Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-18, 12:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I thought rebounding was supposed to help balance?

For at least the last ten years I have made a point of working on my balance regularly. I have balance DVDs or just do things throughout the day. My balance was pretty good!

I bought a Bellicon about six months ago and have used it almost every day. Either as part of a workout or for health bouncing. I have read about rebounding improving balance. I didn't do as much other balance work as I thought I was getting a "two for one" effect from rebounding.

Well, I was dead wrong! I was doing some of my old balance workouts that used to be easy and now I'm falling over more. Tree pose used to be fairly easy for me. I tried it the other day and was really surprised at my diminished balance.

Lesson learned. I'll go back to doing my balance work and just rebound for fun. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get back to where I was.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 04:31 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I dunno, I don't think it does work balance. A rebounder is a forgiving surface. It does work different muscles than being on solid ground, but since the surface adjusts, you don't have to. On solid ground, if you do something like single-leg deadlifts, the muscles in that leg, your abs, etc. have to activate to help you balance.

Did that make any sense?? Totally my two cents.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 04:42 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I dunno, I don't think it does work balance. A rebounder is a forgiving surface. It does work different muscles than being on solid ground, but since the surface adjusts, you don't have to. On solid ground, if you do something like single-leg deadlifts, the muscles in that leg, your abs, etc. have to activate to help you balance.

I would agree. I think there are lots of benefits to rebounding, but I wouldn't include balance. Just the fact that you are using momentum to move on a springy surface is a contradiction to balance work. You need a stable load path on solid ground...and then control movement like the deadlift, leg extended , alphabet (Essentrics) etc.

I used to love to bounce on a rebounder!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 07:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don't rebound to specifically improve my balance and I don't think basic health bouncing improves balance. But I do think more intense rebounding workouts indirectly improve balance by activating the core as core strength does impact balance. Also, I have done tree pose on my rebounder and it's a lot harder than doing it on the the floor, lol.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 07:30 AM  
Rhonda

I think the balance work comes on the rebounder if you do more of standing on one leg, doing more one leg work.

Using the rebounder with both feet such as jumping, jogging, walking i wouldn't think helps with balance.

Now if I try to stand on one leg on the rebounder, I start shaking and can't hold it very long so I think that is where it helps? I don't know just my opinion.

Even trying to kick on the rebounder is tough for me as I don't have quite the balance on the rebounder as I do the floor.

Hope this makes sense but again just my opinion/observation for myself.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 08:33 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Hmm, I have not had the same experience. I use my Bellicon at least 3 times per week. I do a lot of the workouts on the be360 platform, and a lot of them do incorporate balance work. I also do balance work on the floor, Yoga, etc. I have not noticed any difference, other than the balance work is harder on the Bellicon. Like anyone else, some days my balance is better than other days. I think it is good to do balance work on and off of the rebounder.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post

Yes it does.

I have done some balance work on the Bellicon. It is an unstable surface like a balance disk or BOSU. I need to add back my balance work on a stable surface, too. Both are important!

Thanks for the replies!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:52 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Yes it does.

I have done some balance work on the Bellicon. It is an unstable surface like a balance disk or BOSU. I need to add back my balance work on a stable surface, too. Both are important!

Thanks for the replies!
I think you said it right here--you have to do "balance work." Jumping up and down on solid ground or on a rebounder doesn't really work balance. One-legged deadlifts on solid ground or rebounder would.

And I'm saying this partially for me! I so need more balance work.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 11:44 AM  
rosepetals

Rebounding helps my balance. When I first started rebounding it was hard to balance on it. Over time it improved. I suppose it depends on what kind of balance issues your having. I have MS, my balance center was damaged from the lesions in my brain. Rebounding helps to retrain the area, to develop new neurons to compensate.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, balance training, rebounding