Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-21, 10:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished WE ARE CALLED TO RISE. It was a engrossing story of serendipity within tragic circumstances, and there were some beautiful passages, but the ending left me wanting to know more about what happened.

Pam, you asked about holiday reading. I happened to pick up Santa's On His Way at a local Little Library yesterday; it's a compilation of 4 novellas:
https://www.amazon.com/Santas-His-Wa.../dp/1420148095

My mom has given me 2 different books of Christmas short stories, both years ago. The first is unique in that it's from a SciFi author, Connie Willis, Miracle and Other Christmas Stories. I've re-read it a few times, but I've much more frequently re-read Maeve Binchy's This Year It Will Be Different. A lot of those stories are Christmas gone wrong, but I just love Binchy's very unique style. Last year, I reread Binchy's novel A Week in Winter just after the holidays; that was lovely and heartwarming.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 05:38 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Anyone reading Christmas/holiday themed books?
Every year I like to squeeze in at least 1 holiday book around year end.

I am almost finished with Santa Cruise by Fern Michaels.
It is just ok. I believe it is 294 pages long and they don't even get on the cruise ship until page 131. I don't believe the author has ever been on a cruise, so many details inaccurate, some laughable like having everyone pay individually by check for everything onboard (dinner, gift shop purchases, drinks, etc).
Old 12-07-21, 05:40 PM  
Carol K

I just finished The Book of Magic. I made it last as long as I could. I'm on long waiting lists at the library for The Pessimists and The Sentence. But I'm behind on my magazines, so I can get caught up now.
Old 12-07-21, 05:42 PM  
sherry7899

I just picked up "Count the Ways" by Joyce Maynard and Dave Grohl's autobiography from my library. Both are about 400 pages and due back in two weeks. This will be a challenge!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 05:49 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I just picked up "Count the Ways" by Joyce Maynard and Dave Grohl's autobiography from my library. !
Sherry, I really liked Dave Grohl's autobiography and can't wait to see what you think about it (I think you'll love it too!). It seemed like a quick read to me.

I'm reading Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything and think it's very good so far. The Amazon description says it picks up where Atomic Habits left off. I read Atomic Habits and remember thinking it was good but don't remember anything about it.

I just finished two books that were meh - I definitely wasn't the right audience for the books - so I'm glad to be back to something interesting.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 08:43 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

As far as Christmas books go, two that I have read recently and liked include:

Dear Santa by Debbie Macomber and Christmas for Beginners by Carole Matthews.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 11:05 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I'm still working on Battle Cry of Freedom but I am getting close to finishing. Only 150 pages to go!
I also started Crying in H-Mart by Michelle Zauner. It is a memoir that I am reading for my book group and I really like it so far. I read the first 3 chapters in one sitting.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 11:54 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I reread The China Study by T. Colin Campbell PhD and Thomas M. Campbell M.D.

I just started No Time Like the Future by Michael J. Fox.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 12:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just finished WE ARE CALLED TO RISE. It was a engrossing story of serendipity within tragic circumstances, and there were some beautiful passages, but the ending left me wanting to know more about what happened.

Pam, you asked about holiday reading. I happened to pick up Santa's On His Way at a local Little Library yesterday; it's a compilation of 4 novellas:
https://www.amazon.com/Santas-His-Wa.../dp/1420148095

My mom has given me 2 different books of Christmas short stories, both years ago. The first is unique in that it's from a SciFi author, Connie Willis, Miracle and Other Christmas Stories. I've re-read it a few times, but I've much more frequently re-read Maeve Binchy's This Year It Will Be Different. A lot of those stories are Christmas gone wrong, but I just love Binchy's very unique style. Last year, I reread Binchy's novel A Week in Winter just after the holidays; that was lovely and heartwarming.
Thanks for the suggestions Beth. I just got Santa’s on His Way from the library and I have a hold on This Year it Will be Different.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 12:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished the first story of Santa's On His Way, "What the Cowboy Wants for Christmas." It was quite sappy and mostly predictable (although I was surprised by the detailed sex scenes!), but enjoyable enough for a holiday read.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of This Year it Will Be Different.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading