Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-15, 11:53 AM  
Lilypad

Tired of Working out at home...

Does anyone ever get bored or tired working out at home? I feel like this is happening to me. Like you all, I have tons of DVD's/systems at home. Dumbells, barbells, yoga mats, weighted vest etc etc. Sometimes too much of a good thing could be a bad thing. Does that make sense to you all? I feel like I have so much to chose from that I can't stick to one thing. It's also becoming harder and harder to get my workouts in at home. With the 2 kids running around yelling and playing and fighting it becomes more stressful instead of destressing. I normally would do it in the AM b4 I go to work and that means waking up at 4am working out by 430 out the house by 530am. I start at 6am but my sleep has been suffering lately. I've become a light sleeper and anything wakes me up. I feel I need to sleep a little more so that's why I want to stop the AM workouts.
I do have a membership to the gym which I never use and I also have access to the gym at work. It's a no brainer right???
I guess I just needed to vent.
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 12:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I go through phases like that where I just want to walk outdoors, go to yoga classes and go exercise at the gym instead of to videos. I keep all my home stuff though, because sooner or later I'll vacillate back to home workouts.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 12:13 PM  
Debbie

I could have wrote this post myself!! I had a gym membership that I was never using and it was a good monthly fee, so I signed it over to my husband. The thing is when I would try to go to the gym in the evenings instead of getting up at the crack of dawn to workout at home, it was too tough to schedule between my husband and 2 kids schedules. As much as I would love the 'me' time to get out of the house and workout on my own...it's just not in the cards for the next 10 years! I guess I have no good advice but wanted to chime in to say you are not alone!
Old 05-12-15, 12:31 PM  
Lilypad

I will never give up my home gym because I really love all my videos too but I guess I just need a change. My 2 girls are 5 & 10 you would think they would be okay on their own but with all the interruptions between the both of them I just wind up getting fustrated and feeling like I didn't get in a good workout. So I think I will go to the gym for awhile. Thanks for listening ladies! One day I will be able to workout at home for 2 hours if I want.
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 12:41 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

It happens to me occasionnally. Many studios have special offer for unlimited classes for 1 month so when I get bored with home workouts I like to select one of those and go as much as I can. It's a great way to try new things and to get out of my comfort zone. After a month I usually miss my workouts and I go back to them refreshed and re-energized.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 01:03 PM  
desie

I can relate on the kids in the room. If they are with me, then I do a workout that is moderate intensity that I know fairly well. I also try to give them something while I'm working out to keep them quiet and content. They love screen time as a treat. But I prefer to really zone out in the house by myself and do an intense workout.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 05:59 AM  
Jeanne Marie

After years (and years) of doing my DVD workouts at home, I made a change last year. A dear friend of mine opened a personal training facility. She does personal training and has a daily interval class. I started training with her and doing the class every evening. I still do DVDs once in a while (maybe once a week), but the majority of my working out is now at her gym.

I have seen some pretty good changes. I have more definition in my arms, back and shoulders. I am not doing that much different than I was with my DVDs, but I think I am being challenged more because she is there with me. Not sure. I do enjoy it immensely. I like the companionship of working out together. It does take more of my time because I have to drive to town now, but it works out just fine for me.

The interval classes have really become a favorite time of my day. I've enjoyed the competitiveness of everyone in the class and forming new friendships with the class participants. We work hard and everybody inspires everybody else!

It wouldn't have worked for me at any other time of my life, but now I have the time and the means to do it this way.
Old 05-13-15, 07:26 AM  
TinierTina

Ignore the loud voices and do what you can ..

I miss classes.
I never had taken outside, live classes very frequently
Cannot afford classes anymore, and the free ones are geographically inconvenient to me.
I look at my bank account.
It lives in a very class-sparse zone.

I suck it up, doing whatever's necessary.

I simulate the studio, getting the space really clean first. Fresh water bottle. Workout clothes. No watching TV if possible. Pretend there is no telephone. (I'd replaced one that had a harsher, more insistent ring ...)

Yeah, I'd gone through all that: the unused gym membership—sometimes two gyms at a time (geography) ... I've had family members leaning on me at times, too much.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 07:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
After years (and years) of doing my DVD workouts at home, I made a change last year. A dear friend of mine opened a personal training facility. She does personal training and has a daily interval class. I started training with her and doing the class every evening. I still do DVDs once in a while (maybe once a week), but the majority of my working out is now at her gym.

I have seen some pretty good changes. I have more definition in my arms, back and shoulders. I am not doing that much different than I was with my DVDs, but I think I am being challenged more because she is there with me. Not sure. I do enjoy it immensely. I like the companionship of working out together. It does take more of my time because I have to drive to town now, but it works out just fine for me.

The interval classes have really become a favorite time of my day. I've enjoyed the competitiveness of everyone in the class and forming new friendships with the class participants. We work hard and everybody inspires everybody else!

It wouldn't have worked for me at any other time of my life, but now I have the time and the means to do it this way.
I was a home exerciser for... goodness... 20+ years until last fall. My kids are finally both in school. One is just in preschool, so I don't have loads of time, but it's the first time in pretty much my whole life that I had time and some money to spend on classes! So I started going to live barre classes regularly.

I loved it for all the reasons that Jeanne Marie mentions. I loved the additional challenge of having an instructor correcting my form and I was really inspired by some of the other women in the class. Not just the badasses, but some other women who were working around their own particular limitations and getting done. I also loved that it was a distraction-free zone--no kids, no phone, no dishes in the sink needing to be ignored so I could workout. It really was a treat to go to the studio!

However, I was finding I was really missing my home workouts. I've been on hiatus at the studio since March because of my shoulder injury, and wow... I don't even think I realized how much time going to class was eating out of my day. I'm getting so much more done without the bite of travel time.

I also think I might have pushed myself more than I should have in class. I'm more likely to give myself a break if no one is watching, and at this season of my life, that's a good thing. And I enjoy the variety of workouts that my (vast!) collection allows me at home.

I'm finding myself reluctant to reactivate my membership at the barre studio. I need to give them 30 days notice before I fully cancel my auto-renewing membership, so I have to go back at some point. I do enjoy the classes very much, but I won't be as sorry as I would have thought once I do cancel.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 07:48 AM  
desie

My kids can be in the room with me and be content because they are so absorbed with Lego or making paper airplanes, sometimes a board game keeps them occupied (they really like Monopoly, there are versions for younger kids). They also liked making elastic bracelets for a time.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote