Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-21, 02:28 PM  
pgun3

I am going to get hated on for my comment but I am half way back to normal now. I do not wear a mask if I am not made to wear a mask. This will never be my new normal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit-...yhKGzKsOPxY4iI
Old 04-25-21, 02:54 PM  
bubbles76

No. Get used to a new normal, whatever that is. This pandemic has brought out the best and worst in people.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 04-25-21, 02:54 PM  
Gams

pgun3 - can I ask if you go into a store that has a sign up that says masks are required, you will wear one?

Last edited by Gams; 04-25-21 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 04-25-21, 02:58 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I am going to get hated on for my comment but I am half way back to normal now. I do not wear a mask if I am not made to wear a mask. This will never be my new normal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit-...yhKGzKsOPxY4iI
Well, I don't hate you! But I love discussion.

They make some interesting points. However, flow and ventilation systems making a difference is not new information, also being outdoors. Regarding their recommendations for air flow, no one is opening a window in Phoenix in the middle of the summer, or in northern states in the winter.

The article also mentioned lower rates in Texas after the mask mandate was lifted. However, that may change, especially with the new variants. Also, the demand for testing is lower, so that affects Covid rates.

But the researchers are an engineer and a mathematician. One study doesn't usually prove anything, it takes more than one study. The article did say their study was heavily peer reviewed, but I'd like to see what the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts have to say.
Old 04-25-21, 03:06 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm pretty close to normal. I totally mask in our community, but I'm not necessarily avoiding shopping or restaurants. When I visit my family (in a more rural area where basically no one masks), we follow a "when in Rome..." philosophy.

My parents are already vaccinated. I will be soon. So while we follow guidelines and such, we're still around family and friends fairly often. I'm generally a non-worrier anyway. That hasn't changed.
Old 04-25-21, 03:15 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
They make some interesting points. Air flow and ventilation systems making a difference is not new information, also being outdoors. Regarding their recommendations for air flow, no one is opening a window in Phoenix in the middle of the summer, or in northern states in the winter.

But the researchers are an engineer and a mathematician. One study doesn't usually prove anything, it takes more than one study. The article did say their study was heavily peer reviewed, but I'd like to see what the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts have to say.
I think it shows that a lot of what is widely thought to be settled science, like how much protection we get from distancing, masks, and cleaning hands or surfaces, really isn’t.

I’ve had my vaccine, and I’m not giving up my mask indoors quite yet.

I don’t think it is a surprise that six feet isn’t a magic number. Most countries used one meter, which is about three feet, and the evidence for an exact number was known to be weak.
Old 04-25-21, 03:28 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think it shows that a lot of what is widely thought to be settled science, like how much protection we get from distancing, masks, and cleaning hands or surfaces, really isn’t.

I’ve had my vaccine, and I’m not giving up my mask indoors quite yet.

I don’t think it is a surprise that six feet isn’t a magic number. Most countries used one meter, which is about three feet, and the evidence for an exact number was known to be weak.
I think the washing hands and surfaces recommendation was removed, once they discovered it didn't make a difference. They change recommendations as more info is learned.

I agree, a lot of it isn't settled science. This type of virus is completely new. It's not that I disagree with their findings, I just want it confirmed by others. One study can be done badly, or reported on badly, by the media.

I've also had my vaccine and I still wear my mask. I don't consider wearing a mask to be limiting. Although, I do feel for essential workers who have to wear them all day.
Old 04-25-21, 03:49 PM  
millie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone on the front lines.

Echoing this -- Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to everyone on the front lines.
Old 04-25-21, 03:50 PM  
Gams

Ditto what Sherry said. I also find it interesting that since these precautions were put in place, the number of cases of flu and colds have gone way down.
Old 04-25-21, 03:51 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Ditto what Sherry said. I also find it interesting that since these precautions were put in place, the number of cases of flu and colds have gone way down.
Yes, we have had almost no instances of strep or flu in our school this year.

Carol
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, pandemic, vf love