Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-16, 07:09 PM  
killoffsonny

I have one by Kelli Roberts. It's thirty minutes. Great for a quick pilates workout. Also Suzanne Bowens pilates perfect something or other????? Those two are great.

I have thought about getting Janice Lenard but if it's 60 minutes I doubt I'd do it very often since it's not chaptered.
Old 08-02-16, 02:24 AM  
jerebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I am getting a lot of use out of Caroline Sandry's 30 Days to Flat Abs DVD. I like that the 30 day rotation is already set up for you, and that you can also individually select one of the segments.

Carol
Thanks for mentioning this one. I ordered it and it came in the mail yesterday. I'm only on day one, but I like it so far. The warm up stretches are nice, dynamic stretches. And the Level 1 Pilates was just my speed.
Old 08-02-16, 06:41 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I have one by Kelli Roberts. It's thirty minutes. Great for a quick pilates workout. Also Suzanne Bowens pilates perfect something or other????? Those two are great.

I have thought about getting Janice Lenard but if it's 60 minutes I doubt I'd do it very often since it's not chaptered.
It's a shame the Janice Lenard DVD isn't chaptered, but it's definitely worth doing. But I'm not one to do 60 minute pilates workouts either.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 06:42 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
Thanks for mentioning this one. I ordered it and it came in the mail yesterday. I'm only on day one, but I like it so far. The warm up stretches are nice, dynamic stretches. And the Level 1 Pilates was just my speed.
It's a nice DVD - you won't stay with Level 1 for long for you follow the rotation as written!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 07:54 AM  
Ann1964

I found Mari Winsor basic, advanced and 20 min workout on DVD at goodwill this week.
There were 2 more ab sculpt and bun sculpt for 2.00 each, but I already had them.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 07:59 AM  
bubbles76

What's a good pilates dvd for beginners with good form pointers? I have tried pilates dvds before, but the instructions befuddle me sometimes. Could be just me. I've tried Stott, but that's dry as dust. I don't even mind if it's fusion like Ellen Barrett or Tracey Mallett, just need clear, simple instructions, a pleasant instructor, and a bright clean set so I can see everything.

Oh, and what have been your results with pilates as far as strength, posture, and definition? Is it good for that? How long until you saw results?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 08:24 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
What's a good pilates dvd for beginners with good form pointers? I have tried pilates dvds before, but the instructions befuddle me sometimes. Could be just me. I've tried Stott, but that's dry as dust. I don't even mind if it's fusion like Ellen Barrett or Tracey Mallett, just need clear, simple instructions, a pleasant instructor, and a bright clean set so I can see everything.

Oh, and what have been your results with pilates as far as strength, posture, and definition? Is it good for that? How long until you saw results?
I think Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt has very clear instructions. I remember a move in the ab segment finally clicked for me on this dvd. I realized I wasn't actually getting it before. I can't remember the move now though. I think Pilates is good for flattening the abs and for posture.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 08:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

An oldie but goodie is Niedra Gabriel's Fit Chic Pilates which was helpful to me when I was learning the method. It is rather flamboyant but she gives very good instruction. IIRC, there is a 30 minute tutorial then when you get it down, you can use the 20 minute workout which has no instruction, it just flows with the name of the exercise appearing on the screen.

Oh lookie! Youtube freebie
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 10:27 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

I absolutely love Lara Hudson's impeccable cueing. She is very clear & tells you how to move each muscle. She is very serene & graceful.

Here is a beginner vid by her

10 minute solution pilates for beginners

My favorite is her earlier one. Bright set, good music.Nice long clip
10 Minute Solutionilates

Enjoy!

Oh, I get great results when I am consistent! Pilates gives stretched, lean muscles. I can always tell pilates instructors from instructors using other methods - they have the best posture & seem the most balanced (strength without over bulk for my personal taste). Yoga instructor bodies come close. I love the look

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 10:27 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Janice Lennard Pilates is very good, but it's 60min long and it's not chaptered.
This is why I haven't caved yet.

Tags
bernadette giorgi, favorite pilates dvds, kathy smith compilations, mtv pilates mix, pilates ball, pilates band