Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-15, 10:30 PM  
Yelly

Do You Sometimes Wish There Were Less Workout Options?

Lately I've been feeling completely overwhelmed by the information overload in the fitness world. Especially since going digital, I feel like I have way too many workouts to choose from. Although that sounds like a good thing for a vidiot, I'm finding it's making it really difficult to actually get started with a workout, since I'm overwhelmed with choices. Some streaming sites have literally hundreds (if not thousands) of workouts to choose from, and it's causing me major analysis paralysis. I know I need to just create a workout rotation and stick to it, but I'm really bad at following those because I never know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next.

I guess I'm just venting here, and I'm curious if others of you feel the same way, especially if you're into streaming? What do you guys do when your attention is drawn in so many directions? Do any of you have any tricks as to how to focus on just one thing?
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 10:39 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I've been at this vidiot business for a very long time, and the last few years I've bought very little, but have downloaded/streamed a good many workouts.

I know there's a lot of variety out there, but I'm fairly picky and don't cast my net too very wide, unless I happen to hear at VF about something that sounds interesting. I have all my beloved DVDs and even VHS tapes. Among online offerings I stick fairly much with Jessica Smith, Hamelin D'Abell, Christi Taylor's individual song uploads, and my Czechoslovakian Zumba team I also have some 5+ year old downloads that I still use.

Don't know the answer, but that works for me. Find something you like and stick with it?

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 10:48 PM  
Sissy B

Do You Sometimes Wish There Were Less Workout Options?

In a word - yes.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 10:55 PM  
Helen

Too much choice is a real phenomenon that decreases satisfaction. Where there are few choices, it's relatively easy to be certain that we've made the best choice possible, but when one almost needs a Ph.D. to determine the best choice, there is always lingering doubt if the best choice was made - hence the dissatisfaction component of an abundance of options. The same is true of many commodities - white goods, at the supermarket, clothing, services, .....

I solve the problem by having templates set up in the computer with criteria. It spits out just 3-4 to choose from per day. Cardio, resistance, both combined, & stretch. I do what I feel like on the day from that small selection.

Mind you, I've not done ANY workouts for too long , but when I WAS working out, that's what I did; and began back at it today.

Limiting your choices WILL make you more satisfied - give it a go.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 11:21 PM  
BunnyHop

I strategically limit my options too. One, I get to do workouts I know I enjoy. Two, I spend less time thinking about what to do. Three? I actually work out more often.

In recent months, I've been satisfied with lots of Classical Stretch, rebounding, walking and an occasional other dvd workout to keep things interesting.

Sure, I've got lots to choose from, but I find it helps to cut the clutter before I start considering the possibilities for today's workout.

(For example, the current CS challenge is just what I need.)

I guess what I do, overall is figure out which workouts I like/will do, figure out what category/criteria they fulfill, and insert them in my rotation of workout options. Example, cardio, weights, whole body, flexibility/strength, yoga, meditation, etc.

My main challenge seems to be finding workouts that meet me where I am in the moment, fitness-wise, and help me push those boundaries without overdoing it. Weirdly, obsessively reviewing my options does help keep the possibilities in mind pretty much no matter what my current level of enthusiasm, strength, sleep, etc.
Old 01-13-15, 11:25 PM  
JulieIL

I agree with the paradox of choice in workouts. I have also worked out long enough to know that I must stick with something long enough to get results to keep motivated, or at least figure out if that is the component that is leading to success.

This is affecting my motivation enough that I'm considering going back to the gym & just doing the classes that are open during the time I'm there.

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 01:05 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Too much choice is a real phenomenon that decreases satisfaction. Where there are few choices, it's relatively easy to be certain that we've made the best choice possible, but when one almost needs a Ph.D. to determine the best choice, there is always lingering doubt if the best choice was made - hence the dissatisfaction component of an abundance of options. The same is true of many commodities - white goods, at the supermarket, clothing, services, .....
I'm another who just doesn't do well with plethoras and proliferations, so I'm actually thankful that my ancient computer doesn't stream!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 05:42 AM  
PhyllisG

Yes. I am feeling that way right now. I usually stick to purchasing sets and do the rotations because then I know exactly what's up for a given day. I remember when the Firm classics were all that I owned and I would do the 90 day rotation.
I rarely purchase a single DVD unless it is an instructor who I already know and it fits in to their rotations. For instance P57 two new ones.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 06:38 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Yes. I am feeling that way right now. I usually stick to purchasing sets and do the rotations because then I know exactly what's up for a given day. I remember when the Firm classics were all that I owned and I would do the 90 day rotation.
I rarely purchase a single DVD unless it is an instructor who I already know and it fits in to their rotations. For instance P57 two new ones.
This is me too If I can't plug it into a rotation or it doesn't fit a specific need (rehab, travel workout, stretching, yoga, meditation), then I try not to purchase that workout.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 06:44 AM  
anne

I feel that way but with my dvd collection. Some days it takes me an hour to decide which of my dvds to do (sometimes so long that I end up not doing anything). I review the different dvd clips on collage or totalfitness to see which grabs me at that moment and which focuses on what I want to work on that day. Yesterday, I watched each Ellen Barrett clip several times and a few Firm clips because I initially wanted to work on strength and also thought about yoga. But my shoulders are really tight right now so I finally selected Grace & Gusto. It's a real process that would be simpler if I didn't have so many dvds to choose from. But I love my dvds and the variety of workouts they offer so I don't really want to give them up. I have stopped buying a lot more though.

I feel the same way in the shampoo/conditioner/styling products aisle at the store--so many options.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, rotations, too many choices