Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-13, 06:40 AM  
andtckrtoo

How do you handle the hunger?

Hi all -

I'm not looking for diet tips - although if you have some, feel free to PM me. But lifting makes me hungry. As in "eat the house" kind of hungry. I have avoided lifting for a while because of this, but I have lost muscle strength and that's bothering me, so I'm going to resume lifting twice a week.

How do you gals handle this? Is there anything you do that helps prevent this or makes it manageable?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-13, 06:44 AM  
cristinalatina

I don't lift heavy, but to handle excessive pregnancy hunger I eat much more protein and fat. Think of an entire avocado with salt, nuts, one egg, or cheese and fruit as a snack. Try the fat part, this is the first time I've tried it (eating full-fat) and it works wonders!
Old 03-25-13, 06:45 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I am in the same boat but not due to lifting. The Tapout XT2 workouts (or any Insanity-type workouts for that matter) make me ravenously hungry.
I'm on my fourth week of the rotation and if I can control the D word, this is going to be the best rotation I've ever stuck with.

I'm all ears to any advice.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 06:46 AM  
andtckrtoo

Excellent idea, thank you. I have recently changed to a lower fat diet (not low fat), so that might be making things worse. On days I lift, I should up the fat and protein. Makes sense.

Oh and living in California means avocados are plentiful! YUM!
Old 03-25-13, 08:39 AM  
3ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
I don't lift heavy, but to handle excessive pregnancy hunger I eat much more protein and fat. Think of an entire avocado with salt, nuts, one egg, or cheese and fruit as a snack. Try the fat part, this is the first time I've tried it (eating full-fat) and it works wonders!
That's exactly what I do. Don't get hungry for hours. Protein and full fat works wonders.

Kiddy
Old 03-25-13, 08:50 AM  
deesharee

I concur - proteins and for me, healthy fats are excellent post workout...

I tend to gain weight easily, so I am afraid of the full fats...

See below...

http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-...08/page11.html
Old 03-25-13, 08:57 AM  
JP44

In addition to upping proteins & fats as already suggested, I find that crunchy things are more satisfying. I like Pretzel Flats & Trader Joe's Peanut Butter pretzels. Avoiding sugary things - including fruits other than berries - also seems to reduce hunger cravings.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 09:05 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

And experiment with what works better for you: fewer big meals, which could be more satisfying, or eating more often (but obviously a smaller amount). I agree with the healthy fats & proteins bit too. Oh, and for me? I've got to "front-load" my calories -- I eat way more in the morning than I do as the day progresses and that helps a lot!

If it's just a little bit of hunger and I'm in that space where I'm bored and just want to munch something I eat a little bit of sushi ginger -- you can buy a little cup of it at Whole Foods. It takes care of the urge to munch.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 09:08 AM  
shoegoddess

Several small meals with good protein, fat and carbs. I'm doing Body Beast with added Cardio right now. I eat alot of protein and drink protein shakes. Easter is always a tough time for my fitness because I LOVE Cadbury Mini Eggs but i just keep my eye on the prize and know that at the end of this rotation I will be stronger and my body fat % will be lower. I'm in week 5 (week 2 of Bulk) and the changes are happening.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 10:16 AM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ks View Post
That's exactly what I do. Don't get hungry for hours. Protein and full fat works wonders.

Kiddy
Sometimes after eating protein+full fat (which used to be tremendous taboo for me) 6,7,8 hours pass, and I'm starting to think, am I ever going to get hungry?

Bliss!