Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-24, 01:24 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today I've been running errands, cleaning the house and doing food prep for the week.

Sandra, thank you for the update. It sounds like you are doing well and I'm glad the post op pain is not too intense. I would have skipped the narcotic pain med too. I haven't done well with pain meds, (they have made me puke when I tried it decades ago).

Beth, we will see Oppenheimer when it becomes available on Amazon Prime or Netflix (or I'll borrow the DVD from the library).

Linda, it's nice that Melvin will be there to help you after you have your shoulder surgery.

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 05:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to say hello!
I’m continuing with my vacation routine of alternating Callanetics and Essentrics along with daily yoga, walking, & long ocean swims.

Sandra, so glad to hear your recovery is progressing nicely!

Waving to everyone!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 07:43 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sandra, who's the joker that said the numbness by the kneecap would go away in a few months? Lol. I'm still numb on the left side of my kneecap, left leg, after all these years. Maybe yours will go away. We're all different as you know. A woman in Costco said she alternated Tylenol and Motrin after her knee replacement. I plan to do that after my shoulder surgery. Whatever works. Extension was hard for me. I had full flexion when I left the hospital. I liked the heel slides. I used my gliding discs on the recliner more than I liked pushing down on the knee. When I was done with PT at home, the first day I went to PT they had me do step-ups on a 10" bench. I was scared to try it but it was easy. My husband didn't let me see the bruising. Like you I kept my leg elevated unless I was walking or doing the exercises. I'm very glad that you're doing well. When you walk across the room and forget to use the walker it'll be time for the cane. I still have my cane. I use it for shoulder stretching.

Paine, after the thumb surgery when I was on those $#&@ narcotics Melvin moved my fat-free treats and I couldn't find them. He was watching a movie when I screamed "get out of my house! Now! Get out!" So he left. And then I really lost it because he left. I'm very lucky he understood it was the medication talking. Those pills make me crazy every time I take them. In my case puking would be a blessing. I'm really shocked that he wants to be here for another surgery.

I played with Julia today chasing balls for her. She's much too quiet. She chirps but she doesn't meow. Very different from my talkative Meow Meow.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 11:21 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end!

Mon:
MSTF. Focus - shoulders and neck. Supine super slow leg lifts - 20 each side. Bridge x 20 reps with 5 second holds at top of move. Navasana - held x 45 seconds. Cubii x 1 hour. Worked really late.

Tue:
MSTF. Focus - shoulders, neck. MELT - hands and feet. Hip mobility - clocks (from Essentrics), hemispheres (from Fit Prime), Wall squat x 2 minutes. One leg standing balance - 60 seconds each side. Added slow arm movements to add to the balance challenge. Figure 4 prep x 10 reps each side. Balance - ankle-toe rocks x 50. Heel-toe balance - stand with one foot directly in front of the other with heel of front foot directly in front of the big toe on the back foot - 30 seconds each side. Cubii x 1 hour. Ankle/foot mobility

Wed:
MSTF. Focus - shoulders, neck. BFR - plank to down dog x 10 reps with 5 second holds at top and bottom. Child's pose to modified up dog x 10 with five second hold at top and bottom of move. Kneeling hamstring curls with ball behind knee - 30 reps x 2 sets. Toe sits x 1 minute (ouch). Figure 4 prep.

Thurs:
MSTF. Focus - neck and shoulders. Figure 4 prep x 10 reps each side. Supine super slow bilateral leg lifts. Heel-to-toe balance - 60 seconds each side with arm movements for additional balance challenge. Heel to toe rocks x 50 reps. Arthritis specific moves - standing on one leg with step backs and step-outs to the side x 30 reps each leg/each direction. YT - fitmymik -10 Minute Barre Arms (the one at the beach) wearing BFR bands and using 3 lb DB's. My arms were toast at the end! Cubii x 45 minutes. Additional heel to toe rocks x 30 x 2 sets.

Fri:
MSTF. Focus - shoulders, neck, spine. Navasana x 60 second hold. Sit to stand with staggered feet - 10 reps each side. Bridge x 20 with 5 second holds at top. Heel-to-toe rocks - 60 seconds each side with arm movements for additional challenge. Ankle-foot mobility. Figure 4 Prep. MELT hands and feet. Cubii x 45 minutes.

Sat:
MSTF. Focus - shoulders, spine, neck. Navasana x 60 seconds. Sit to stand with staggered feet - 10 reps each side leading. Ankle-foot mobility. Figure 4 prep.

Sun:
MSTF. Focus - neck, shoulders, spine. Navasana x 60 seconds. YT - Senior Shape - Weight Training Workout for Seniors and Beginners/Compound Exercises for Strength. The good: Lauren is pleasant, easy to follow and moves at a pace that allows you to switch weights to heavy up or lower down when needed. The not so good: The curtsy lunges and side lunges are not friendly to my arthritic hip, so I had to modify those moves down. Clam x 20 reps, each side. Figure 4 prep.

I've been previewing some new to me YT channels for additional ideas for hip mobility and strength. One is Arthritis Adventure - Alyssa Kuhn. I upped the balance game this week with the heel to toe balance stance with bare feet and low profile running shoes, as well as adding slow arm movements in multiple directions.

Back to chat.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 11:30 AM  
JustSandra

Linda: My brother has had several surgeries through the years, and he says there is still some numbness around all of his scars. I've read about the Tylenol + Motrin combo but it doesn't seem to be mainstream yet. The heel slides are challenging in that they do take me outside my comfort zone, but I can tell the stretch I am getting is beneficial, and I've started to notice my knee feels a bit better after I do them. Give Julia a kiss and cuddle from me -- she sounds like such a sweetie!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 12:03 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Yoga for Beginners with Jane Adams (Lying Poses for Flexibility practice)

I'm so happy that "Today's Posts" in VF is still working!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 04:05 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sandra, they now put Tylenol and ibuprofen in a combination pill. I take them once in awhile. My shoulder and wrist pain is too much for CBD gummies. Even now my knee feels better after exercise. You're doing great! You're my hero! I can't imagine coming home the day of knee replacement. I was sick from the anesthesia and my doctor said it would go away on its own. Three days of not keeping food in me, everytime PT got me up I fainted. Finally they told the doctor to give me something. That was the first and last time I got sick from anesthesia. I really think it was the morphine. When I was finally mobile I walked the halls with the walker and went up and down stairs. I would've run around the parking lot if they had let me. Julia says thanks for the kisses and cuddles. She's only a cuddler at 4 or 5 a.m. when she gets cold. I just felt all my scars and the knee is the only one that's numb. Lol

Today was squats, lunges, and shoulders and wrists. When Julia takes a nap I want to try something from Peggy Cappy's Yoga for Everything? Everyone?

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 04:33 PM  
cyana

Quickie mini-chat. This day has gotten away from me.

Sandra - Glad you're continuing to do well. That Iceman unit looks interesting (I looked it up online).

Linda - I find cat "voices" to be interesting. I think the chirpers are especially cute. DS has a chirper.

Beth - Thanks for the arms play list link and the Tim yoga link. A local radio station here used to play Wet Willie's "Week-end" at 5 PM on Friday. Hope you enjoyed the movie Friday.

Paine - I roasted some sweet potatoes today, but missed the wonderful aroma of the JSP's. Haven't seen any good ones in a while.

Garrie - I used to feel the same as you about my work-outs. I confess, when chaptered DVD's came out, I regarded that as cheating, since I wasn't doing the whole work-out. Fortunately, I got over it and love the ability to mix and match shorter work-outs. I Want That Body has some good short segments and you can easily use whatever weights you need.

Pam - I'm envious of that warm ocean water. Enjoy. I could use some salty sea air at some point this year.

Pat - I watched SWFL eagles on YT today. Apparently an overachiever flapped himself out of the nest, but managed to make it back. When will the ospreys arrive in your area?

Must run - DH has whipped up a batch of leek and potato soup and he's calling me to the table.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start. Waves to ALL!

Old 03-17-24, 06:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I don't know that weekend song!

Linda, great new profile pic! You must be doing something right to keep Melvin hanging around.

Sandra sounds like you are continuing to recover nicely so far. When is your first follow-up?

Pam, how much longer are you on vacation? Your photos look amazing!

Did yoga only yesterday, some kettlebells plus yoga and Pilates today. Spent the last several hours updating passwords on my browser to try to eliminate duplicates - modern life can be a PITA sometimes!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 07:37 PM  
cyana

Here's a link for you, Beth -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MNJmfQ9LA