Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 08-04-05, 04:23 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearfmw
Thanks so much for the excellent rotation advice. My question is where does a workout like the Bar Method fit in? It's definitely not cardio, and it works the muscles hard, but without any weights. Would you recommend substituting this kind of workout for the weight-training or just adding it on to some other day?

Thanks!
I've never done the Bar Method, but I have done Pilates. I assume that they would be similar in that they are both "strength work without weights" kind of workouts. When I was doign Pilates quite a bit, I counted it as strength work and subbed it for a weighted workout. If that works for you, do that. It's option #1.

The problem I ran into is that I lost quite a bit of strength when I did that. When/if I start to do more, I may play with looking at one of Joanna's rotations that has Pilates, yoga type workouts as well as strenght. You could try substituting the Bar Method for "Pilates, yoga" type workouts on one of her rotations. That's option #2.

There's really no "right" answer, but, rather, it depends on what works for you. So, play with different options and see what your body responds to. If you want more specifics, I would try one rotation and sub Bar Method for strength work. Then, I would try maybe some form of Rotation #4 and sub the Bar Method for pilates, yoga workouts.

Let us know what you think and what you find works for you! You can't be the only person with that question. Lots of people have asked over the years how to classify or use workouts like the Bar Method, Lotte Berk, etc.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 11:19 PM  
Katharine

Another rotation option is to split up the upper body into push/pull muscle groups, such as:
1-Lower body
2-Cardio (floor, if your legs have DOMS)
3-Chest & Triceps
4-Cardio
5-Back & Biceps
6-Cardio, yoga, etc.
7-rest

I try to put some time between back and legs workouts, since deadlifts and bent over rows work the hamstrings, lower body and lats. This way the muscles have sufficient time to recover before getting them again.

<b>Periodization</b> is very important: if you do the same fitness program week in and week out, your body will adapt to the (positive) stress and you'll plateau. It's pretty likely boredowm will set in too. On a regular basis, one should mix up the routine for a week or so: try doing only weight & cardio interval workouts with heavy weights, change to low weights/high reps, try changing the order in which you lift weights, every day do one body part (shoulders only, back only, upper leg only, etc.) plus some cardio. Whatever to shake things up.

<b>Question:</b> does anyone know how often to periodize? I had planned to do two weeks of Cathe's GS, then one week of a different workout (total body), followed by two weeks of PS, etc. etc. Two weeks for body parts, one week for total body; switching the body part workouts so I re-do each workout once ever 6 weeks. This week I had planned to do total body workouts (Push-Pull) but I had such DOMS in my biceps and hamstrings I couldn't do a total body workout and had to stay with body part workouts while recovering. I took this as a sign that I was still making gains in the GS workout and not to rotate to a new workout yet. Right? Wrong? How often should we periodize?
Old 10-15-05, 05:56 AM  
little bird

Katherine, I am glad you asked this question.....

I was just wondering the same thing about periodization. I am not really a rotation person but can manage about 5 weeks before I get sick of doing the same thing. I am getting good results, I am losing one pound per week. I want to keep up the weight loss. I was just trying to figure out if I should change my rotation every 3,4 or 5 weeks.

Sorry, I don't have the answer but I signed onto this thread because I am looking for that answer too.
Laverne
little bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 11:21 PM  
Katharine

Hey Laverne, let's see if anyone has advice... and congrats on your success! I'm losing about 1lb per week too.
Old 10-17-05, 04:26 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Katharine - I'm afraid your question is buried in an old topic and people who could answer it aren't seeing it. It would be a great topic for the General Discussion. I'd suggest starting a new topic in the GD with your post with the question.

I tried doing a search. "Periodization" is too long of a search term. There was a topic on periodization, but when I went back to get it again, it won't come up! I know there's info out on the board, but I can't get to it at this point.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 09:07 AM  
Katharine

Thanks Laura! I'll open up a thread now.
Old 10-24-05, 04:17 PM  
Stasi

I work out about an hour and a half 5 days a week, so I rotate upper/lower body and do about an hour of cardio every day, eg:

Monday: Lower Body, Abs & Cardio
Tuesday: Upper Body, Abs & Cardio
Wednesday: Lower Body, Abs & Cardio
Thuersday: Upper Body, Abs & Cardio
Friday: Lower Body, Abs & Cardio
Saturday and Sunday: Rest

This is extremelly easy and I do not need to think about it at all...
Old 01-25-06, 01:41 PM  
MamaMel

Help with rotations??????????

I am looking for help with rotations. I keep going back and forth between which is a better idea- the slim in 6 theory or to rest a day between? Any suggestions on that aspect? The tapes I have to work with are Slim in 6 series, Firm (body sculpt, cardio sculpt) Karen voight burn and firm, Leslie Sansone Walk and Jog, Prevention Walk your way slim, and Firm Legs, Buns and Thighs. Any suggestions on a good rotation and does anyone have an opinion on the whole Slim in 6 theory of working every day? Thank you so much for your time and advice.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 08:48 AM  
DejaDeb

Timely Advice

I have about 50 or so workouts now and usually just grab whatever strikes me first (ow! ), and I've read with great interest the posts by folks who've been doing this or that rotation .. but they're usually talking about Cathe or P90X or some other types of "kill-me-now" workouts that I just haven't worked up to (and not really sure I want to! )

Still, I've wondered if I could utilize the workouts I DO have into a more effective routine. I've been sorta/kinda following a pattern of cardio/strength/cardio/strength/cardio, but thought -- maybe there's some better way? So I thought I'd do a search and see if there were any pointers on how to develop a personalized rotation based on workouts one has in one's possession.

EUREKA! I have found it! Thanks, Joanna, for this very helpful advice that CONTINUES to assist vidiots looking to incorporate some organization into their workout routines and fitness goals! ~ Debbie
Old 07-09-07, 09:13 AM  
Stasi

about 2 yrs later

I've posted my rotation a year and a half ago, which use to be an alternation of lower/upper body and about an hour of cardio (see above). Since then I have changed my routine, and I have noticed a HUGE improvement. My overall weight went up; however, I’m so much leaner and firmer. (my size is still the same). You can see my muscle definitions – my arms, my legs, and abs. (p.s. I have NOT changed my diet)
Here is what I do now:

Monday – legs, abs, and 45 min cardio
Tuesday – arms, abs, and 45 min cardio
Wednesday – 45 min cardio
Thursday – shoulders, abs and 45 min of cardio
Friday – back, abs and 45 min cardio

I found this routine is much more beneficial, for following reasons:
1) muscles have enough time to recover and therefore get stronger
2) by concentration on one muscle group a day – you work out that muscle group at lot harder
3) too much cardio burns your muscle mass… so stick with reasonable cardio

Tags
faq, rotation