Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-11, 09:29 AM  
Vee

Who is your number one yoga (video) instructor?

My list of favorites is so long. Rodney Yee, Erich Schiffman, eoin finn, Shiva Rea, Sarah Kline, Alan Finger, Rainbeau Mars, Jill Miller. While I wish they were less wordy, I like Baron Baptiste and Bryan Kest when I am in the mood for power yoga. Tilak hasn't released a video after Altar of the Heart. I love Altar of the Heart enough to include him in my list. I also like the other two ladies on yoga today, Adi Amar and Neesha Z. Then, I love my collection of one offs from instructors like Deb Dobbins and Christina Pedersen, Rod Stryker, Jivamukti, Total yoga.

Why is it so difficult to pick one instructor in yoga? I can quite easily do it for other styles of workouts.

In terms of style I like vinyasa and the non-vinyasa alignment focused kind. So I should be able to narrow it down to at least two, except such few do non vinyasa.

If you had to pick just one, who would it be?

I thought long and hard and have decided it has to be between Erich Schiffman and Sarah Kline. I need to think some more to cast my final vote.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 09:46 AM  
aunatural

My favorite yoga instructor is Al Bingham from the Yoga Zone series. He always injects a little humor into the workout and I just love his voice. His delivery is very down to earth and I generally like the slower pace of the Yoga Zone series. I also like that the poses are held long enough for me to actually feel the stretch. I also like Shiva Rea although I'm not a fan of flow yoga but I have her Yoga Shakti and Creative Core Abs DVDs. I'm not sure if it's the workout I like or if I just like looking at her. She is very striking and graceful. I feel like a klutz trying to keep up with her and she makes it look effortless.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 09:49 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

My favorites are Ravi Singh and Ana Brett. They work as a team so I don't really feel I can separate one from the other.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 09:54 AM  
KathAL79

My favorite favorites are Erich Schiffmann, Barbara Benagh, and Jill Miller.
My favorites include Tilak Pyle, Eoin Finn, and John Friend.
I'm starting to appreciate Rodney Yee more and more, too.
I like Shiva Rea, too, but sometimes I like the idea of her more than I like some of her videos (especially the Acacia "is it a follow along or is it a demo?" ones).

I always find it interesting that most, if not all, of my favorite yoga instructors have some Iyengar background, although for some it's more direct than others. And yet although I appreciate it I haven't really felt the pull toward pure Iyengar myself. Go figure...

I think one reason it's so hard for me to pick a favorite yoga instructor is because I learn so much from so many and because each teaches a slightly different style, and different styles appeal to me more at different times.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 10:11 AM  
mj476

This is really hard!

Favorites: Eoin Finn, Shiva Rea, Tilak Pyle
Semi-Favorites: Mark Blanchard, Tara Stiles, Sadie Nardini, Deb Dobbins, Jennifer Lynn, David Swenson, Erich Schiffmann

Marcy
Old 01-19-11, 10:13 AM  
ardnas

Too many to choose just one!
Erich, Shiva, Raviana, and Rainbeau are my favorites. Also like Michelline Berry, Zyrka, Alan Finger, Barbara Benagh, Eoin, & Tilak.
Old 01-19-11, 10:16 AM  
sherry7899

Tracey, I thought I was the only one who liked Al from Yoga Zone

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 11:04 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I design most of my practice myself but regularly incorporate sequences from Jill Miller and Barbara Benagh DVDs and CDs. Although a great deal of Rodney Yee's media is not really suitable for me, I do use 3 or 4 of his DVDs with great frequency (one, Yoga Journal's Yoga Practice for Strength, has been part of my bag of tricks since the early 90's).

And, it's hard to go more than a week or two without some Erich Schiffmann.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 12:15 PM  
Dabbadooey

If I had to pick one it would be Bryan Kest.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 01:05 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
If I had to pick one it would be Bryan Kest.
For yoga instruction or something else?
I would choose Sadie Nardini.

Tags
alan finger, favorite instructors, favorites, yoga