Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-13, 03:56 PM  
OSusanna

The Firm and upping the weights

So about two weeks ago I found a rotation using the Firm's BSS1 and 2 and decided to try the 31 day intermediate program. I've had these videoTAPES!! for years and just had never done them. I read this forum every day and I get excited about possibly trying some Cathe weight videos/rotation in the future like many of you talk about, but I need to see first if a) I can really stick to a rotation and b) what kind of results that I see with weights before i spend more money. I love good step cardio and that's why I hadn't done the Firms very often in the first place.

So the rotation is going good and I will probably finish the first 31 days and may do another set. I have been very very nice to myself and have been going easy on the weights for the leg press squats and lunges to prevent too much DOMS from sidetracking me from continuing with the rotation. I am finally up to 8 lbs in each hand for the leg press. These are my biggest weights that I own and now I'm wondering the following:

It only took a couple of weeks to get to this point (I started with 3 lb weights). I am thinking that if I am not experiencing DOMS at least a little bit after each workout, then perhaps I need to scale up the weights? is this a correct assumption? If it is, how do you decide how much weight to add on to your activities?

I'm interested in hearing about your experiences!

Thanks so much!
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-13, 04:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post
I am thinking that if I am not experiencing DOMS at least a little bit after each workout, then perhaps I need to scale up the weights? is this a correct assumption? If it is, how do you decide how much weight to add on to your activities?
Nope. You can't make that assumption because some people don't ever get DOMS after their workout. I'm one of those people, so I can say this confidently. And, even if you do, that's that the thing to focus on.

The thing to focus on is how hard or not hard it is to complete the number of reps you are doing. Are you able to complete all the reps and say, "That was easy!" If so, it's time to up those weights. If you are struggling to complete the reps, then stay with the weight you are at now until you can complete them.

You are doing great! Keep up the good work. I hope you enjoy doing the workouts and learning how it's done.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-13, 05:04 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I agree with Laura. It sounds like you're making progress, and you do not need to have pain after each workout. The more you work your muscles, the less you'll have even when you really challenge them.

The problem that you'll run into with Firm workouts is that once you up the weights to a certain point, you can no longer keep the same pace as they do on the screen. With heavier weights, you need to slow down. With most Firm workouts you could probably go up to 10-12 lbs without losing the pace. You can also stay where you are, it's up to you.