Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-15, 05:14 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

what is the absolute worst kettlebell dvd?

(note: this is meant to be a humorous thread)

the most unsafe, horrible, should only own for the entertainment value kettlebell dvd?

there is an infamously bad bellydance dvd that came up in conversation (*cough*Janina Rabbitt*cough) . There just HAS to be a kettlebell equivalent

OH!

how about the most insane yoga dvd?!
Old 05-07-15, 05:36 PM  
Eibhinn

I can't imagine anything will ever top Jillian Michaels' foray into kettlebells:
http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/.a/6a...e7c9970b-800wi

I've been pretty careful with my kettlebell DVD purchases and attempts in order to avoid injury, but the worst I've actually seen/tried was one of Brook Benten's. It which was too quickly paced to be safe for me, and had a bunch of moves I found questionable (upright rows, combining front lunges and woodchops in a move that results in you swinging the kettlebell toward your knee etc.). I can't really remember the details because I didn't even complete the workout (but still ended up injured from it). But lots of other people love Brooke Benten's workouts, apparently, so it's just the worst for me, I guess.

I was once provided a Bellydance Zills DVD for review purposes. When I received it, I had no idea what to do. It was mind-bogglingly bad. Sketch comedy show bad. It was so much worse than the Janine Rabbitt DVD, and I couldn't really find a nice thing to say about it. Then when the reviews started coming out for it - and the people writing them were trying so hard to be kind about what a trainwreck it was, the woman who made the video started writing to the people she provided review copies making demands about what they could or could not comment on in the reviews. I found the whole situation incredibly stressful and felt so torn about the whole thing that I just threw the DVD in the garbage. I regret it now because, with some perspective and the guilt of receiving a review copy and not writing a review having abated, I wish I had that thing for pure, insane, surrealist entertainment value.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 05:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Tonya - I have Brook's dvd that came with my 7 lb KB and the pace is quick but doable for me with a light bell. I sure wouldn't attempt it with anything over 10 lbs though. Then I bought her KB Butts & Guts and it was waaay to fast paced for the moves she was doing IMO. I ended up whacking my shin once and I Joni O'd after that!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 05:57 PM  
Eibhinn

The smallest KB I have is 10 lbs, so maybe that was just too much, but I also Joni O'd the DVD when I ended up smacking myself in the leg with the kettlebell. But that wasn't the injury - a couple of hours later I couldn't lift my left arm - crazy shoulder impingement. I clearly already had some imbalances that were laying in weight, but the straw that broke the camel's back was all of those upright rows (which I kept sitting there doing, thinking "I thought these were supposed to be bad for you" - luckily I have since learned to trust the voice in my head when it comes to such things and just go "NOPE")
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My KBs range from 4 to 15 lbs and I haven't even used my 15 lb one yet. I tend to like KB workouts with a cardio effect and, with a history of low back issues, I tend to stay with either my 7 or 10 lb one so far. I haven't done a lot of KBs so hope to go heavier eventually. Right now I am dealing with a minor shoulder issue from over using my swim paddles, but hope to get back to KBs when I get past it.

[EDIT] I hope your shoulder feels better soon! I have been doing some active release with mine, found some good clips on youtube. Let me know if you are interested and I will post the links for you.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:19 PM  
MARIKA

Brook Benton, though I did use it quite a lot always made my low back go into horrible pain during the lunge segment. I'm not one to have issues so others must have found this painful too.
Old 05-07-15, 07:18 PM  
firmaniac

The worst one for me was the 10 Minute Solution dvd w/ Michelle Olson *only* because it didn't even use a kettlebell LOL The program was safe & sound, but I was annoyed all the way through that Michelle used one dumbbell instead of a kettlebell. I was so annoyed I emailed the producer listed on the back, and she actually wrote back! We had a very cordial conversation, which went a long way towards easing my annoyance. BUT I gave away the dvd anyway.

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 07:53 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Jillian slaughters the competition.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 07:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Does anyone have and like the Amy Dixon Raise Some Bell that came out sort of recently? I remember people questioning moves in that one. Just wondering how it plays out when done instead of just watching.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 10:05 PM  
andtckrtoo

I think the hands down winner is Gin Miller... Just this preview makes me cringe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hQmF3XG2XQ

Tags
kettlebells, worst kettlebell dvd