Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-17, 11:40 AM  
violingal3

Obsidian slide board?

I know there have been a handful of threads over the years on slide boards, I used to have one in the 90s and literally wore out two Kim Alexis Slim Slide boards doing her one VHS workout over and over!

Anyway, I saw the Obsidian slide on Celebrity Apprentice the other night and was wondering how this stood up over time for some of the VFers that tried it out. I'd love to slide again, but I want something of good quality because I will wear it out! Reading some old threads, I know there are a few other brands out there....so anyone have another board that they've tried that they're happy with?!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 05:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I saw this on Celebrity Apprentice also. Just out of curiosity I checked QVC and it's not shipping until JUNE!

I don't need one, since I have Gliders and Val-slides. But, Brooke Burke and Laila Ali sure looked great on them!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 05:59 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I bought one when they first came out, with all the DVDs and everything (more DVDs than what come with it now) and I love it!! There were issues with the ends breaking off, I think, and Mary had a lot of returns if I recall correctly because of the problem. But the company that makes the board changed the bottom piece that holds the end pieces on and as far as I know they replaced all the ones that were returned. I never had a problem with mine, but I literally just ordered a new one from QVC last month just to have a backup (I still have the original one that a lot of people had trouble with, and mine never broke, but I didn't want to tempt fate). Looks like I had good timing

Anyway, the DVDs give a lot of variety for things to do on the board. As far as the board itself, it's the only slide board I've had, so I can't compare, but I also can't complain. I know there are lots of DIY ideas on YouTube to make your own slide board, so that's an option, but I really like having the DVDs that go along with it.
Old 02-01-17, 06:24 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I agree with everything Zraipel wrote, except that one of my ends did crack after several weeks of use, I e-mailed the company, and they sent me a replacement ends right away, since then no more problems so far, I still like the board and the workouts.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 09:15 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i just ordered one on monday from QVC. i'll let you know when i receive it
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 07:51 AM  
Rhonda

I have all the DVDs but never bought the slide board. I have a slide board that is very old and came with the VHS from Kim Alexis.

Now I wonder if I need this? I guess I don't need it, I should pull out my board and use some of the DVDs that I have. Then decide if I want to upgrade to a nicer board.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 12:31 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I have all the DVDs but never bought the slide board. I have a slide board that is very old and came with the VHS from Kim Alexis.

Now I wonder if I need this? I guess I don't need it, I should pull out my board and use some of the DVDs that I have. Then decide if I want to upgrade to a nicer board.
Oh, I wish I still had my old Kim Alexis board!!

zraipel and AsSweetAsSugar - are yours both the 5' boards? Would you recommend going with 6' or are you happy with 5'? Any issues with the slide sliding? Does it stay put well enough? Sounds like the company has good customer service if you have issues with the board, so that's nice!

schoolgirl-01 - is yours on back order from qvc until June? I'm half tempted to order from the company directly if the wait time is that long!
Old 02-02-17, 01:30 PM  
Hazel Porter

I have this as well. Two things I would note: it seems very much longer to me than others I've tried (at the gym -- not consumer brands, I assume), and thus harder. You really have to push off hard, and I don't feel like the end pieces are sturdy enough to allow me to do that.

One reason they probably don't feel sturdy, though, ties in to my second issue with the board -- the darn thing won't lay flat no matter what I do! I have left it laying out heavily weighted on both ends for weeks at a time and the ends still want to pop up and roll inward. I can weight them to do the workouts, but as you push off the ends of the slide, the weights tend to work their way off the edges. I'd use the board more often if I could figure out how to fix it, but as it is, I usually grab my gliding discs instead for any sliding moves.

I have all the workouts -- the three that came with and the set of 5 or 6 that were sold separately. They are decent workouts, some of the exercises are quite challenging for the core and/or coordination, but I was surprised how little actual sliding side to side there is in the ones I've done.

Anyway, just my $.02. YMMV
Old 02-02-17, 01:59 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I have all the workouts -- the three that came with and the set of 5 or 6 that were sold separately. They are decent workouts, some of the exercises are quite challenging for the core and/or coordination, but I was surprised how little actual sliding side to side there is in the ones I've done.
Thanks for the feedback on the DVDs! Yes, just looking at some previews and it doesn't seem like a lot of actual sliding back and forth... I had the moves jotted down on paper from my old VHS workout and would put on headphones and would be able to get in a good 30-40 min cardio workout doing those continuous side to side moves. I guess that's what I would intend to do with a slide, so at this point I'm interesting in a good quality slide vs. DVDs and the whole package.
Old 02-02-17, 10:41 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I agree with Hazel about the workouts, they're quite challenging for the core (talk about burn!), I also wished there were more sliding back and forth in general, spec. on the Cardio DVD, or they should have included an extra DVD with just sliding variations for a good 30 min. (at least), that would have been fun.

About the board, I'm 5'4 and the 5' board feel good to me, I never "slided" (is that correct?) before, so I don't know if I'll like a longer one, I also think a longer one would be more challenging, not a bad thing, but for my workout space the 5' is just perfect. I usually unroll mine 15-20 min. before my workout and place two sandbags on each end, and when I get back it is ready to go. I also remember a few members here got another board from Amazon (?) and they were quite please with it too.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide board