Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-14, 05:04 PM  
calendria

wow. I can't believe there is so many. its sort of complicated for me. there are some yoga dvds i have that don't look anything like yoga really. some look like inspired movements and the rest is more like rehab/physical therapy exercises.

there are some yoga moves that make my legs tighten up and not loosen up like I want. but a lot of the ones where you lay on your back and use a strap seem to help.

some I may end up keeping. but thank you all for the suggestions. I had no idea there was so much
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 05:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
there are some yoga dvds i have that don't look anything like yoga really. some look like inspired movements and the rest is more like rehab/physical therapy exercises.
"Yoga in the Garden of Serenity" is not a traditional yoga DVD, even though the word "yoga" appears in the title. i just acquired this in a trade recently, and i've used it about 5 times so far!

i second Jill Miller - i have her Tune Up for UB and LB CD. she uses these little rubber "high bounce" balls for the Tune Up CD.

this one you'll need a foam roller - Keli Roberts - Flexibility for the Inflexible.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 05:31 PM  
spotted zebra

Tamilee Webb's is good. Several which are suggested here unfortunately include stretches closer to yoga than I want at this time. It's hard to find an instructor who hasn't attended any yoga classes and it shows in the programs they create. I might get Bob Anderson's classic Stretching book instead.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 10:00 AM  
Pascal

For those of you have and use these DVDs (I have several mentioned, I just never seem to DO them), how do you incorporate them?

Do you do them once a week, 3x's a week, etc.?

I am coming back from a 2-year hiatus and want to do things smarter this time around!! One thing I didn't do in the past stretching, which I am going to do this time, just not sure how long each session should go, and how often I should be doing them.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-14, 10:22 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have used a lot of stretching and yoga dvds and now I do my own stretches in the evening while I watch tv. I have a reclined/seated routine that takes 45 to 60 min and I usually do it several times a week, especially if I haven't done yoga that day.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 11:48 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have used a lot of stretching and yoga dvds and now I do my own stretches in the evening while I watch tv. I have a reclined/seated routine that takes 45 to 60 min and I usually do it several times a week, especially if I haven't done yoga that day.
I do that too, Pam.

As far as the op, I find that doing more flowing, Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith type workouts that incorporate stretching, as well as barre, has helped me gain flexibility and less pain more than any stretching workout out there.
Old 08-14-14, 12:39 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I do that too, Pam.

As far as the op, I find that doing more flowing, Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith type workouts that incorporate stretching, as well as barre, has helped me gain flexibility and less pain more than any stretching workout out there.
Totally agree!! I have gained more flexibility and much less pain through Ellen and Jessica than other instructors or programs. I don't like static stretching as much as I like active stretching, so for me, they both are perfect. Jessica's dance stretch on youtube is amazing!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 12:46 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 12:51 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I do that too, Pam.

You've inspired me to get my Ellen Barrett workouts out from my closet which is where they ended up after I moved soon after getting them. Thanks for the suggestion.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 01:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
For those of you have and use these DVDs (I have several mentioned, I just never seem to DO them), how do you incorporate them?
many of the workouts i have are chaptered, and i keep a small post it in each DVD case - after the workout, i quickly jot down the segment that i did. it takes a few seconds, but it helps to refresh my memory when going back to that DVD. i do small segments here and there. rarely do i do an entire 1 hour stretch/yoga segment. sometimes, i start out saying i'll just do the 15 minute chapter on shoulders/neck. then i realize i can squeeze in another 10 min for legs. i'm finding that i do it right before bed. my normal workout time is in the mornings right before work, but i rarely do any stretching at that time, unless it's already part of the workout that i'm doing that morning.

i can do free-style stretching on the fly, right before bed. forward bends, child's pose, leg stretches, neck circles, twists.... and just lying in bed stretching works too.

some weekends, i can do a longer stretch or yoga session, like 45 min.

don't forget about youtube - the cool thing about youtube is you can see exactly how long the stretch will last prior to doing the segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
there are some yoga moves that make my legs tighten up and not loosen up like I want. but a lot of the ones where you lay on your back and use a strap seem to help.
you might want to investigate why your legs are very tight - i find that sitting too much causes this. it sounds counterintuitive - you'd think that sitting would relax your legs, but it's the opposite.

if you are sitting for most of the day, you need to get up if you can. while seated in a desk, do hover squats over your chair. for a long commute in a car, tighten your abs and glutes, do shoulder shrugs, and try not to slouch in the car.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active isolated stretch, bendy body, bent, bob cooley, christa rypins, dara torres, james knight, stretching, stretching program