Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-14, 01:24 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Thank you Alta for posting the link to Gentle Somatic Yoga. I've had severe back pain for over 15 years. I've had everything from ten epidural spinal injections to chiropractic, anywhere from every other day to every other week. The chiropractor shedules vacation around my appointments. With only one time of doing the almost 2 hour Gentle Somatic Yoga practice I am completely pain free. I do the practice every other day and it's the best 2 hours I've had in a very long time. Thanks just doesn't seem like enough!
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 01:37 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I like Jill Miller's Yoga At Home series - it's not new agey yoga, more like physical therapy and yoga combined. It's not flow yoga either, so you can skip poses that aggravate your condition.

Carol
I have really enjoyed this series. The pace allows me to really get into the moves and explore tight areas. And Jill has some interesting variations that really worked for me. I made nice progress with improving my hip flexibility. I experiment with a variety of programs and this one stands out in that it gave me very noticeable gains.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 02:13 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Jill "On Demand Pain Relief" is also excellent. I have been using it the last couple weeks and been able to get back pain under control, and also done the neck practice. Well worth the price to have that set on your shelf.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 02:34 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H View Post
Thank you Alta for posting the link to Gentle Somatic Yoga. I've had severe back pain for over 15 years. I've had everything from ten epidural spinal injections to chiropractic, anywhere from every other day to every other week. The chiropractor shedules vacation around my appointments. With only one time of doing the almost 2 hour Gentle Somatic Yoga practice I am completely pain free. I do the practice every other day and it's the best 2 hours I've had in a very long time. Thanks just doesn't seem like enough!
I'm so glad it helped!

If it is that good, you ought to post a thread about it.

It might help others, too.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 02:53 PM  
meganw

I was recently diagnosed with Sjogren syndrome and am still trying to figure it all out.
meganw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 05:06 PM  
lila_says

I too have fibro & I know daily exercise is really a non-negotiable. The pain, stiffness, exhaustion etc. are out of control if I don't work out. I also agree with everyone on eliminating a lot of problematic foods, I actually think something along the lines of Paleo &/or Candida Diet are particularly helpful.

I like intense workouts & am actually of the opinion that actual injuries aside, babying yourself in terms of workouts can actually rob you of many of their physical & psychological benefits. People with fibro need to be fit. Obviously take it easy when you need to but don't sell yourself short either. As for yoga, have you looked into Buti at all? I find yoga rather slow & dull but Buti I absolutely love. HTH
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 05:48 PM  
nairie

I'm sorry for those of us suffering with autoimmune and other diseases it's very tough. I know certain types of diets (gluten free, Paleo) may help and of course exercising (whatever type/intensity feels right for ones body) helps immensely.

I also think fish/omega oils as well as collagen/gelatin can help with pain and stiffness along with other things.

I don't have much to add, just wanted to share my experiences.

I don't have fibro but I have chronic fatigue syndrome. Which has affected moat aspects of my life one way or another. I'm extremely tired MOST of the time, been like this for many years.

Infact, Ive been in bed all day today sleepy as heck and haven't gotten my usual Saturday workout in. I usually do have energy for workouts that I love but some days, I just can't do much of anything.

I know exercise is key and helps so much but we also have to listen to our bodies as well and rest when needed.

? have to update/365
nairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 08:59 PM  
rosepetals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H View Post

I have his videos and they are very extremely effective. They take away pain so quickly. They amaze me.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 09:08 PM  
rosepetals

Fibro. is diagnosed by a rheumotologist. It seems like a process of elimination and lots of hard poking. They jab the muscles painfully with their fingers to see if they hurt. It's hard enough that I do think it would hurt a normal person.

On foods and autoimmune issues. I have been playing around with my diet for years. I finally found a combination that is allowing me to feel like healing is happening. I keep seeing progress daily. Yesterday I got into DH's truck unassisted. Normally he has to push my butt up and lift my leg. I have multiple sclerosis and fibro. My balance has improved so I don't need a cane for balance. I can tilt my head back with out falling over, move my head when walking. Before I couldn't, it would make me so dizzy I would have to grab DH's arm or fall over. My energy is improving, alertness, cog fog is leaving.

Meat has a tendency to cause autoimmune issues. It crosses the gut barrier, enters the blood stream (the protein of it) which causes autoimmune reactions. So I avoid meat. It was taught in physiology by a MD. years ago. Dairy has the same issues.

I am vegan. My diet is unprocessed foods. Nothing out of a box, can, bag. No added sugars, extra salts. I created a juice recipe that is the major thing that is helping me. It meets and exceeds most of the RDA. Another lady with MS is seeing the same types of improvements. It feels like it's restoring my quality of life.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 11:55 PM  
videofit

I've just started eating more meat (organic only) in the past month. I feel less hungry and don't have the urge to snack on sugar. As for dairy, I do notice (at least I think I do) that after eating Greek yogurt, my eyelids feel dry when I blink. I have Sjogren's and dry eye/dry mouth is a symptom. So at some point I may ditch the dairy as an experiment but eat everything else (except soy).

I noticed that any aches and pains I got went away once I started my bioidentical HRT years ago.

Tags
autoimmune disorder, fibromyalgia, gentle somatic yoga, james knight, somatic yoga