dropping a high salary white collar job in finance for fitness), and I realise that her workouts mixing cardio with reps is indeed correct for weight loss and toning (I remember a lot of this in amateur gymnastics when I was younger).

So when I get better I think I'm going to start with downloading her Tonique premier and see where it goes (I've got buns of steel also in the pipeline).

It won't be the first time I've come across excellence regarding physical conditioning originating in Poland, the last one was Thomas Kurz's book Stretching scientifically, truly the bible for side splits and flexibility, I spent 2 years and one injury trying to achieve the full side splits, after reading that book it only took me 2 months to hit the floor!

P.S. I should mention that there are some very good programs out there and just because I haven't chosen to go with them doesn't mean they aren't very good, there is just so much choice! For example I tried the free Suzanne Bowen fitness trial and I really liked it and the online concept, I think it's something I'm going to recommend for my mother as I'd like to get her into video fitness.
Old 10-10-14, 08:05 AM  
desie

Hi koolio, just thought I would mention that Sylwia is sweet, motivating, and excellent at narrating her own dvds, Cardiomat is a good dvd to get a feeling for her personality. For her first dvd, Tonique Premier, she does not narrate the workout, Orbitz girl does the voice over. And the ad-lib stuff is a bit over the top - "you will look delicious, ask your partner what he thinks", etc. The workout is excellent, and I find the voiceover charming and goofy and it even helps to hear "you're beautiful", but the first few times I was too embarrassed by 'the cheese factor' to let any family members overhear the soundtrack. And the Orbitz girl is oblivious to the idea that men might be using the dvd.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 08:48 AM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
Hi koolio, just thought I would mention that Sylwia is sweet, motivating, and excellent at narrating her own dvds, Cardiomat is a good dvd to get a feeling for her personality. For her first dvd, Tonique Premier, she does not narrate the workout, Orbitz girl does the voice over. And the ad-lib stuff is a bit over the top - "you will look delicious, ask your partner what he thinks", etc. The workout is excellent, and I find the voiceover charming and goofy and it even helps to hear "you're beautiful", but the first few times I was too embarrassed by 'the cheese factor' to let any family members overhear the soundtrack. And the Orbitz girl is oblivious to the idea that men might be using the dvd.
Oh my thank you for the fore warning

I better not get caught by anyone with this one on! Might have some serious explaining to do!

I haven't bought it yet but perhaps then I should try one of her other programs then rather than the Premier one. I like the idea of high reps mixed with cardio.

That's why I like a dry production and a cheap set is no problem either, in fact if someone just said do X amount of pushups and counted for me then threw me into the next exercise that would be perfect, I require no encouragement (which is why I hate when they do it even in Gymabstics!). I always try to push myself it's just when I train on my own I have a tendency to take breaks that are too long and/or spend too long deciding whats next, both often lead to day dreaming before I have to kick myself back into action.
Old 10-10-14, 09:41 AM  
desie

Tonique Summer Series link: try these mini-workouts from Sylwia:
http://www.forum.videofitness.com/sh...d.php?t=204501

Some of the links are broken now, but you can still play/download all 7 workouts at this time. (I play them one after the other, but in my preferred order: a-b-c-d-e-f and I don't do the arms with tubing workout.)

First Workout (d20 minutes: 15 handskness 5 situps)

Second workout (a10 minutes standing)

3rd workout (arms with tubing, 14 minutes)

Workout 4 for non-FB peeps(link no longer works?)
FB link to 4th workout (b10 minutes hands and knees energetic)

Workout 5 (c15 minutes standing burpee finish,music cuts out to silence at minute 6:25, need to have your own music playlist ready to go in another window)

Workout 6 (e14 minutes squats)
FB Link (link no longer works?)

Workout 7 for non-FB peeps (f6 minutes v-situps)
FB Link (link no longer works?)
desie is offline   Reply With Quote