Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 09-08-04, 05:54 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

And...

There's FIRM: Power Yoga. I don't think you'll see this in the Yoga Check-In. LOL!

Still, many folks like its non-spiritual ambience. I'd rate it intermediate because: there aren't enough form pointers, she does some strenouous poses, and you can hardly see the background exerciser showing modifications.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 05:57 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33
I don't think I really trust this site as a source of yoga information. They list hatha yoga as a separate category from Bikram, Ashtanga, power and Kundalini. All physical yoga (as in, the sort one would do with a video) IS hatha yoga. Some schools that teach power or Ashtanga will refer to their non-power classes as "hatha" classes, but that seems to be a change in use of the term (and I think we should discourage it).
I agree Kimberly -- I think it's sloppy thinking to call non-power classes hatha. This site didn't impress me anyway -- they have very few videos and very few styles are differentiated. I've looked at it in the past and it doesn't seem to ever grow beyond rudimentary.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 06:22 PM  
deanne
VF Supporter

Looks like a what is intermediate? what is advanced? issue soon!

Maybe an intermediate and advanced intermediate? I can't see how Erich's Inversions DVD could possibly be not at least an advanced intermediate, but at the same time, I don't think YogaX is advanced, but more intermediate in terms of strength & experience needed, tho it has backbends.

Maybe?
Intermediate (workout regularly, have done a little yoga and are familiar with some poses)

Advanced Intermediate (regular yoga practice, including backbends and beginning inversions)

Advanced (have a strong yoga practice, have attended live classes and can handle inversions & arm balances)
Are the Yoga Journal Step by Steps listed here? They should be added in different beginner/intermediate catagories.

Deanne
deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 06:26 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
There's FIRM: Power Yoga. I don't think you'll see this in the Yoga Check-In. LOL!
Hey Alta! I checked in with it last week Actually I liked it, though I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. However, they do have someone showing modifications. For someone that's somewhat familiar with yoga videos it's a nice 30 minute routine.
Old 09-08-04, 06:55 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S.
Hey Alta! I checked in with it last week Actually I liked it, though I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. However, they do have someone showing modifications.
Loretta - I'm guilty of not lurking every week.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 06:57 PM  
klwgriffin

WOW - That is so incredibly helpful!! I agree that a lot of people probably try the wrong yoga workout first and get discouraged. I was lucky enough to take a class in college, as part of my ... ahem ... well-rounded education (I shouldn't joke about that - it was more valuable than some of the others!), or I would have been totally turned off by my first purchase.

Quote:
But on my own personal "don't bother" list goes Yoga On The Ball. As sweet as Sarah Ivanhoe is....
I really appreciate that - just bought a stability ball and have been eyeing that one!

Also, thanks to everyone who's updating the list.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 04:54 PM  
Shoe Lover

bumpin the thread. Now it has been awhile. Would love to hear if there are any new yoga videos that people are excited about! So what's new that you love.
Shoe Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 10:38 PM  
blue_hydrangea

Yoga Therapy Rx DVDs

I recently discovered Yoga Therapy Rx DVDs with Larry Payne, and I love them! They're therapeutic, gentle and relaxing Yoga practices. Most of the DVDs are filmed outdoors and the music is soothing. They're heaven-sent on days when my muscles are tired and sore. I think that they're great for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. They're basic enough that a beginner should be able to follow along without difficulty, and they're relaxing practices that the advanced yogini/yogi can enjoy.

For anyone interested, there are video clips and more info on them at http://www.samata.com/

ETA: a bonus to these DVDs is that they each contain MP3 audio versions of the Yoga practice that can be downloaded onto an iPod or the computer.
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 04:43 PM  
Shoe Lover

Interesting to hear that someone has developed this. I actually have mix feelings about delving into any yoga on video or DVD because I had some serious back injuries working with a yoga instructor a few years ago.

What kinds of pains do these tapes seem to help with? My issue is lower back. . .
Shoe Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 06:19 PM  
blue_hydrangea

I like Common Lower Back Problems DVD. I don't have any back injuries; I use this DVD to relieve tired, sore (but not painful) back muscles. There's a full 30-minute practice and then a 15-minute condensed version of the full practice. It's very gentle and soothing. The pace is relaxing and the feeling is therapeutic.

I also bought some of their other DVDs--Common Upper Back & Neck Problems, Women's Health, Immune Booster & General Conditioning Level 1 and these are also soothing and therapeutic. But again, I don't have any back/neck injuries or immune problems. I just really enjoy using these DVDs for a relaxing Yoga practice.
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorites, yoga, yoga audios, yoga for beginners