Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-19, 02:43 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Great post, Susan. And it made me feel better about my current exercise routine.

I was advanced this time last year (not working due to a layoff, so had lots of time to do those longer Cathe and Firm workouts) but right now, due to some minor injuries, a new semi-stressful job, and frankly just lack of motivation, I find myself at a beginner level again! I try to not beat myself up about it and just do what I can do.

Thanks Susan.
Old 09-18-19, 05:09 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Susan, your story is one that is so relatable and a great source of inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 05:16 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Yes, you can come back! It is hard but so rewarding.

I had major abdominal surgery last year and had to start from scratch with my endurance and strength. I took it slowly and gradually once I was allowed to exercise. It was so rewarding and actually fun because progress was quick.

Then I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands earlier this year, which meant I couldn't lift weights for a while. So I had to start over again with strength.

In June, I had a repeat of the major abdominal surgery I had last year. Again, no working out (other than walking) for a long time. My endurance is back now and I am slowly getting my strength back. I am finally using moderate weights and am excited about slowly increasing until I get back to what I was using before surgery.

I'm 52 and so grateful for the gift of fitness and the opportunity to keep coming back to my workouts and building up to where I used to be. After the abdominal surgeries, I was so weak that I thought I'd never exercise again and I am so excited and thrilled to be working my way back.

Erica
Another totally inspirational story! Many people would give up faced with a situation such as yours.

Sometimes when I'm feeling really unmotivated, I remind myself how lucky I am to have my health. Then I go through my "excuse file" and find nothing useful.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 05:50 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Moon View Post
Sometimes when I'm feeling really unmotivated, I remind myself how lucky I am to have my health. Then I go through my "excuse file" and find nothing useful.
Yes! Being healthy is such a gift! Thinking about how fortunate we are if we are healthy is such a wonderful way to keep things in perspective.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 07:08 PM  
Tugger31

I really needed to read something like this right now. I have an upcoming major surgery and post-op rehab will be 6 months. It's very depressing to know my muscles are going to atrophy and all my years of exercise are down the tubes. I do realize that being fit will help with my recovery more than someone who did not workout, but still it's a major life event to deal with. Thanks for sharing.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 07:09 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thank you for sharing! Inspirational and encouraging. Congratulations on your achievements!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 09:41 PM  
CharM

Susan, I agree with the others, you're an inspiration.
As are you, Erica. It looks like you went through so many setbacks last year, but you're hanging in there. Keep it up!

Tugger, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-19, 03:28 AM  
Anny

Thank you, Susan. So inspiring to me as I am trying to get back to workouts after a large DVT. Even my Ellen's are hard for me right now but I keep on keeping on. I can't tell you how much your story helps me!
Old 09-20-19, 09:49 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I needed to hear it. And congrats!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 07:32 AM  
SandyT

Way to go! Thanks for sharing your encouraging story.
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspiration, inspirational, restarting