Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-07, 12:23 PM  
Calistro

Your favorite kettlebell workouts or instructors?

Hello,

as there seems to be a few threads about kettlebells, I was just wondering if you would mind sharing your thoughts on favorite,

1) kettleball dvds?

2) kettlebell instructors?

3) kettlebell books?

4) Who you think give good instructions or tips on form, beginner instructions etc...

5) What do you get out of it, and any physical gains, ie how is it different from weight training?.

6) how many kettlebells do you own, ie weight, and whether singles or pairs and why?

I am really a novice in this area, I have been thinking about kettlebells for a long time especially with past threads on this forum, but as I live in the uk, I was waiting to find somewhere to purchase kettlebells reasonably priced.
I think I have found a site, but if I can get ideas of where to purchase, ie websites or clips and any other useful info, I would be grateful.
I am basically looking for something different than, or to enhance traditional weight training

Thanks

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 12:50 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

1) kettleball dvds?
Instructional:
The Sarah Lurie DVD that came with my GoFit KB;
Lisa Shaffer's DVD
Agatsu
"From Russia with Tough Love"

Workout: Sarah Lurie's Volume 1 and 2 (that's as far as I've gotten)

Sarah Lurie; the AOS dude (though I haven't done his workout yet, I've browsed his website newsletter "minute of strength" clips, and he explains things well (www.artofstrength.com )

3) kettlebell books?
Lisa Shaffer's "Get in the Best Shape of Your Life"
Pavel's "Enter the Kettlebell" and "From Russia With Tough Love"
(If I only got one, it would be Shaffer's: Pavel tends to spread his info around several books, to try to get you to buy more and more.)

4) Who you think give good instructions or tips on form, beginner instructions etc...
See #1 instructional

5) What do you get out of it, and any physical gains, ie how is it different from weight training?.

I'm maintaining my muscle tone and strength on very little workout! Right now, I'm concentrating on swings as the basis of my 'practice,' and have quickly moved up in weight on them.

It different from weight training in that you get strength, cardio and flexibility all in one workout; it works the tendons and ligaments and stabilizing muscles really well; and it's fun! (I do enjoy regular weight training as well, but for the summer, I got bored, and changed from my other cardio to power walking and from my strength workouts to kettlebells).

6) how many kettlebells do you own, ie weight, and whether singles or pairs and why?
1 each 15# (my 'starter,' which is rather light now, but I still use it for TGU's and ab work and warm-ups), 20# (for cleans and assisted military presses and squats), 25# (for swings, and soon for cleans and squats); 36# (for swings, Good mornings and lat rows), 44# (for swings) -- I picked up the last two during the Perform Better sale, and thought that after that, I would be set with KB's, but I might eventually have to add a heavier one for swings).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 01:05 PM  
sewoodson
VF Supporter

Hi,
I sorry if you have looked but I have the link to everything kettlebell thread in my sig file.

1) kettleball dvds and instructors? (combining one and 2)
Workalong
Anthony DiLuglio Providence and Firepower minus Newport
Dave Whitley Power Circuit
Sarah Laurie Kettlebell Iron Core Way Vol1 and Vol2
Andrea Du Cane The Kettlebell Goddess Workout

Instructional
Pavel From Russia with Tough Love DVD
Mike Mahler-The Kettlebell Solution for Fat Loss and Mental Toughness - This comes with a ebook workout plan. It is all double kettlebell work.
Kettlebell Solution for Size and Strength-This comes with a ebook workout plan. I don't think Mike is for beginners but he does give good instruction.
Lots of people like Lisa Shaffers DVD but I dont' have that one.

3) kettlebell books?- I don't have any books.

4) Who you think give good instructions or tips on form, beginner instructions etc... Mike Mahler give pretty good instruction but he isn't for everyone and it's not really a beginner workout. I really don't think Pavel gives the best instruction. I think most people really like Lisa Shaffer's book and DVD.

5) What do you get out of it, and any physical gains, ie how is it different from weight training?
I think it is a total body workout and you can do a routine in 20-40 minutes. I don't have a scale but I measure my hips way too much and I have lost 2&1/2 inches. The weight distrubution is different with kettlebells the majority of the moves you use more muscle groups then with traditional weights.

I have the following
1-9lb
1-13
the rest are doubles
18lbs
26lbs
35lbs
44lbs
sewoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 02:07 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

1) AOS Providence, AOS Newport, Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Way Vol. 1 & 2, Lisa Shaffer's Kettlebell Basics (instructional)

2)Anthony DiLuglio, Lisa Shaffer, Sarah Lurie

3)Lisa Shaffer's Get in the Best Shape of Your Life!

4) Lisa Shaffer, Anthony DiLuglio's Minute of Strength video clips on his website

5) shorter more intense full body workouts, functional strength

6) 1 13 lb, 2 18 lb, 1 26 lb, 1 35 lb

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 02:12 PM  
suegy3

1) kettleball dvds?

Art of Strength

Anthony Dilugio (AOS)

3) kettlebell books?

Don't have one but read that Lisa Shaffer's is good.

Lisa Shaffer's instructional dvd. I haven't found that much instruction to form during the workouts except Sarah Lurie's but that is a beginner dvd.

More of a cardio effect, works more of the entire body as a whole, it's fun, and my endurance has really increased.

I use a single kb because it's cheaper. I have a 10lb (which I don't use anymore). I primarily use 18lb and 26lbs.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 03:08 PM  
Kyra

1) kettleball dvds?
I have AoS Providence, newport and firepower
Mike Mahler's KBs for size & strength, speed and endurance
Kettlebell Goddess
The AoS's are great work along DVDs, once you sort of have things down. I recommend the Goddess DVD for beginners, lots of materials to work with. Mahler's DVDs are more instructional. Interesting stuff but not must haves unless you're into what he's teaching.

Anthony DeLuglio (the AoS dude - LOL)
Lisa Shaffer
I like Mahler, but he's a little - dunno, insensitive to his female audience? Not for the thin skinned.

3) kettlebell books?
I have Lisa Shaffer's workbook; this is what I used to get started and I love it. Also, From Russia with Tough Love - good but I didn't totally connect with it, as an instructional. I have some PDFs floating around plus miscellaneous stuff I've gotten off line from Anthony, David Whitley, and others.

I like Lisa Shaffer and Andrea DuCane for this, for really raw beginners and the slightly timid. Anthony's Minutes of Strength also include some great beginner tips.

For me, it's the most time efficient way to train. I get dynamic strength training that is more applicable to what I do (endurance sports, martial arts) than straight up weight lifting. Which is not to say regular strength training is inapplicable, just that I find KB training particularly useful. I feel changes ALL the time, particulary in my dynamic stability, stances, punches, grappling, etc. (Useful core strength.)

6) how many kettlebells do you own, ie weight, and whether singles or pairs and why? I have - um, 10.
1 x 6kg (gathers dust, for the most part)
2 x 8kg
3 x 12 kg
1 x 16 kg
1 x 20 kg
1 x 24 kg
1 x 32 kg

I'd say I'm done collecting them for now, but every time I do that, I find a reason to get more KBs.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 03:27 PM  
Tish

I have 3 kettlebell workouts. My favorite is Providence. For instruction & a little easier workout I choose Iron Core Way 2. When I want something different I like to mix and match with the features from the Goddess workout.

I own 9lb (for when I'm getting tired & losing form, or trying something new, and ab work), 18 lb, 26 lb for swings, and DH has a 35 lb that I might someday grow into.

ETA: I forgot to mention how this has trimmed me really fast. In six weeks my clothes fit better, I feel tighter, I'm much stronger, and I've gained a little muscle weight (everyone assures me that's positive).
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 07:42 AM  
lioness

1. Kettlebell dvds
The Kettlebell Goddess Workout
Providence by Anthony DiLuglio

2. Instructors
Anthony DiLuglio
Andrea DuCane
Lisa Shaffer

3. Kettlebell Books
From Russia with Tough Love By Pavel
Enter the Kettlebell Book
AOS - Enter the Kettlebell Workbook by Anthony DiLuglio
Get in the Best Shape of Your Life - Lisa Shaffer

4. Who gives good instruction
I have learned form from taking a bootcamp class by I like Lisa Shaffer's book.

5. what do you get out of it, and any physical gains, ie how it is different from weight training?
It is a total body workout. I have increased strength and endurance. Much more dynamic than just weight training. Combines both cardio and strength training in one workout.

6. How many kettlebells do you own, weight, etc.
1 - 10#
1 - 14#
2 - 18#
2 - 25#
1 - 30#
My next purchase will be a 35# and 44#.

Jane
lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 03:39 PM  
Calistro

Hi,

I just want to thank everyone for your replies, I am going to research these instructors and their workouts, and let you all know how I get on.

Thanks

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 07:18 AM  
juliel
VF Supporter

great info

Hi,

Great responses!! I was thinking of getting a 26 lb kettlebell, but after reading your input, I've also decided to get another 18 lb kb + the 26.

I went to the trainer last night and I see the value of two 18 lb kbs.

I'm excited to that i've moved up to the 26 lbs (the 18 lb will still get plenty of use!!).

I'd also like to add the value of going to a personal trainer if possible.
It's been a great experience for me and very helpful with form pointers.
I just learned the Clean yesterday and it was a bit tricky with my weaker side.

thanks again ladies!
julie

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorites, kettlebell, kettlebell dvds, kettlebell instruction, kettlebells