getting rid of his disks asap
Old 05-25-15, 09:12 AM  
sophiesmom

Deleted.
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 09:29 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I didn't know he was claiming to be a SEAL. But someone would have revealed him at some point, just like Bill Cosby or Josh Duggar couldn't run and hide forever, and he needs to man up and accept the consequences. Even if it means prosecution under the Stolen Valor Act.

As for the assault, he did his time and seems to be rehabilitated. I'm more concerned that being ex-military seems to be a bigger selling point for a fitness instructor than actual fitness expertise.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 09:30 AM  
PhyllisG

Really? Scares you more than someone who repeatedly choked someone into unconsciousness?
I would imagine the Seals are an exclusive group who worked very hard to become a member and who always had each other's back in very dangerous circumstances. Then you see someone claiming to be a Seal to make money. He wasn't just going around bragging he was using this lie to enrich himself.
Why not call him out? Probably the only reason he fessed up.
He choked this guy as payback for identifying him! It wasn't just a brawl he was involved in, it was an assault for revenge. He is lucky the guy regained consciousness or he would be in jail for murder and not out there selling exercise programs.
Sorry I found his behavior reprehensible and criminal.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 09:32 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Really? Scares you more than someone who repeatedly choked someone into unconsciousness?
I would imagine the Seals are an exclusive group who worked very hard to become a member and who always had each other's back in very dangerous circumstances. Then you see someone claiming to be a Seal to make money. He wasn't just going around bragging he was using this lie to enrich himself.
He choked this guy as payback for identifying him! It wasn't just a brawl he was involved in, it was an assault for revenge. He is lucky the guy regained consciousness or he would be in jail for murder and not out there selling exercise programs.
^
^
^
that
Old 05-25-15, 09:36 AM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Honestly, I missed that first part, yikes! Need to read more carefully.And you're right. The Ex-seal who actually got that honor deserves to be angry.
It takes away from those who sacrificed their lives.
Didnt mean to upset anyone!

I don't understand how the producers put that info on the marketing materials, if dude didn't tell them the lie in the first place--then act all surprised
KWIM?
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 10:10 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I searched VF (love that everything is archived!) and this is from one of his early emails to a VFer:

Quote:
I've been swinging bells for over 20 years. There is no one better. Prior to my pursuit in the fitness world I was Special Ops in the military, where being in peak physical condition was imperative. Kettlebells has been and still is my tool of choice. My following is large and vast, with over 30,000 fans around the world.
Wow. Well, he should just go back to claiming he's the world's greatest kettlebell instructor, since his military "career" seems to be over.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 10:25 AM  
naturallove

It's also worth noting that the retired SEAL who exposed Skogg has also participated in exposing an imposter and career criminal who bilked investors out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and could have put people's lives at risk. I'm not calling Don Shipley a saint, but I'm really disturbed at the false equivalences expressed in this thread.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/exposing-na...ry?id=21403794
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 10:37 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

That's very disappointing and disturbing. Disappointing that Skogg couldn't just bill himself as "ex-military" if he thinks that's a selling point; disappointing that he blames the marketers for perpetuating a lie when he was the one who put it out there in the first place; and very disturbing about his violent past.
Old 05-25-15, 10:51 AM  
Eibhinn

I think lying about having been a Seal is obviously not okay, but I also have always found it really weird that people make it their life's work to travel around the country exposing and humiliating people who falsely claim to have been a Seal. Michael Skogg's admission of that assault is terrifying, and likely to impact my enjoyment of his workouts. On the other hand, I visited the website of the guy who exposed him, and the comments there are littered with people actively threatening violence against Michael Skogg for having embellished his account of his military service. In my opinion, no one comes across well in this whole situation.

I've also always found it weird when past military experience is used to market fitness routines.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor behaving badly, liars, michael skogg, navy seal, skogg, special ops